Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

The Vallejo range is very good indeed, although it does cost more than rivals, but then the rivals have crept upwards a lot as well. The semi transparent colours are excellent for detailing most model types. There are a couple of stockists locally as wargaming shops tend to stock it.

They come in little dropper bottles which means it is easy to use very small amounts, and they stay liquid unlike some other acrylics, such as the Games Workshop Citadel range.

Boyes are a very good source in the North Midlands and northern England http://www.boyes.co.uk/storelocator/

Paul

I've used Halford's grey, white or black with good results and for painting either enamels or acrylics.  I prefer acrylics for their fast drying, mainly Lifecolor and Vallejo.  Lately I've been experimenting with applying a base layer of Lifecolor black with the airbrush as a primer as you have finer control than a rattle can. 

Lifecolor paints - https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=1363&name=lifecolor-sets&Itemid=189

Vallejo Paints - https://www.dccsupplies.com/cat-832/vallejo-model-color.htm

The Lifecolor Flesh box set I find particularly good! https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=2976&name=lifecolor-cs13-flesh-colours-paint-set&Itemid=443&category_pathway=4042

This is a great thread on the use of Vallejo paints and primers - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96995-vallejo-acrylic-paints/

Many military modellers swear by Halfords grey primer. It seems to stick to most plastics, and has a very good flat finish.

One thing most probably have not tried, is using any water based paint, on primed surface. I now use sample pots of emulsion paint, and there is a pretty good range these days. Just might have to mix some colours (eg BR green) yourself, but you must remember that all real paints used on railways varied, depending on supplier, and about of thinning done by painters(even GWR Swindon).

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I wish we had something as good in Australia as Halfords primer and their other paints. Nothing i have found is very good, so i use Tamiya spray paints which considering their size are fairly expensive.

If any Australian modellers know of anything good please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photographs. 

Anyhow, here are 2 examples of Alan's parts (fnarr, fnarr).

Just to correct comment from early, these are the cylinder fronts with the covers missing.

This condition was common on locos in the north east towards the end of steam, particularly Tyne Dock.

However, I have seen photographs of locos with missing covers from other regions. Not many but there is photographic evidence.

9F's and Q6's were the usual suspects.

To fit the parts,you must remove the existing cylinder cover to flush with the front of the cylinder. This is quite easy. I used the flexible nail filing sticks from Boots. Exacto do a very nice set of filing sticks and blocks.

The cylinder fronts are then fitted with cyno adhesive.

The parts with the visible ribs are necessarily low relief because to have full depth would mean opening the cylinder front and possible interference with the cylinder rods. I tried to emphasise the depth by weathering the ribs lighted than the deep areas.

The other cylinder front with just a ring of bolts was also very common and I think they look equally as good.

Alan might be encouraged to make these available.

Cheers Alan.

I have fitted mine to one of my WD austeritiespost-14817-0-23434100-1503792264_thumb.jpgpost-14817-0-23434100-1503792264_thumb.jpg
  • Like 3

As this thread seem to be turning into a wish list can I request some lampost bases There must be a massive market for them. The most anonymous yet common item of street furniture going......

post-17823-0-74354700-1503923172.jpg  post-17823-0-79725000-1503923270.jpg

I'm leaning on a lamp-post at the corner of the street,

In case a certain little Peckett comes by

Oh me, oh my, I hope the little Peckett comes by.

I don't know if she'll get away, She doesn't always get away,

But anyhow I know that she'll try.

But when she’s in full forward gear, the wagons have a lot to fear,

I think she might just get away this time.

Oh me, oh my, I hope the pesky Peckett comes by.

There's no other loco I would wait for, But this one I'd break any date for,

I won't have to ask what she's late for, She wouldn't have to leave me flat,

She's not a loco like that.

Oh, she's absolutely wonderful, and marvellous and beautiful.

And anyone can understand why,

I'm leaning on a lamp-post at the corner of the street

In case a certain little Peckett passes by.

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure of the practicalities of this Alan but howzabout some accurate 1950/60s motorcycles.

A selection of the more workmanlike models such as......

BSA Bantam...all models.

BSA 350/500 singles.

Panther 600

Matchless 350/500 singles.

Royal Enfield Bullet.

Any Velocette..

Francis Barnett/James two strokes..

Triumph twin.

BSA twin.......

A couple of sidecars......very common until the advent of the Mini..

Would be tricky.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Norman Lockhart would be up for scanning.

A representative of the 1950s/60s photographers........

Heres one of his images.

Rob.

post-14122-0-39230300-1503929883_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just a couple of days until Guildex, where I will have a small stock of the latest release of Pendon Figures. These figures will be stocked in 7mm at the show and will be available via the website in the usual scales soon. The figures depict women shopping and men in conversation. The third batch of figures produced for the Vale scene will be available from the Pendon museum shop and website towards the end of September.

post-17930-0-43172900-1504202292_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-86889400-1504202299_thumb.jpg

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 9

Not sure of the practicalities of this Alan but howzabout some accurate 1950/60s motorcycles.

They are doable with a 3D scanner but require considerable amounts of cleanup.  The scanner I use wouldn't be suitable, but I have contacts with the kit who could do it, whether it would be practical compared to designing in CAD is something I will have to ponder!

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They are doable with a 3D scanner but require considerable amounts of cleanup.  The scanner I use wouldn't be suitable, but I have contacts with the kit who could do it, whether it would be practical compared to designing in CAD is something I will have to ponder!

Should you decide to try this out, I will be able to source suitable subjects.

Rob.

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

Are there any future plans for other shed staff like cleaners?

Also i have a few ideas for some loco detail peices that I'd like to get printed, will be in touch soon.

Yes, cleaners, fitters, foreman, spotters and some general figures in overalls.  I will see what I can arrange with some contacts at Didcot for these :)  I'll need a load of fitters for Oswestry Works!

post-17930-0-36189600-1504213458.jpg

• Like 13

Drivers for our horse-drawn vehicles?

Thanks for this Mikkel, it was a good reminder that I have about 4 horse drawn vehicle drivers in the queue to add to the range! Also with the help of the Mendip group, there will shortly be around 20 Edwardian era figures, including crew, station masters, porters, a few passengers and these drivers.

• Like 4

I'm leaning on a lamp-post at the corner of the street,

In case a certain little Peckett comes by

I don't know if she'll get away, She doesn't always get away,

I guess you wouldn't of had to wait very long for Peckett 1896 to come along if you had been leaning this on this telegraph pole adjacent to the Scale House on Glanmor Road, Seaside.

post-508-0-34175000-1504282573.jpg

There seem to have been a distinct lack of lamposts in the area but judging by the number of local chapels there was no need for assistance see the light.

Heres a bigger pic of your Peckett

https://flic.kr/p/a79X2c

And one in colour.

https://flic.kr/p/ni19KL

I guess the splendid array of 1960's television aerials around the vicinity make up for the lack of lamposts.

Cameo inspiration in abundance.

P

• Like 4

Bloody hell, not another perversion weakness P?

Possibly?

You obviously spent most of your formative years looking at your feet. You should have been looking up man. Look up, look up!

You might have seen 625 lines of television signal.

Funny how as railway modellers we spend most of our time looking down on a layout (literally speaking) yet we don't know what the tops of buildings actually look like.

P

Possibly?

You obviously spent most of your formative years looking at your feet. You should have been looking up man. Look up, look up!

Funny how as railway modellers we spend most of our time looking down on a layout (literally speaking) yet we don't know what the tops of buildings actually look like.

P

Wasn't it 405 lines back then? I don't recollect there being 625 lines in Llanelly until the late 1960s.

BTW, my great-aunt Mary kept the 'Bryn Terrace Hotel' ,just out-of-shot to the left, the front door of which opened on to the railway.

• Like 1

Wasn't it 405 lines back then? I don't recollect there being 625 lines in Llanelly until the late 1960s.

I was just trying to be conservative and sympathetic in not giving away too much abouts Mike age.   :whistle:

BTW, my great-aunt Mary kept the 'Bryn Terrace Hotel' ,just out-of-shot to the left, the front door of which opened on to the railway.

You'll have seen this then. Still can't see many lamposts.

post-508-0-48156600-1504290659_thumb.jpg

From the Britain from Above website:

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/WAW036407

Fascinating place. Seemed like every street had a standard gauge line running down it. Hard to believe that rakes of wagons ran down between the backs of Marine Street & Burry Street.

https://goo.gl/maps/bgF3Kzuqkm32

Apologies to Mr B for the drift.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was just trying to be conservative and sympathetic in not giving away too much abouts Mike age.   :whistle:

405 lines?, luxury. Our TV was a daguerreotype.

Mike.