Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

post-23776-0-63962200-1498589780.jpgpost-23776-0-97582200-1498589789.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photographs. 

Anyhow, here are 2 examples of Alan's parts (fnarr, fnarr).

Just to correct comment from early, these are the cylinder fronts with the covers missing.

This condition was common on locos in the north east towards the end of steam, particularly Tyne Dock.

However, I have seen photographs of locos with missing covers from other regions. Not many but there is photographic evidence.

9F's and Q6's were the usual suspects.

To fit the parts,you must remove the existing cylinder cover to flush with the front of the cylinder. This is quite easy. I used the flexible nail filing sticks from Boots. Exacto do a very nice set of filing sticks and blocks.

The cylinder fronts are then fitted with cyno adhesive.

The parts with the visible ribs are necessarily low relief because to have full depth would mean opening the cylinder front and possible interference with the cylinder rods. I tried to emphasise the depth by weathering the ribs lighted than the deep areas.

The other cylinder front with just a ring of bolts was also very common and I think they look equally as good.

Alan might be encouraged to make these available.

Cheers Alan. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What an amazing collection Alan! The range looks to be coming on in leaps and bounds. Some of those early figures will certainly be finding their way across the North Sea. I'll need to come up with a story involving identical twins...

PS: Would it be an idea to carry a beard with you for some of the pre-grouping scans? You could get one off a father christmas costume :locomotive:

Edited by Mikkel

Hi,

Slide rail chairs - I wouldn't worry too much about not being compatible with Butanone. You can't stick chairs to rail with Butanone anyway, despite what some might think, it just won't last. The only way to stick slide rail chairs to rail is with superglue - ideally one of the ones with rubber in them, such as Gorilla, as that makes the joint more flexible and less liable to break. Also I find that Gorilla doesn't make the plastic go brittle like some superglues do. You do have to make sure that the rail is really clean to get a good bond.

Obviously the ideal material for slide-rail chairs is metal but that probably makes it too expensive for most.

I picked up several worker figures from Pendon this week as I needed to some 1910s labourers and now I find that Farmworker 3 seems to be Jezza.

Nicely observed! Woman in Conversation 3 is probably too busy inverting her purse over Norn Iron to be scanned. :jester:

Oops! Careful, we’ll both be banned! Oh yes, just me. :blackeye:

Hi Alan,

I am after some general figures wearing bib and brace overalls, no coat, with an optional cloth cap.

I could not see any figures in your current range. Have you anything as described in the works?

Gordon A

Bristol

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan,

I am after some general figures wearing bib and brace overalls, no coat, with an optional cloth cap.

I could not see any figures in your current range. Have you anything as described in the works?

Gordon A

Bristol

You could buy yourself some b&b's, seek Alan out at an exhibition and become famous overnight?

Mike.

What an amazing collection Alan! The range looks to be coming on in leaps and bounds. Some of those early figures will certainly be finding their way across the North Sea. I'll need to come up with a story involving identical twins...

PS: Would it be an idea to carry a beard with you for some of the pre-grouping scans? You could get one off a father christmas costume :locomotive:

Thanks Mikkel, I agree about facial hair and am looking at ways of adding some digitally, perhaps transplanted from another scan of someone with a beard!

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi Gordon, it's on the list along with some more general workers in overalls for generic use. I need some for Oswestry works as well :-)

Hi,

Slide rail chairs - I wouldn't worry too much about not being compatible with Butanone. You can't stick chairs to rail with Butanone anyway, despite what some might think, it just won't last. The only way to stick slide rail chairs to rail is with superglue - ideally one of the ones with rubber in them, such as Gorilla, as that makes the joint more flexible and less liable to break. Also I find that Gorilla doesn't make the plastic go brittle like some superglues do. You do have to make sure that the rail is really clean to get a good bond.

Obviously the ideal material for slide-rail chairs is metal but that probably makes it too expensive for most.

Thanks for the info Stephen, I've a few 2mm slide chairs to post your today along with the Adlakes

You could buy yourself some b&b's, seek Alan out at an exhibition and become famous overnight?

Mike.

Mike that is plan B as I still have a bib & brace along with a cloth cap etc, but what position to pose in?

The cloth caps Alan already does look like the Geordie variety.

Gordon A

Hi Alan

Like quite a few people on here I have the Rails of Sheffield Dynamometer Car on pre order. As Rapido are doing a very detailed interior that will be begging for a team of 1930's/40's technicians to be installed and there are some very good photos of the crew do you think there may be some scope in this?

Hope so as I would be one of the first on the list!

Thanks.

Stuart

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alan,

My order of lamps and civilians arrived safely here in Australia today, they are, as previously, simply superb. The ladies will look good standing out front of a WW1 French laundry where they are washing Australian/British uniforms. I look forward to buying more figures and accessories from your future projects. A pity you don't do WW1 military figures, there are a couple of unique scenes and imagine vignettes I would like to recreate.

Cheers, and thank you,

Chris

Alan,

My order of lamps and civilians arrived safely here in Australia today, they are, as previously, simply superb. The ladies will look good standing out front of a WW1 French laundry where they are washing Australian/British uniforms. I look forward to buying more figures and accessories from your future projects. A pity you don't do WW1 military figures, there are a couple of unique scenes and imagine vignettes I would like to recreate.

Cheers, and thank you,

Chris

Alan,

Sounds like someone has thrown the gauntlet down.

Can you resist picking it up, I wonder?

Bob

• Like 1