Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, it would be a great help if anyone could tell me how far the bases should be spaced apart in 4mm, that way I could work out more accurately how many I need. A dimension of the top of the concrete base would be useful too, I think I will make these myself from plastic and I can have these laid now as I want to do some ballasting.

Many thanks

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Up in Scotland, it was 9ft between roller stool bases.

Gaz.

Actually, it would be a great help if anyone could tell me how far the bases should be spaced apart in 4mm, that way I could work out more accurately how many I need. A dimension of the top of the concrete base would be useful too, I think I will make these myself from plastic and I can have these laid now as I want to do some ballasting.

Many thanks

Mike

Many thanks

Mike

It varied, both for the railway company and period. Also depending on the actual location, to suit position of cranks, point tie bar connections, compensators, etc.

It is best to research the information for your particular railway, era, etc. The LNWR generally used 7ft spacing as far as I could find out, so that is what I used.

• Like 1

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have a collection of photos for my Barrow Road project and this one shows the run of four channel rods from Engine Shed sidings box to the single slip at the south exit to the shed. Looking at the stools in relation to the track timbers the spacing is around 8 to 9 ft.

Hope this helps.

Robin

post-6970-0-95997500-1513009221_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Ive marked out what I need, ive spoken to Alan and placed an order, im going to use the shallow bases, install them, then ballast etc and glue the stools down when everything else is done as they are fragile.

.post-27-0-15252800-1513776990_thumb.jpeg

And ive been finding myself looking out for prototype shots, such as this at Warrington Dallam. With empty ones in the centre.

post-27-0-36820100-1513777035_thumb.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A simple internet search turns up several threads, including some on RMweb.

These give various figures, including 6 ft for tubular rodding, 9 ft for channel section, 6 ft to 8 ft on the GWR and possibly others.

Channel rodding comes in 18' lengths. Rollers are at 9' intervals in the middle of the run but may be slightly different to fit in at the ends or turns.

The norm would be

crank - 4'6"  - roller - 9'  - roller - 4'6" - fishplate - 4'6" - roller - 9' - roller- 4'6" - fishplate  ....etc

Edit:-

The reason for 8' spacing on the GWR was that their round rodding came in 16' lengths.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

Happy Christmas to all my friends and ever patient customers! Thank you for making 2017 such a great year for Modelu and for taking time to give feedback and to share photographs of your work. 

The workshop move has been postponed until January as I've lost a week to flu, but it is a relief to have the pressure off a little! Next year I have some exciting collaborations on the cards, some new exhibitions and some new products.  As ever the biggest challenge will be keeping new things coming whilst keeping on top of orders and shows, but I'm hoping that the move to larger premises will help. 

The attached image is the 9 best liked photos from this years Instagram, featuring the superb layouts Clutton (Tim Venton), 1920's Westcliff (Richard Butler) and Barmouth Junction (Geoff Taylor).

Have a great Christmas and all the best for 2018!

Alan

post-17930-0-47281700-1514046099_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Alan, received figure the other day. Was not expecting it till after Christmas, as only got email confirming posting the day before. Many thanks. Now I have to build the layout for it!

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Maybe ModelU could expand as a franchise with a branch on every High Street. Not only would this really get 3D printing goining, but you could then  sit back and put your feet up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For US and Canadian readers, this evening 7pm ET on the Showtime channel, there’s a documentary ‘This is Pop’ about the UK band XTC. Part of the narrative is told using Modelu 3D scans and prints, an unusual and interesting program showcasing the hobby and technology in a very different light to the norm!

http://www.sho.com/video/59571/xtc-this-is-pop

http://xtcbumperbookoffunforboysandgirls.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/showtime-xtc-documentary-charlie-thomas.html?m=1

post-68-0-25537100-1515678285_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PMP
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As a lifelong fan of XTC, my DVR is set to record tonight's show. 

Hopefully Alan will release the figures for sale in due course (I already emailed him a while back on this, and had a reasonably positive response)..

• Like 2

As a lifelong fan of XTC, my DVR is set to record tonight's show. 

Hopefully Alan will release the figures for sale in due course (I already emailed him a while back on this, and had a reasonably positive response)..

Hi John, I'll follow this up again as there was some talk of possibly adding them to the XTC merchandising range!

Hatton's 3D Scanning Event - February 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Hatton's will be hosting Modelu at their store in Widnes for a 3D Scanning Event on the following dates:

9am-5pm

Thursday 1st February
Friday 2nd February
Saturday 3rd February

The full Modelu Exhibition stand will be situated in the Hatton's shop, with 3D Body Scanning taking place at the discounted rate of £20 per scan, plus figures. Stock of figures and components from the Modelu range will also be available in N, OO and O gauge.

For more information and directions see Hatton's website event page

post-17930-0-63016800-1516889896_thumb.jpg

New Loco Fitter & Cleaner figures

Thanks to Grahame and Dave from the North Norfolk Railway there are now two new Loco Fitters and two new Loco Cleaners added to the range. These are the first of some new shed staff figures that I'll be working on this year. The new figures are now live on the webshop and I'll have stock with me at Bristol O Gauge show on the 28th.

post-17930-0-91491100-1516890025.png post-17930-0-04522000-1516890030.png

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/railway-and-lineside/1922-1967/shed-staff/

New Exhibitions

There are some new events in the Modelu calendar:

• Severn Valley Railway Open House Weekend - 7th & 8th April, Highley Engine House
  • NEWGOG - Newport O Gauge Show 14th April (Note that because I can't read a calendar, I won't be able to attend ScaleFour North this year!!)
  • Liverpool MRS Show - 21st & 22nd April
  • Taunton Railex - 27th & 28th October

In the pipeline

• Edwardian Loco Crews & Station Staff - CAD complete, waiting on stock production & addition to webshop.  Estimate in time for BRM Ally Pally all being well...
  • Seated Passengers - Looking to produce a new range in conjunction with Pendon Museum, scanning to start in April
  • Additional Rain water details - new rain hoppers CAD completed, waiting on stock production and addition to webshop.  Some time in March.
  • Platform Lamps - still on the back burner unfortunately!

• Like 4