Jon Fitness' average 7mm signals workbench.

Twin LMS disc from MSE kit. Servo operated, LED lit DSC_1028.JPG DSC_1027.JPG

Apologies if this is a ridiculous question but are the balance arms connected to the operating linkages on the disc signals and if so how have you done it? I've got some versions from Scale Signal Supply to build and can't figure out a way to do this.

Certainly not a daft question!

Right, looking at that particular signal, I've probably done my usual cheat and and gone directly from the servos to the back blinds. These look like I've replaced the MSE ones with strip. As for the balance weights, I make sure that they are free enough to drop down under their own weight and simply solder a small piece of horizontal wire from the drive rod that goes just under the weight bar. This lifts the bar when the signal operates but drops under its own weight. One less linkage to cause problems!

Hope that helps or I'll explain further if I've been a bit vague!

Cheers

JF

• Like 2

Here's another couple of upper quadrant 3 arm shunt signals almost ready for the paint shop. These are for a BR(NE) layout so although looking LMSish they have a couple of (very) slight differences to locate them.

Both are LED lit and servo operated.

post-7179-0-57896400-1517067883_thumb.jpg

More soon

JF

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for an update I think!

Here are the latest signals I've been working on. An SR (Ex LSWR) bracket with Upper quadrant arms...

post-7179-0-84785100-1521816866_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-86675900-1521816835_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-49810900-1521816803_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-45222200-1521816765_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-26833000-1521816734_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-59694200-1521816701_thumb.jpg

and yet another LMS triple shunt signal

post-7179-0-40894600-1521816626_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-11747500-1521816602_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-52823500-1521816566_thumb.jpg

and finally another rusty disused BR(W) signal. I havent started on the weathering yet but red oxide primer seems as good a starting point as anything!

post-7179-0-16581400-1521816669_thumb.jpg

More soon

JF

• Like 9

Jon

I have found an old signal and am trying to figure out how old it may be 

It comprises the cast iron spectacle part with its pivot pin and a steel flag which has 2 corrugations

There are no markings on this (which I thought strange)

If I get it cleaned up a bit and get some pictures can you help?

Love your work by the way

Jon

I have found an old signal and am trying to figure out how old it may be 

It comprises the cast iron spectacle part with its pivot pin and a steel flag which has 2 corrugations

There are no markings on this (which I thought strange)

If I get it cleaned up a bit and get some pictures can you help?

Love your work by the way

Certainly! As you suggest, put some pics up and we'll have a look at it. If I don't know, I'm sure someone else on here would.

Cheers

JF

Here goes

I found this in what would have been the old gasworks at Pitlochry. The new southbound starter is on the other side of the line now, but I have an old film of the North line from 1965 which shows the southbound starter on the right side. I think the platforms were extended in the 80's and it looks like the signal was replaced at the same time. Rather than remove it must have been thrown down the bank into bushes where it has lain ever since

pics for you

post-25165-0-02668700-1521926870_thumb.jpg

post-25165-0-05672000-1521926888_thumb.jpg

post-25165-0-54321400-1521926898_thumb.jpg

Edited by class27
  • Like 1

Here goes

I found this in what would have been the old gasworks at Pitlochry. The new southbound starter is on the other side of the line now, but I have an old film of the North line from 1965 which shows the southbound starter on the right side. I think the platforms were extended in the 80's and it looks like the signal was replaced at the same time. Rather than remove it must have been thrown down the bank into bushes where it has lain ever since

pics for you

attachicon.gifHome Signal (1).jpg

attachicon.gifHome Signal (2).jpg

Early std UQ signal arm and spectacle.

Thanks for that, so this dates from the post war period ? Thought it strange it has no markings, most railway items are marked. It should clean up fine, I will have to make a piece for the arm where it has corroded away and try to find some lenses for it. Anyone out there got any ideas about that?

Sorry for the hijack Jon.

Thanks for that, so this dates from the post war period ? Thought it strange it has no markings, most railway items are marked. It should clean up fine, I will have to make a piece for the arm where it has corroded away and try to find some lenses for it. Anyone out there got any ideas about that?

Sorry for the hijack Jon.

Pre war, probably mid '30's at the latest.

• RMweb Gold

Pre war, probably mid '30's at the latest.

Rather amusingly just before Reading Signal Works closed back in the 1980s I had an evening look round and in the stores there were two brand spanking new (although obviously old stock) corrugated arms of that pattern but the full length version.  The Works Manager hadn't got a clue where they'd come from but I think it was probably from a former SR S&T depot taken over at the time of Regional boundary changes.  Unlike WR arms there was no manufacturing date on them so I don't know how old they were but they were in 'as new' condition.

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't get back earlier! Looks like a standard LMS corrugated arm assembly from the early 1930s before they switched to the later pressed steel spectacle plate. Nice find and probably quite rare now!

Thanks Guys for the help

I will get it all cleaned up and make up some lenses for it, and I may try to make a new flag part for it rather than repair the original. Hopefully I can use the forming machine at a local car restoration firm

Jon I may need to ask for some assistance on signalling for my O gauge micro layout which I think will all be ground signals. I will get my questions properly sorted out first though  

Best to all

• Like 1

Thanks Guys for the help

I will get it all cleaned up and make up some lenses for it, and I may try to make a new flag part for it rather than repair the original. Hopefully I can use the forming machine at a local car restoration firm

Jon I may need to ask for some assistance on signalling for my O gauge micro layout which I think will all be ground signals. I will get my questions properly sorted out first though  

Best to all

If you need any drawings I've got the LMS official drawing of the spectacle plate and blades.

Cheers

JF

• 1 month later...

So, where was I up to?

Recent developments include getting a few GW bits etched, building an Australian signal and scratchbuilding a banner repeater.

Here's the Australian one. I worked from photos on this one and a Stevens pattern arm fitted the bill. I've used an MSE arm and a BorgRail etched post. It's servo operated and LED lit and currently on its way to Auz.

post-7179-0-34690400-1526459736_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-03765500-1526459693_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-25848800-1526459662_thumb.jpg

A GWR wooden post stop signal with a rather rusty sightboard. SSS arm, Borg rail post, Modelu finial and lamp. Servo operated and LED lit.

post-7179-0-26158400-1526459862_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-51990400-1526459831_thumb.jpg

Another externally illuminated BR(W) banner repeater, totally scratchbuilt this time

post-7179-0-24215500-1526459794_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-51323600-1526459765_thumb.jpg

And a very rusty BR(W) bracket from a photgraph of one surviving on private land at Barry. Mostly SSS parts!

post-7179-0-09402200-1526459890_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-58582700-1526459922_thumb.jpg

Here's some etched parts I've had done in an attempt to keep a good supply to hand. Also trying to "improve the breed" as it were. Not quite as succesful as I hoped but you know, learning curve and all that! The course at Missenden Abbey is slowly paying off. I'll do some LMS ones next!

post-7179-0-53823600-1526460512_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-55965700-1526460479_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-20453400-1526460438_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-83033000-1526460393_thumb.jpg

More soon, including an LMS gantry!

JF

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

So, where was I up to?

Recent developments include getting a few GW bits etched, building an Australian signal and scratchbuilding a banner repeater.

Here's the Australian one. I worked from photos on this one and a Stevens pattern arm fitted the bill. I've used an MSE arm and a BorgRail etched post. It's servo operated and LED lit and currently on its way to Auz.

attachicon.gifDSC_2682.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2696.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2698.JPG

A GWR wooden post stop signal with a rather rusty sightboard. SSS arm, Borg rail post, Modelu finial and lamp. Servo operated and LED lit.

attachicon.gifDSC_2663.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2664.JPG

Another externally illuminated BR(W) banner repeater, totally scratchbuilt this time

attachicon.gifDSC_2665.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2666.JPG

And a very rusty BR(W) bracket from a photgraph of one surviving on private land at Barry. Mostly SSS parts!

attachicon.gifDSC_2662.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2659.JPG

Here's some etched parts I've had done in an attempt to keep a good supply to hand. Also trying to "improve the breed" as it were. Not quite as succesful as I hoped but you know, learning curve and all that! The course at Missenden Abbey is slowly paying off. I'll do some LMS ones next!

attachicon.gifDSC_2651.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2654.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2655.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2656.JPG

More soon, including an LMS gantry!

JF

I feel your pain with the etches.  I've been there myself on a few occasions.

As a matter of interest, why have you chosen brass over nickel silver for the etches?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I suspect that photo etching has come long way since i was doing a lot of it in the last century.  Certainly the likes of Extreme Etchings work in stainless steel shows how finely you can etch these days.

I have always used brass for the 'big stuff' in 7/8ths and 16 mm scales, but tended towards nickel silver in the smaller scales.

If you have to start bending or curving the etch, then brass is certainly easier to use as nickel silver seems to have a lot more spring in it.

TurboCAD is my platform for drawing:  producing .dxf files means I can send off drawings to the etching company, the laser cutters or send files to my Curio cutter.

I did try some of the recommended programs such as Inkscape for the Curio, but found that it was a case of learning new things and yet the older program would do the same, if not better.

Keep up the good work and as a suggestion for your next project, how about building an ex GWR double independent ground signal?  I need to see how a clever person would put one together.

Edit: for horrendous spelling

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

Ooh I think that's covered by Scale Signal Supply isn't it?. I think my next etches will be LMS corrugated arms, the later GW pressed steel blades and an improved version of the GW spec plates I've just done to remove the mistakes I made first time!

JF

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ooh I think that's covered by Scale Signal Supply isn't it?. I think my next etches will be LMS corrugated arms, the later GW pressed steel blades and an improved version of the GW spec plates I've just done to remove the mistakes I made first time!

JF

Yes it is.

A friend of mine picked the kit up for me at the G0G show at Doncaster.

Having opened it up, and had a good look at it, I think I'll be doing a bit of mixing and matching between the SSS and the pair of GW single discs I previously purchased from MSE.

Probably the SSS body and the MSE etched discs rather the cast ones which look a tad undersized.

I can see why you are getting some of your own parts etched up.

Getting the lamps lit might be an interesting exercise.

• Like 1