Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

This 1977 photograph illustrates what I'm babbling on about, Sadly most of these fine fellows are no longer with us. Those that are, are somewhat more portly.

The photo also illustrates the point that only one man "2nd from left" is is wearing an overall/boiler suit. Generally prior to the introduction of the NCB safetywear (orange) scheme in 1978/9 miners wore clothes brought from home and that very often included a tweed type jacket & waistcoat. In this case the man wearing a boiler suit is a 2nd year apprentice fitter just about to start his 20 days coal face and escape airway training. The NCB would supply Oilskins for those "Working Wet" and Donkey Jackets for those working in adverse conditions.

In the main, those wearing overalls (blue) would be fitters, electricians and management.

As I thought when it was first introduced, the Bachmann Scenecraft Miners figure set isn't '60s/'70s but (late)'70s/'80s.

• RMweb Gold

I am wondering what significant differences took place in police uniforms between Edwardian times and say the early fifties ....when I believe ranks below inspector first started wearing collared shirt and tie?

I am inclined to think those figures would not look out of place in the immediate post war period.......and during the war policeman often wore uniform helmets rather than steel helmets

Would be glad to hear other views

Regards

John

I am wondering what significant differences took place in police uniforms between Edwardian times and say the early fifties ...

Hi John, David who hired and wore the uniforms mentioned to me that one of the differences was the lack of a belt around the jacket in later uniform. Unfortunately we ran out of time to repose and rescan without the belt, but I might be able to work something out in CAD.  I'll see what I can do

• Like 2

I've just ordered a few of the 1/76 figures for the first time. Delivered next day and I have to say these are a step change in terms of realism. All of my old white metal and Bachmann figures are going to be banished to the inside of coaches!

Thanks for your order Max! I have to be honest and say next day delivery is a rarity for my ever patient customers! I'm glad you like the product  

The second release of figures scanned at Tracks to the Trenches are now available on the website. These include sappers, infantrymen, nurses and officers suitable for the British forces of the First World War. The new figures are available in scales from N to 1/32nd with G scale and 16mm available for special order. 

post-17930-0-67819300-1542296408_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-18199700-1542296421_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

I keep looking at the range of locomotive crew with an eye to putting a suitable Driver and Fireman on my Hornby J15's footplate. However despite being very open most of the space on the footplate is taken up by the wheel slashers. What figures from the Modelu range would be best as I'm really struggling to work out which ones to get?

• RMweb Gold

I might be missing something, but is there a way to filter the figures on the website by era? It seems to exist for the railway figures but not for the others. I'd quite like to, for example, see all the figures suitable for the 1950s - as it is at the moment each category seems to be sorted differently.

Edited by Nick C
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2018 at 13:35, Nick C said:

I might be missing something, but is there a way to filter the figures on the website by era? It seems to exist for the railway figures but not for the others. I'd quite like to, for example, see all the figures suitable for the 1950s - as it is at the moment each category seems to be sorted differently.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for that suggestion, I need to do some website work on tagging the figures so I'll add that to the list. I'm adding more Town & Country figures now so makes sense to tag them with the eras they are suitable for.  Thank you!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan, one side effect of your amazing human figures is that the models of animals available in plastic or whitemetal look really out of place alongside them!

Model horses are often in unrealistic "mid trot" poses, and either too chunky (in whitemetal) or undersized (in plastic - probably originally made to HO or 1:160 N). Cows tend to look similarly either over or under done.

Some prints done to your standard, especially with horses in realistic poses, with and without tack, saddles etc, and perhaps kicking their heals while harnessed to wagons etc - would be amazing!

It would also be great to have recognisable breeds of animal: both a Shire horse for road transport or shunting on steam era layouts, and something like a hunter. Likewise a highland cow would be excellent!

I guess it might be trickier to scan an animal that does tend to want to stay still, but perhaps at a County Show etc animals used to the ring might be more willing subjects?

Related question: has anyone who's had a personalised scan done included their dog (or other pet?)

Justin

On 15/02/2019 at 15:50, Stephen Freeman said:

I'd be happy to see some 7mm scale GWR slide chairs, I did send an email some time ago but still waiting to hear.

Hi Stephen,  apologies for the delay! We've just pushed through a load of webshop updates which now includes 7mm scale slide chairs.  If you'd like a sample popping the post please let me know,

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/2121/

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

Dear all, time for a long overdue update from Modelu HQ.

New Staff

We are really happy to announce that Modelu now has three staff and a fourth joining soon.  Kate has been there since the beginning on despatch. Jasmin has been working with us since June and is excellent at editing scans, helping to speed up scan processing turnaround after an exhibition. Rory started last week to assist with production of catalogue figures and development of new ranges and larger scales.  This includes G scale and 16mm, both scales of which are almost ready to launch.

New Product Range: Town & Country
With the team firing on all cylinders in the workshop, I have time to get creative with the scanner again.  First up is a new range of 16 Town & Country figures suitable for the Edwardian period up to present day.  This range is being added to frequently and new product announcements will be posted on social media and RMWeb when new figures are available. Many thanks to Alison Barker and members of the LWMRS and Mendip Group for the use of their scans.  The Town and Country range can be found here.

915635076_1500TownCountryLadies.jpg.b753360673abb555d7fec033e218e746.jpg

1209682013_1600TownCountry.jpg.43a7ba172118ab6b39a9015c7e312e37.jpg

1398398501_1700TownCountry.jpg.065fb27d6f9496f26c770fe71096d51b.jpg

New Products: Colliery Figures
A number of colliery themed figures have been created to complement the existing range of Industrial Workmen. These include shunters in high vis with hard hats (with thanks to Andy Hardy) and three miners, scanned at the Apedale Railway. These are available in the Industrial section of the website here.

07d61c78-ef49-49be-89ea-7e6e6133f542.jpg.6886b79048b42bc3d18281b047c03f4a.jpg

New Products: GWR Loco Crews
Originally commissioned for the Minerva GWR Pannier, these eight figures were created with the kind assistance of the Great Western Society at Didcot and are now available in scales N to Gauge 1 with larger scales available for special order.  The GWR Crews can be found here.

760350639_0900-07GWRLocoCrew(1).jpg.a347cf116138ef200eeb1a4cf9dcaf90.jpg

New Collaborations!

In 2018 there were a number of successful collaborations with manufacturers, with Hatton's for the P Class and Andrew Barclay and Minerva for the GWR 5700 Pannier.  This is an area that excites us the most, working with other like-minded individuals to produce the best figures to complement the best products.  We are pleased to announce a second collaboration with Minvera for the imminent O Gauge Manning Wardle K Class.   These partnerships have demonstrated what is possible when we put our heads together and we're really looking forward to more of them in 2019.

Figures for the Minerva Manning Wardle K Class are now available via the website in 7mm scale.  Thanks to Nick Willcox and volunteers at the SVR for their help with the poses.

2137372822_0228MinervaManningWardlecrews.jpg.a3a55a665b5dfd2adb40b0df2d82f508.jpg

Exhibitions

For 2019 Modelu's main focus is growing the team and product development so the exhibition schedule is lighter than previous years:

March 23rd & 24th - BRM London Festival of Railway Modelling, Alexandra Palace, London
May 25th & 26th - Railex, Stoke Mandeville Centre, Aylesbury
June 8th - Warminster Show, Warminster Civic Centre, Warminster
August 10th & 11th - RailWells, Wells Town Hall, Wells
September 7th & 8th - Guildex, Telford
October 12th & 13th - Great Electric Train Show, Milton Keynes
November 23rd & 24th - Warley, NEC Birmingham 

For a full list of events please see the Modelu Website

• Like 11

Alan,

excellent figures and beautifully painted.

I think the Town and Country "Early Twentieth Century" is rather misleading. The figures look late 1930's or early post WW2. Early 20C would be Edwardian and rather different in both men's and women's styles.

Jol

5 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I think the Town and Country "Early Twentieth Century" is rather misleading. The figures look late 1930's or early post WW2. Early 20C would be Edwardian and rather different in both men's and women's styles.

Yes good point Jol, I've been thinking the same and struggling a little to categorise clothing styles which can span many fashion era's!  The strap line should actually read "Pre War" to encompass everything prior to 1939 in theory... I'll correct it.  

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan

I am in the process of finishing off some design work on the point rodding for my layout, While I am not going to be installing the actual rollers yet (not until ballasting is finished) I want to ensure that I get my sizes correct. 

Could you confirm the width of your GWR rollers please? If I could have the width of a 2 roller and a 3 roller I can work out the requirement for anything else using the delta.  My intention is to make crude stalls to mount them on from a mix of scrap sleepers, scrap plasticard etc which will be laid before ballasting.  Then once ballasting is complete buy and fit the rollers / rodding (with the logic better to spend the money on the bit that you can see.)

Love the look of the GWR drivers / firemen, I will definitely be needing to stock up on some later in the year!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Very good news on the 16mm range - thank you!

Cheers Mike, once Ally Pally is over they will be on the website ready to order!  I'm printing them in 2 parts hollowed out with locating pegs to help align the two shells

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Could you confirm the width of your GWR rollers please? If I could have the width of a 2 roller and a 3 roller I can work out the requirement for anything else using the delta.  My intention is to make crude stalls to mount them on from a mix of scrap sleepers, scrap plasticard etc which will be laid before ballasting.  Then once ballasting is complete buy and fit the rollers / rodding (with the logic better to spend the money on the bit that you can see.)

Hi there, no problem:

2 Roller - 2.72mm

3 Roller - 3.10mm

558359213_3way.JPG.d884ec555ef6d2fe2621b3ebda3c727b.JPG191639596_2way.JPG.af59979fde241d4292291608c7466960.JPG