Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

4 hours ago, davknigh said:

Um, what about when the loco starts moving?

Cheers

David

1. It’s a shunter on the step of a Class 08.

2. Don’t move the loco.

3. Ever seen one of those money boxes where you put a coin in a slot and the lid opens, a hand comes out, takes the coin and shoots back in and the lid slams behind it? Can you imagine the faces at exhibitions? “I saw something out of the corner of my eye. Something happened. What was it?”

24 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

1. It’s a shunter on the step of a Class 08.

Check√

2. Don’t move the loco.

Hmmmm; defeats the object of a model railway but each to their own.  :smile_mini2:

3. Ever seen one of those money boxes where you put a coin in a slot and the lid opens, a hand comes out, takes the coin and shoots back in and the lid slams behind it? Can you imagine the faces at exhibitions? “I saw something out of the corner of my eye. Something happened. What was it?”

I'd prefer Tri-ang's operating mail coach!

I'm (ever so slowly) building a model of Crewe North in 1947. Since I've picked up a lot of cheap locos of eBay with broken mechanisms etc I'd love to have figures of crews climbing in to/out of locos as for what I'm modelling it's totally realistic and adds to the realism of the model.

3 hours ago, Wheres_Wally said:

Figures frozen in movement never look right to me. Drivers don't stop in mid climb for hours. You might as well have "running man on platform" again.

Indeed. It is usually the human figures that destroy the illusion.

2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

That’s it!

This is the one my mate had back in the 1960's. Scared the poop out of him even though his used to die on him in just the same way the one in the video does. More wind up reqd.

Maybe we could motorise a Modelu's shunters arm to describe big circular movements in a similar fashion. Reality achieved.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am a great fan of Alan's products, I was wowed by them as soon as I saw them for the first time and his service is quite outstanding. I always manage to buy something from his stand and indeed I managed to get scanned at an excellent event held at Pendon, highly recommended and very good value. One thing does interest me, how to best mount the figures on a layout? I have tried TackyWax, but never manage to hide the wax when seen in closeup and I do not want to glue the figures down. I actually quite like the arrangement that some white metal manufacturers adopt which is to have a spike in the leg which can be easily and neatly placed in a small hole. Given that Alan needs to support the figures off the base anyway, I was wondering if anyone else thought this might be  good move. Answers on a postcard please!

all the best

Godfrey

G'day Godfrey,

In my haste to see how some of Alan's figures worked with my locos I trimmed a couple up without leaving anything attached on their feet for handling while painting. I later used a very fine modelling drill bit (about .5mm or less and just twisted between my fingers) to make a small hole in the heels to stick in some wire. This was just for mounting for painting but should also be fine for positioning figures on the layout.

Sorry the answer is not on a postcard but it would probably take at least a week to get to you from here.

Dave R. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

I actually quite like the arrangement that some white metal manufacturers adopt which is to have a spike in the leg which can be easily and neatly placed in a small hole. Given that Alan needs to support the figures off the base anyway, I was wondering if anyone else thought this might be  good move.

I have successfully added a spike of my own with 7mm figures by drilling up a leg and using some brass rod stuck in place with superglue. It might be rather difficult in 4mm though.

P1000394_Cropped.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I have successfully added a spike of my own with 7mm figures by drilling up a leg and using some brass rod stuck in place with superglue. It might be rather difficult in 4mm though.

P1000394_Cropped.JPG

Enter him in Britain's Got Talent next year, you don't see enough Gadgy's balancing on short posts, smoking a fag wearing a flat cap...:scratchhead::rofl:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 04/06/2019 at 18:24, Killybegs said:

Works fine in 4mm, using 0.5mm dia rod

Fair enough but, with just a tiny bit of foresight, it would have saved us all the trouble if he had simply impaled the subjects on a spike before scanning.

• Funny 9

On 04/06/2019 at 17:02, Mick Bonwick said:

I could try printing them with a hole in the foot already, instead of having the usual 3 supports on the base of a foot I could try 2 and the hole.   Having just printed some LSWR platform lamps with a 0.4mm hole right through the column and base I'm thinking it could actually work..!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, alanbuttler said:

I could try printing them with a hole in the foot already, instead of having the usual 3 supports on the base of a foot I could try 2 and the hole.   Having just printed some LSWR platform lamps with a 0.4mm hole right through the column and base I'm thinking it could actually work..!

Now that is a splendid idea! Why didn't I think of it? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alanbuttler said:

Could it work with the finials?

4 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Could it work with the finials?

Potentially Stephen, though with the finials it would add another step in the clean up process to remove the uncured resin from the hole.  I've been experimenting printing the finials with a peg on the base which could be the answer

8 minutes ago, alanbuttler said:

Potentially Stephen, though with the finials it would add another step in the clean up process to remove the uncured resin from the hole.  I've been experimenting printing the finials with a peg on the base which could be the answer

That would be even better though.

• Like 1

News Update - June 2019

Hi all, it's been a busy Spring with a lot of improvements made behind the scenes on workshop processes, communication and standardising products and packet sizes.    We've launched a new website with a chat function where you can talk to me or other staff members when we are in the workshop.   There is now also a new landline number (01743 340008).   My small crew of staff are getting to grips with more complex tasks, freeing me up to get out and about working on new products and collaborations. 

New HD Resin

B9 Creations have been developing a brand new resin designed specifically for model making.   I've been beta testing the resin since March and it has outstanding model making potential.   In particular its matt grey finish and outstanding material characteristics make it highly suited to figurines and details.  I'll be using it as standard on all products to up 1/32nd scale from July.  So far it doesn't exhibit the same brittleness of 3D printed resins and as a result I've been blowing the dust of many parked projects - platform lamps being one of them!  N Gauge in particular looks exceptional.  I'll post pictures when I'm back in the workshop next week and I'll have some stock at Warminster this weekend.

This resin was first used at Pendon during Tim Shackleton's figure painting course, where I scan participants in the morning, before spending the rest of the day learning figure painting techniques.  Thanks to the lightening speed of the B9 printer, I was able to scan, edit and print the participants so they had their figurines ready to paint after lunch.  

56986805_2580555088624567_6263443205388238848_n.jpg.3fb91b4ea167918a3e3a408246d0cf7a.jpg

56857612_2580555028624573_7283603246491369472_o.jpg.f6b56066c6731290dbf83b25e13c7cac.jpg

GWR Spark Arrestor

Commissioned by Warren Shephard for his 16xx kit, this test print will be added to the range once I've had feedback from Warren in 4mm and 7mm scales.   When the ModelRail 16xx is released, I'll look at modifying the artwork to make it compatible.

62165730_2675784179101657_1467500461442465792_n.jpg.d83027d622c42d28224a181cc5a3cf51.jpg

LSWR Barley Twist Platform Lamps

It's been almost 4 years since I printed the L&Y lamps in 4mm and until now they haven't been viable to produce in any quantities.  A new resin launched by B9 has put them back on the table and I'm now experimenting with some artwork kindly provided by Martin Finney.  The image below is of a 4mm multi part print, with base, column and neck printed separately.  These components have a 0.5mm hole which in this example has a length of brass wire threaded through for stability.  Making these lamps modular will allow for a wide range of variations.  I'll be taking these print samples to Warminster this weekend for Martin to review.  I'm yet to decide on how to deal with the frames, most likely they will be a fold up etch for strength and lasercut glazing along the lines of  Shawplans laserglaze.

61840470_2675785469101528_375781587968589824_n.jpg.6117e58273d9afdfa78bd2d04e8e6575.jpg

New Loco and Rolling Stock Lamps

Thanks to Justin Newitt and John Marsh, I have the artwork for a number of new loco head lamps and rolling stock lamps.    Test prints have been successful and I now just need to modify the artwork to take the lenses.   The new lamps include:

• LNER Carriage & Goods Tail Lamps
  • LNER Brake Van Side Lamps
  • Taff Vale Railway Head Lamps (two types)
  • Cambrian Railway Head Lamps

61779220_2675785365768205_2266617523870892032_n.jpg.08029d355c1fc02d35ea36a41d68631a.jpg

62368926_2675784349101640_3787992654915043328_n.jpg.2f819abb599a3314fb0c326b2a9d92e1.jpg

New Products Available Now

2748 Shunters Pole

Another example of a product that has been right under my nose for years! The shunters poles featured in a number of figures are now available in packs of 3. 

61660650_2671686726178069_7343002407971848192_n.jpg.b642ab3ec1977eb8f136f16d6579737c.jpg

New Modern Image Engineers and Diesel Depot details

Thanks to Sean Williams and Mike Turner who brought their kit along to DEMU last weekend, there are now 7 new figures in the modern image range.  Nick Willcox from the SVR also makes an appearance!  Also added are Diesel depot details, including hanging and folded jackets/bibs, hard hats, drivers bags and rucksacks.

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/railway-and-lineside/1982-onwards/line-possession-working/

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/detailing-components/diesel-depot-details/

1254392283_Linepossesionworking.jpg.be0c682461c79bf047829d6e3ff1f99e.jpg

1840879198_Locoshedcomponents(1).jpg.2da163120a1ed6f0244346b6c157199d.jpg

New Early Industrial Loco Crews

Originally commissioned by Minerva Model Railways for the Manning Wardle K Class, these 9 crews are now available in all scales.  Thanks to Nick Willcox from the SVR for his help in the scanning and arranging volunteers. 

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/industry/early-20th-century/loco-crew-early-20th-century/

2031466875_Industrial-Early20thC-LocoCrew.jpg.bc4cd8634e5fabd0b3a9e3bf400f6a4a.jpg

Next Developments

• 2 day scanning session booked in with the Friends of Pendon for a new range of seated passengers and other civilian themed figurines
  • 70+ WWII British and American infantry, tank and artillery figurines in relaxed poses
  • Initial range of new platform and street lamps (including the Revo!)

Exhibitions

Modelu's scanning equipment will be available at the following exhibitions this year:

• Warminster 8th June
  • Railwells 10/11th August
  • Guildex 31st August / 1st September
  • Great Electric Trainshow 12th / 13th October
  • Warley 23/24th November
  • BRM Peterborough 7th / 8th December

Edited by alanbuttler
Grammar :)
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2