Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

:snapback.png

Out of interest, how long did that style of uniform last after WW1? I am looking for 4mm military figures that would suit the late 1930's.

The new battledress, blouson instead of tunic and gaiters instead of puttees, came in in 1938 I believe.

Not all branches abandoned the puttees in 1938 so you could probably find an excuse to mix both uniform styles in some early war settings. I saw this a while ago on figure sculptor Andrew Stadden's website, concerning his father's military service.

RASC troops in puttees in 1942 https://static.wixstatic.com/media/ec935c_9370d36444b148fdae1982d5eb1c6bfe~mv2.jpg

Link to Charles Stadden bio https://www.acstadden.co.uk/c-c-stadden

Edited by JohnGi

The 37 pat uniform didn't really come into effect untill 1940. All of the bef that left for France in 1939 where still wearing the 1922 pattern uniform. Though some small numbers did have 37 pat webbing and where issued with bren lmg's but by no means all. In fact the 22 pat tunic was still being manufactured into the 1960s as I used to own one that was made in 1961. The current one I own was made in 1943 and was still in major use for ceremonial duties as well as for the military police. Putties where still in use in 1940 but where phased out by the British forces mostly after that. Though alot of the commonwealth forces such as Australians, new Zealand and south African forces never went to gaiters, though the commonwealth ones where only 3 feet long as opposed to the British ones being 9 foot.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions let me know.

Dave

Yeah for some reason after ww2 the British army decided to revert back to putties. But they weren't the same as the pre war ones, they made them shorter, about a third of the length, the same size as the ones the commonwealth forces where using. I'm not really sure why they did this but they where still in use into the 80's I believe.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah for some reason after ww2 the British army decided to revert back to putties. But they weren't the same as the pre war ones, they made them shorter, about a third of the length, the same size as the ones the commonwealth forces where using. I'm not really sure why they did this but they where still in use into the 80's I believe.

I joined the RAF in 1989 and Puttees were still being issued. At the time only the RAF Regiment & RAF Police were being issued with the new ‘high leg’ combat boot. All other trades were issued the DMS (direct moulded sole) boot which required Puttees to be worn with them.

Even though I got issued ‘high leg’ boots, they still insisted on issuing me a pair of Puttees!

Edited by Banger Blue

• RMweb Gold

NEW FIGURE RELEASES

With big thanks to my summer intern Jasmin, I'm happy to (finally!) announce the release of 70 new figures to the range.  These will be followed by a second release in August of other figures and components which have been on file for some months.

These figures have been created with special thanks to Jack Shaw (GCR), Andrew Hardy (KESR), Jamie Green (SVR), Andrew Campbell, Gordon Gravett and John Cook.

INDUSTRIAL / Early 20th Century 

attachicon.gifIndustrial - Early 20thC - Seated Workmen 1406-1408.jpg

attachicon.gifIndustrial - Early 20thC - Workmen 1400-1405.jpg

INDUSTRIAL /  Mid/Late 20th Century

attachicon.gifIndustrial - Mid 20thC - Loco Crew 1460-1466.jpg

attachicon.gifIndustrial - Mid 20thC - Workmen 1430-1436.jpg

attachicon.gifIndustrial - Mid 20thC - Workmen 1436-1442.jpg

FIRST WORLD WAR / Royal Engineers

attachicon.gifMilitary - WWI - WDLR 1800-1807.jpg

RAILWAY & LINESIDE / Big 4 & British Rail

attachicon.gifRailway & Lineside - 1016-1026 1088.jpg

RAILWAY & LINESIDE / Pre-Grouping

attachicon.gifRailway & Lineside - Firemen - 1204-1217.jpg

attachicon.gifRailway & Lineside - Loco Crew - 1203-1221.jpg

attachicon.gifRailway & Lineside - Station Staff 1260-1275.jpg

Great looking pre-grouping figures, Alan. The salary budget at Farthing is set to increase!  :locomotive:

• Like 1

Apologies for continuing to drag this thread of the ModelU topic. Short puttees were used in hot climes by the British Army pre WW2, probably arriving via the Indian Army. The Brit Army introduced them to the rest of the Commonwealth by insisting commonality of uniform as they did with short gaiters.

Now i am going back to ModelU products!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, another drag away from the topic but even in sleepy Somerset my school ACF had gaiters in 1962. I am ashamed (just a little) to say that I still have them. I look forward to Alan getting some guys dressed in post second war army and navy uniforms. The only question left is will they be as impressive as a young Mick Bonwick who has clearly weathered with time!

all the best

Godfrey

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for helping my understand the correct Army/RAF uniform for c1939. Sorry to hijack the excellent Modelu thread, but before I purchased a set of the WW1 figures, I needed to ensure they matched the era I am modelling. I will definately be looking at the new workmen range though - superb figures!

• RMweb Gold

I think this answers it: 1939 BEF uniform. Any plans to run a few of these in normal dress and "off to war" dress?

I think this answers it: 1939 BEF uniform. Any plans to run a few of these in normal dress and "off to war" dress?

post-21193-0-47659400-1532337675.jpg

• Like 2

I think this answers it: 1939 BEF uniform. Any plans to run a few of these in normal dress and "off to war" dress?....

To go alongside, there are quite a few auxiliary service uniforms that might find a use: ARP, WLA, ATS, WVS, AFS, etc

Whilst this may be the standard front line infantryman the infantry in LOC, and various support troops are much less standard. As an example here are some RTR men entrained "somewhere in France". As you can see they appear to be wearing the earlier tunic.

post-14208-0-72754100-1532352201.jpg

Meanwhile the Highland Division in France in June have already abandoned wearing the gas mask case in the "ready" position

post-14208-0-56610000-1532352370.jpg

I think the 1940 position with regard to uniform is too complex and too minority interest (although I'm interested, but you couldn't make your fortune from what I will be buying!) to feature heavily in the initial Modelu range. 41-44, 0r 44-45 maybe, but not 1940

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 1

Not sure about 1940 being that much of a minority interest, there is a lot of interest among the 'wargaming' community in 1940 apparently (with several figure ranges available) and Zvezda produced some very useful 1940 plastic British figures a couple of years ago!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Alan - I sent you an email yesterday suggesting some figure poses for us USA modellers - any chance of some American style crews/figures in HO? Please! Pretty Please!!

Yes please, I will second that especially if they can be done in HO scale.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been talking with Alan recently regarding ‘North American’ figures, so they are under active consideration.

It’s worth remembering/knowing that Modelu can provide figures from their existing range printed in HO and other scales to special order.

post-68-0-24010400-1535141073_thumb.jpeg

This is a test print of a standard range figure to HO scale, posed on an P2000 SW9

I’ve been talking with Alan recently regarding ‘North American’ figures, so they are under active consideration.

It’s worth remembering/knowing that Modelu can provide figures from their existing range printed in HO and other scales to special order.

attachicon.gif4B63A2E3-21F4-41EB-8818-DCD846B31665.jpeg

This is a test print of a standard range figure to HO scale, posed on an P2000 SW9

Yes - the one that caused my post is similar, but slightly different.  - I need brakemen with tee-shirt and jeans and a baseball cap on backwards . This was a "snip" of the suggestions I sent to Alan - if anyone else has ideas - please feel free to add them

"Can I offer some other possibilities to you ( all American figures)

1.   A "flagman" in jeans and jacket/shirt/windbreaker/tee-shirt (any or all) holding a flag to stop traffic while the train crosses a road (possibly with a reversed "baseball cap")

2.   A similar item to the figure I ordered, Loco crew sku1462-087, but as a brakeman, similarly dressed as above with a base-ball cap either reversed or right way round

3.   Another brakeman  riding on the ladder of a car whilst switching,  dressed as above

4.   A switchman bending over throwing a "switch" again dressed in suitable attire

5.   A switchman with remote control "beltpack, standing/walking on the ground - again attire as above"

Any of the above could also be wearing a safety vest, and would also be popular as both African-American and as Anglo figures"

The figure,  #1462-087, which I ordered to try out has now been painted, but is still attached to its base - I've attempted to "Americanize" it into tee-shirt and jeans as a brakeman - I'm very pleased  considering that the paints used haven't been opened in about three years, that I have familial tremor in my right hand so it is wobbly,and that the figure in HO scale is slightly short of 2 cms high!

post-6688-0-06614600-1535207373_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-04080400-1535207400_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-41336100-1535207430_thumb.jpg 

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 3