Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

Same as me, couldn't understand what the problem was.

The sprues make it safer for transportation in the post plus the base gives you something to hold whilst painting.

Strange comment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

Likewise. It's not like we're talking 1970s Airfix soldiers fitted with the concrete surfboard is it? 

I prefer a bit of sprue that I can clamp in a cheap pair of mole grips. ( such bodgers tools being banned downstairs in the motorcycle / bicycle workshop ) 

That may seem a little OTT, but I only have about 75% use of my right hand and can work with both hands this way.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 01/01/2021 at 13:03, Jodeson said:

In late October I ordered a number of Modelu HO figures, when received they were on the sprues, not what I had expected and no mention made on their website that this would be their condition. I contacted Modelu who offered either for me to return the figures for a) them to remove them from the sprues and send them back or b) a  refund. I opted for a refund and the figures were posted in early November. To date no refund has been made despite reminders.

Hi David,

My sincere apologies for missing your email reminder, I've just refunded the full amount including postage.  Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

On 01/01/2021 at 13:03, Jodeson said:

In late October I ordered a number of Modelu HO figures, when received they were on the sprues, not what I had expected and no mention made on their website that this would be their condition. I contacted Modelu who offered either for me to return the figures for a) them to remove them from the sprues and send them back or b) a  refund. I opted for a refund and the figures were posted in early November. To date no refund has been made despite reminders.

Have I missed something, but what is the problem with these models being on a sprue ? These must be some of the best figures available and I have found that the models are easier to paint whilst on the sprue

• Like 1
  • Agree 16

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/01/2021 at 07:11, Enterprisingwestern said:

I shudder to think what the woman in the left hand compartment is doing!

Mike.

I would say "You should see the other one in there", but it might be too much for you!  Actually, there are two figures in there, both female, and these didn't come from Modelu.  That other supplier seems to have vanished though, unfortunately.  Clothing is scant to non-existent!  I ordered a few to practice skin tones with the lifecolor flesh paint pack, and I ended up with a few other figures.  They were actually good practice, as they had quite large areas of skin, so handy for testing washed and what colours to use, including for browner skin colours. But it meant I had some rather unusual people for a 1940s British layout.  So, I thought I'd pop them in a coach to see if anyone notices them!  My boy thinks they are hilarious.  My wife despairs at them.  

IMG_9228-cropped-close.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, MoonMonkey said:

That other supplier seems to have vanished though, unfortunately.  

If it's the one I'm thinking of (though the name escapes me) I remember looking through their website and wondering who, and how, they'd persuaded their models to pose for the scanning! If I remember rightly, the head in hand figure was designed to be sitting on something made of porcelain?! I'm not certain what the other last is doing, perhaps it's best not to ask!

They're all well painted though!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Is the reason the two blokes in flashing macs are being spoken to by the copper something to do with the scantily clad girls in the next compartment?

Forever more I will think of Sherlock Holmes as a bloke in a flasher mac...

Roy

• Funny 4

16 hours ago, MoonMonkey said:

I would say "You should see the other one in there", but it might be too much for you!  Actually, there are two figures in there, both female, and these didn't come from Modelu.  That other supplier seems to have vanished though, unfortunately.  Clothing is scant to non-existent!  I ordered a few to practice skin tones with the lifecolor flesh paint pack, and I ended up with a few other figures.  They were actually good practice, as they had quite large areas of skin, so handy for testing washed and what colours to use, including for browner skin colours. But it meant I had some rather unusual people for a 1940s British layout.  So, I thought I'd pop them in a coach to see if anyone notices them!  My boy thinks they are hilarious.  My wife despairs at them.  

Yes that figure manufacturer does seem to have completely disappeared, I did get some before they went offline (not those though) and like the two figures you have there I thought they were on the large size for 1/76 and even 1/72 (others noted it as well), shame they seem to have vanished as they had some useful figures and there looked to be more on the way!  Oh well I'm sure someone will replace them, there are also many stl files available to print figures (and other useful items) at home now so maybe the time has come to invest in a home 3d printer?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wamwig said:

Yes that figure manufacturer does seem to have completely disappeared, I did get some before they went offline (not those though) and like the two figures you have there I thought they were on the large size for 1/76 and even 1/72 (others noted it as well), shame they seem to have vanished as they had some useful figures and there looked to be more on the way!  Oh well I'm sure someone will replace them, there are also many stl files available to print figures (and other useful items) at home now so maybe the time has come to invest in a home 3d printer?

Hi wamwig, agreed, the figures are different sizes. 

The pmmstudio ones were big, suitable for foreground perhaps, but most of my figures are smaller and its a narrow board layout so tricky.  So they did stick out.  They were nice though, certainly different subjects. 

The Hardys OO ones come up slightly smaller than Modelu OO judging by the ones I got, but not too small, still suitable for sure.  They are also nice, although they come on the sprue attached by their heads which is weird, makes them harder to paint on the sprue and they may have flash on the top/head area. 

The Modelu ones come up nicely in the middle for OO, and seem to be a good fit.  They are good definition and nice to paint. 

Interestingly, the figures in the coach are actually Modelu but 1:87/HO, to ensure they fitted into the coach.  It was a tip from the Little Muddle thread.  I've got a railcar to do at some point, so I've got a mix of Modelu OO and HO seated figures to use... after all, people vary in size, and in the 1940s they probably were generally shorter.  I haven't started thinking about painting them however.  I'm trying to get my head around point motors and associated track laying.  

Just to say, I have no link to any of these suppliers, but I thought the info about comparisons, as I found them, might be useful to someone.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MoonMonkey said:

Hi wamwig, agreed, the figures are different sizes. 

The pmmstudio ones were big, suitable for foreground perhaps, but most of my figures are smaller and its a narrow board layout so tricky.  So they did stick out.  They were nice though, certainly different subjects. 

The Hardys OO ones come up slightly smaller than Modelu OO judging by the ones I got, but not too small, still suitable for sure.  They are also nice, although they come on the sprue attached by their heads which is weird, makes them harder to paint on the sprue and they may have flash on the top/head area. 

The Modelu ones come up nicely in the middle for OO, and seem to be a good fit.  They are good definition and nice to paint. 

Interestingly, the figures in the coach are actually Modelu but 1:87/HO, to ensure they fitted into the coach.  It was a tip from the Little Muddle thread.  I've got a railcar to do at some point, so I've got a mix of Modelu OO and HO seated figures to use... after all, people vary in size, and in the 1940s they probably were generally shorter.  I haven't started thinking about painting them however.  I'm trying to get my head around point motors and associated track laying.  

Just to say, I have no link to any of these suppliers, but I thought the info about comparisons, as I found them, might be useful to someone.  

An interesting comparison, my personal preference is for Modelu and Hardys figures to be 1/72 rather than 1/76, there is nothing 'scientific' in this I just prefer the little bit of extra 'bulk' for painting (and I also do a bit of smale scale military modelling which is generally 1/72 these days), that said I do have 1/72, 1/76 and 1/87 scale figures because, as you rightly say, people do come in various sizes, although my 1/87 scale ones are usually in vehicles, railway coaches or buildings where their smaller stature isn't perhaps so obvious. However we digress a little from the original subject for this topic, which is Modelu figures and components.

Anthony

On 05/02/2021 at 07:43, wamwig said:

However we digress a little from the original subject for this topic, which is Modelu figures and components

Quite right! To get us back on track, here are a couple of Modelu chaps destined for a railcar (when I get round to it!). 

IMG_9283-crop.jpg

IMG_9286-crop.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, willsheldrake said:

Interested in getting some crew for my locos but have absolutely no clue what to pick from the selection. What would everyone suggest getting for someone new to 3d printed figures.

First question would be what locos?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To be honest its difficult to pick one or two and guarantee they will look right in any given loco and sods law you often think if you'd bought them orientated the other way, they would have fitted better in another loco. The more you have , the easier it is to find the right home for them (invoice in the post Alan!).

Seating them in a bit makes a big difference - eg if they are leaning on an arm, sand a bit off so the contact point is a tight fit - in real life the weight is all in that part (that is, afterall, the general idea behind leaning on something!)

I look for the most natural positions though - the renditions are only as good as the person posing! 

Joking aside, no connection, just a satisfied customer.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2021 at 00:44, MoonMonkey said:

I ordered a few to practice skin tones with the lifecolor flesh paint pack, and I ended up with a few other figures.  They were actually good practice, as they had quite large areas of skin, so handy for testing washed and what colours to use, including for browner skin colours. 

Was that the off the cuff explanation offered to Mrs Moonmonkey when she inadvertently opened 'the package' addressed to Mr Moonmonkey ? 

"Oh.......those figures...Erm...well what it is.....I ordered a few to, ahem, cough,  practice skin tones................."

Rob

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, willsheldrake said:

A Hornby Adam's 415 and j36, thanks

The Adams Radial cab, though big from the outside, is quite cramped due to the splashers on the inside. I have used Falcon miniatures figures in mine. I have placed a driver to the backhead and fireman standing back. Obviously this could be varied with Alan's figures, though not sure how the leaning figures would fit. I would have to look again. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Obviously this could be varied with Alan's figures, though not sure how the leaning figures would fit. I would have to look again.

Where's @alanbuttler when you need him?

I'm sure there's Modelu figure that would fit an Adams Radial, it's not as if there's nothing to choose from. I've got an interest here as well! 30583 will be visiting the Isle of Portland one day, but only if somebody volunteers to drive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 10/02/2021 at 09:59, NHY 581 said:

Was that the off the cuff explanation offered to Mrs Moonmonkey when she inadvertently opened 'the package' addressed to Mr Moonmonkey ? 

"Oh.......those figures...Erm...well what it is.....I ordered a few to, ahem, cough,  practice skin tones................."

Rob

Ha, yes, there was a moment of bemused silence!   Well, it has been nearly a year in lockdown!!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Just putting this here for Alan to see when he returns.

What are your thoughts on some vintage motorbikes? I’ve seen there’s been interest over on the FB page and a few of the chaps have brought this up elsewhere on here recently. The National Motorbike museum near Brum would make a great resource for some scans ;-)

Cheers

Jay 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...