Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

• 3 weeks later...

These are not ready yet but i thought I would show you what I had done so far................(sorry if they are not very clear, I'll try to take some better photos tomorrow)

post-7447-0-38629400-1495462486_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-14104100-1495462507.jpg

post-7447-0-08931200-1495462524_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-31183500-1495462544_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-18217700-1495462565_thumb.jpg

They are not ready just yet but a couple of questions for anyone who knows.................

Has anyone tried putting eyes on a 1/76 scale figure, if so, how please ?

What uniform would a shunter with a pole's uniform been like please, the same black / charcoal colour as a guards back in the 50's / 60's ?

Thanks folks

andy

• Like 3

Some great looking figures there Andy.  Looking forward to my 7mm order.  In 1/76 scale, detailing eyes is probably not practical.  Using a wash to get some shadow in the eye sockets is one way.  Here's something:

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5153

Not railway but faces are faces.  If you google search you'll find lots of hits for painting figures.

John

• Like 1

They look great Andy - the Modelu Figures are fantastic aren't they.

I have a number of them and couldn't praise Alan enough regarding quality and service.

As far as eyes go my personal choice is to not even try - leave just flesh colour. To try to paint them can make the subject look frog eyed. An eye in 1/76 scale is less than half a mm long - if you look on a monitor at a general photo of a person and reduce to be about 20mm in height you cannot see the eyes at all.

Not sure about the shunter - my guess would be how you've painted them as hi-vis etc. was not around back then.

Stuart

Another site for figure painting (assuming nobody has already posted it) http://brifayle.ca/

Cheers,

David

That's how I do it, I think - his site is a bit hard to follow in a quick glance. Basically, I prime black, drybrush on white, then start to paint the basic colours. This creates the shadow effect he talks about. In the case of eyes, it provides the shadow that emphasizes the contours of the face. At these scales painted on eyes (i.e. painting a white eyeball and dark pupil) just looks artificial. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings - one quick question - is there any reason why I can't prime one of these figures with a Halfords aerosol primer, prior to painting, please?

Thanks.

I've used Halford white primer on all my Modelu figures (4mm). Then top coated with Humbrol enamel, although these last lot I used Vallejo Acrylics.

post-24300-0-00423000-1496571155_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-05149400-1496571140_thumb.jpg

Ready to be crewed up in some Welsh Panniers.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3

Greetings - one quick question - is there any reason why I can't prime one of these figures with a Halfords aerosol primer, prior to painting, please?

Thanks.

Before painting mine, I asked Alan what was best to clean them with, ie; thinners etc and he replied that they were already cleaned and ready to paint.

So, i didn't use primer, I just painted straight on and it was fine.

I have ' crewed ' my USA tanks.......sorry if they are not clear flash might be too much ?........ (going to crew my pannier a couple of others loco's during the week,photos to follow)

post-7447-0-20897800-1496584966_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-90428500-1496584991_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-25521100-1496585024_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-27812200-1496585096_thumb.jpg

Edited by 71H
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-29337400-1496651708_thumb.png

Tim, the figures can be undercoated with Halfords, but it needs to be misted on. It's a bit of a fine balancing act between getting an orange peel effect and too heavy coverage blocking the detail. I've now started airbrush undercoat with enamels as the control is far finer. I prep figures with a quick dunk in IPA/Tamika thinners and let them air dry before priming/undercoat.

Above figure is paired with a mix of acrylics and enamels.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Before painting mine, I asked Alan what was best to clean them with, ie; thinners etc and he replied that they were already cleaned and ready to paint.

I have ' crewed ' my USA tanks.......sorry if they are not clear flash might be too much ?........ (going to crew my pannier a couple of others loco's during the week,photos to follow)

attachicon.gifIMAG1849.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1848.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1846.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1847.jpg

Very nice, but oh those couplings! (I realise they're a means to an end).

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMAG1849.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1848.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1846.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1847.jpg

How did you manage to get your crew in the 64xx as I struggled and gave up on mine.

Hi guys, thanks for the input and feedback.  I'm just back from a weekend at Pendon where a figure painting course is being run for the second time by Tim Shackleton. As part of the days course you also get a 3D scan and 2x prints from myself.  

Priming of the figures can be done as PMP says using a mist of Halford's primer, or as I've also started doing, applying black/white/or grey acrylic via airbrush.  I find this is the best way to ensure a nice thin coating which emphasises the details.  The colour of the primer depends on the colour of the clothing of the figure in my experience, though I generally prefer to start from a black starting point as when applying thin layers of colour you have a nice base shadow. 

I use a combination of Lifecolor (primarily the Flesh, Hemp & Tarps, Leather and Blacks sets) and Vallejo Model Colour paints, all applied thinned down with Ultimate Thinners.

Course details are here and I can highly recommend it https://www.pendonmuseum.com/shop/view.php?id=164&category=19

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifIMG_0717.PNG

Tim, the figures can be undercoated with Halfords, but it needs to be misted on. It's a bit of a fine balancing act between getting an orange peel effect and too heavy coverage blocking the detail. I've now started airbrush undercoat with enamels as the control is far finer. I prep figures with a quick dunk in IPA/Tamika thinners and let them air dry before priming/undercoat.

Above figure is paired with a mix of acrylics and enamels.

Isn't it illegal to shrink people?

Seriously, that's probably the most realistic model figure I've ever seen. More life-like that many of the exhibits at Mme Tussand's, for a start.

• Like 2

Do we know many locos had this modification and why?

From what I can gather from the chap who commissioned them, they appeared to be visible during the last years of steam where the upkeep of locos weren't up to usual standards. I've found a few pictures of 9F's with the outer covers missing and so exposing the cast cylinder covers.