Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

• RMweb Gold

Notified last night that the order is in the post - good news and a very nice note from Alan thanking me for my patience. To be honest, 2-3 week turn-around is pretty good in my books for such exceptional quality made-to-order items, even better adding in the fact that he was away on holiday and was dealing with many back-orders. 

Thanks

Ian 

• 1 month later...

I like those very much. Sometimes the facial detail gets a bit blurred or vague  on 7mm figures, but those seem very crisp. Should be a delight to paint.

I'm toying with the idea of having a Sam Vimes scan done. All I need is a model, a costume and £25!

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted this today...

Figures are mainly Modelu with a couple of Bachmann - which I'm sure you can spot.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138684-gare-de-brindille/&do=findComment&comment=3341123

Just posted this today...

Figures are mainly Modelu with a couple of Bachmann - which I'm sure you can spot.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138684-gare-de-brindille/&do=findComment&comment=3341123

Outstanding Gibert. But I cannot find any figures on ModelU at greater than 1/32, and most no larger than 1/43. Were yours a special order?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Alan at T2TT in July - there was no difficulty in getting the 1/19 figures - I ordered 5 and they arrived shortly afterwards. He certainly knew that decent figures are an issue in this scale.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Does the tech allow these to be reproduced in 1/19 or at least 1/24, for garden railways (or Gauge 1)? There is a pretty limited range out there right now, between cartoonish and Bachmann's lifelike, but small range.

Yes the tech allows figures to be printed to special order in larger scales including Gauge1, worth emailing Alan to discuss. The quality of the large prints is good.

• 3 weeks later...

Outstanding Gibert. But I cannot find any figures on ModelU at greater than 1/32, and most no larger than 1/43. Were yours a special order?

Hi Mike,

I'm in process of adding 1/32nd as scale to all products, I'm not quite ready to do the same for G scale, 1/24th and 16mm.  I need to have the production capacity to deal with adding those options first, which I hope to sort in the new year.  In the meantime I'll be able to offer all the larger scales as special orders but note that they will have a longer lead time.  I'm really looking forward to producing the larger scales though, the last batch of 16mm figures I printed in grey resin looked super.

post-17930-0-92896400-1541672860_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-70830800-1541672864_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-01847800-1541672875_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I'm happy to announce the first of a number of batches of new figures.  Firstly we have 5 Edwardian era Policemen created with the kind assistance of David Brandreth.  These are available now in scale 2mm-1/32nd and can be found on the Modelu website here https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/trade-and-services/police/

The figure posed holding a bike has been designed to compliment the Southwark Models etched brass bikes available from Roxey Mouldings 

post-17930-0-27187100-1541701786_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-85375700-1541701823_thumb.jpg

The second release is a number of colliery themed figures to complement the existing range of Industrial Workmen.  These include shunters in high vis with hard hats (with thanks to Andy Hardy) and three miners, scanned at the Apedale Railway.  These are available in the Industrial section of the website.

post-17930-0-20844800-1541701974_thumb.jpg

The next release will be a large range of contemporary figures selected from the 4 years worth of scans taken at exhibitions and clubs.  Once permission for use has been obtained the range will include:

- Seated passengers

- People using handheld devices, taking phone photos, reading, taking notes

- Male passengers waiting

- Female passengers waiting

- Kids and teenagers

- Couples arm-in-arm

- Photographers

The majority of these figures will suit the modern era, though there are a number of additional figures suitable for the Edwardian and post-war period which will be added.

post-17930-0-27187100-1541701786_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-85375700-1541701823_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-20844800-1541701974_thumb.jpg

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 12

Brilliant - Once the layout is built I think we'll be needing Sgt Barnes and some of his men near Blackstone West station waiting to either talk with or to intercept the Shadowy Missenden, perhaps (in)ably assisted by Inspector Johnson of Hastings...

Incidentally, are some later 'coppers planned? I could do with a few later ones (even better if you're able to do WWII era policemen with tin 'ats, and perhaps ARP personnel, for that period.) in addition to civillians.

Actually, we need a passenger in a long overcoat, with a suitably face-hiding hat, an Edwardian, to pose as the aforementioned Shadowy Missenden...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1

The policemen are fantastic although a tad early for me but it set me thinking, would it be worth your time taking your scanning equipment to one of the many 1940s themed events at a heritage railway.

I'm aware that not all the outfits are correct but some of the people do go to an extreme effort to get things correct.

Just a thought.

AT

Nik

• Like 4

The policemen are fantastic although a tad early for me but it set me thinking, would it be worth your time taking your scanning equipment to one of the many 1940s themed events at a heritage railway.

I'm aware that not all the outfits are correct but some of the people do go to an extreme effort to get things correct.

Just a thought.

AT

Nik

Oooo... It'd be lovely to see you turn up at the Mid Hants for the War on the Line 'Christmas Leave' event, Mr Butler! You'd have to probably ask the management though - It's not for a humble porter to invite you!

Nice to see the mineworker wearing his self rescuer.

If I could perhaps make a pedantic point. The cap lamp would rarely be seen worn on the helmet around a mine surface. (where I assume most model minworkers will be seen).

In the main, the lamp head would be attached to the helmet at the workplace when both hands needed to be free.

The norm was to carry the lamphead or if not switched on to have the cable looped through a waist belt or draped around the neck. The "etiquette"  of wearing one's cap lamp was one of the first rules learnt by a new start as when worn on the helmet it could dazzle others when in conversation. Lamp heads also had "Dim-Dip" settings.

This 1977 photograph illustrates what I'm babbling on about, Sadly most of these fine fellows are no longer with us. Those that are, are somewhat more portly.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-mr-tom-mcguinness-at-the-pithead-of-his-colliery-near-bishop-auckland-20357554.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=A72A72C6-3AFA-4937-9BD2-2552FD29C7BB&p=62486&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d0%26pn%3d1%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3dtom%2520mcguinness%26qt_raw%3dtom%2520mcguinness%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d1%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3d%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3d%26cap%3d1%26cbstore%3d1%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0

The photo also illustrates the point that only one man "2nd from left" is is wearing an overall/boiler suit. Generally prior to the introduction of the NCB safetywear (orange) scheme in 1978/9 miners wore clothes brought from home and that very often included a tweed type jacket & waistcoat. In this case the man wearing a boiler suit is a 2nd year apprentice fitter just about to start his 20 days coal face and escape airway training. The NCB would supply Oilskins for those "Working Wet" and Donkey Jackets for those working in adverse conditions.

In the main, those wearing overalls (blue) would be fitters, electricians and management. A colliery manager when making an underground visit would traditionally be distinguished by wearing a white silk scarf worn cravatte style with his boiler suit and carrying a highly polished flame safety lamp plus a yardstick  (also painted white if he really liked to be noticed).

The second pic in this group of ten again shows typical miners attire for the mid 1970's. We see Mr Wilkinson wearing his muffler at the end of his shift in 1974. It could be a chilly journey after a sweaty shift at the coalface coming back to the surface. In this case walking up steep drifts of 1 in 3 & riding on conveyor belts of damp coal for a few of miles against the coal wind of ventilation If it was winter there could  be icicles at the shaft bottom due to wind chill and you could be waiting for up to fifteen minutes to get in a cage. After release from the eight man (Bent Double) cage ascent, there was still the run of a half a mile or so and mostly in the open to the pit head baths.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/history/fromthearchive/15009036.pictures-bowburn-and-coxhoe-from-the-northern-echo-archives/#gallery1

There is a glimpse in this BFI clip at 2':41' of the type of clothing worn.

P

P.s. Most collieries had some splendid examples of lamp posts in the exchange sidings. :wink_mini:

Edited by Porcy Mane

Nice to see the mineworker wearing his self rescuer.

If I could perhaps make a pedantic point. The cap lamp would rarely be seen worn on the helmet around a mine surface. (where I assume most model minworkers will be seen).

In the main, the lamp head would be attached to the helmet at the workplace when both hands needed to be free.

The norm was to carry the lamphead or if not switched on to have the cable looped through a waist belt or draped around the neck. The "etiquette"  of wearing one's cap lamp was one of the first rules learnt by a new start as when worn on the helmet it could dazzle others when in conversation. Lamp heads also had "Dim-Dip" settings.

This 1977 photograph illustrates what I'm babbling on about, Sadly most of these fine fellows are no longer with us. Those that are, are somewhat more portly.

The photo also illustrates the point that only one man "2nd from left" is is wearing an overall/boiler suit. Generally prior to the introduction of the NCB safetywear (orange) scheme in 1978/9 miners wore clothes brought from home and that very often included a tweed type jacket & waistcoat. In this case the man wearing a boiler suit is a 2nd year apprentice fitter just about to start his 20 days coal face and escape airway training. The NCB would supply Oilskins for those "Working Wet" and Donkey Jackets for those working in adverse conditions.

In the main, those wearing overalls (blue) would be fitters, electricians and management. A colliery manager when making an underground visit would traditionally be distinguished by wearing a white silk scarf worn cravatte style with his boiler suit and carrying a highly polished flame safety lamp plus a yardstick  (also painted white if he really liked to be noticed).

The second pic in this group of ten again shows typical miners attire for the mid 1970's. We see Mr Wilkinson wearing his muffler at the end of his shift in 1974. It could be a chilly journey after a sweaty shift at the coalface coming back to the surface. In this case walking up steep drifts of 1 in 3 & riding on conveyor belts of damp coal for a few of miles against the coal wind of ventilation If it was winter there could  be icicles at the shaft bottom due to wind chill and you could be waiting for up to fifteen minutes to get in a cage. After release from the eight man (Bent Double) cage ascent, there was still the run of a half a mile or so and mostly in the open to the pit head baths.

There is a glimpse in this BFI clip at 2':41' of the type of clothing worn.

P

P.s. Most collieries had some splendid examples of lamp posts in the exchange sidings. :wink_mini:

That is a splendid posting. However, it does illustrate well how difficult it will be to provide suitably clad models for any era. Official clothing changed a lot in the past 50 years as there was slow progress to higher H&S. Giving a date for such a change for one industry is great, but when did the railway workers start wearing safety vests? - and in larger scales these changed buttons from ordinary to thick rubber (or was it the other way around?). All too many layouts have railway workers clad entirely in orange which to me is relatively new cladding.

As to hair - wow I just love those young miners and their locks. Mine were shorn for joining the Civil Service in 1974.  Again did the H&S people put a stop to that, or simply fashion? Now all too many have no hair at all. I would estimate the present near hairless style became more common (and not a sign of being a Bovver boy) c 1992 - I found it very unnerving working closely with middle stream Civil Servants with crew cuts which had been far less acceptable than my long hair (which had partially returned by then).

The police were similar - those capes I've never seen, but look at a copper now - usually flat capped (which was introduced for those running around in Panda cars I believe) but a belt laden with 'tools of the trade'. With so much interest in the 60s steam/diesel era some more plainly dressed police may be popular.

Good luck to you at Modelu but you have opened a mares nest of detail! And that is without how our bodies have altered and how they varied in different parts of the country. As an example the Diddy men weren't a Ken Dodd fiction, Liverpool people were noticeably shorter when I went there in 1970 (and my mum was from the Pool and was all of 5ft 1in. ). I would suggest most working men were quite slight - except for drivers who spread then as they do now :sungum:

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 3