Graham_Muz

Sounds interesting Graham, nothing wrong with the odd Bulleid backing some wagons in either. I spent a lot of time on the Dockside in Southampton when I lived down there, and there's a lot of atmosphere to had in a small area.

All the best with this project.

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering if a smaller port might make a more convincing location (ahem, Poole, for instance ;) ). The B4 could fit in for your time period, I think. But it wouldn't allow for prototypical use of a USA tank.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

By choosing Canute Road I am invisaging an older much smaller less developed Quay location slightly north of the main docks on the River Itchen rather than River Test somewhere around where the Ocean Village development is now.

The enables the justification of the USA tanks as a turn from the main docks.  

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The Ocean Village area was originally the oldest part of the Old Docks, comprising a number of docks and basins that have mostly been filled in, so in your period both USA and B4 classes would have worked that area.

Some of the privately owned wharfs and quays on the Itchen were rail served by tramways off the main line and your layout could easily represent a fictitious version of one of those. Some used their own locos so could justify a loco shed (and a suitable loco), while also using SR/BR power (probably B4s).

I look forward to developments.

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A now ex-webber was planning a Dibles Wharf based layout a few years ago: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40977-corralls-coal-depot-in-stmarys-southampton/ .

Now retired, I no longer have access to the Council's GIS mapping resources for historic track plans of the Itchen Quays but on-line resources are available.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I should be collecting the laser cut baseboard components from Tim Horn at scaleforum next weekend so things are moving along, better go and buy some good quality wood glue and paint now.

I've still to decide whether the final colour of the front fascia will be black or dark green... any thoughts?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I should be collecting the laser cut baseboard components from Tim Horn at scaleforum next weekend so things are moving along, better go and buy some good quality wood glue and paint now.

I've still to decide whether the final colour of the front fascia will be black or dark green... any thoughts?

Chocolate and cream is a nice combination Graham...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies so far (well most of them mentioning no names...Rob...) I was already leaning towards black, one thing it won't be is the muddy brown and dirty white suggestion...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a USA Tank on order with the intention of building something pretty similar, so I'll be watching how this develops.

I was drawing inspiration from 'Southern Rails on Southampton Docks: Including the Industrial Lines Of Southampton' by Ian Drummond and published by Holne Publishing.

Mine, provisionally called 'Dibles Wharf', will be set slightly further up stream along the River Itchen, between the site of the former floating bridge which was replaced by the current Itchen Bridge, and the area now occupied by St Mary's Stadium.

A weathered BR late-liveried USA Tank, a green 07 and something industrial will 'float my boat'.

http://www.southern-images.co.uk/lightbox/gallery/333-0.html

http://www.wimrail.org.uk/mag/Corkscrew054.pdf

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies so far (well most of them mentioning no names...Rob...) I was already leaning towards black, one thing it won't be is the muddy brown and dirty white suggestion...

It's got to be green of some shade, Graham.

Either that, or Crimson Lake?  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Maybe surprisngly to some I am leaning towards black facias rather than green.

I am looking forward to picking up the Tim Horn baseboard components at the weekend but not sure yet if that will be Saturday or Sunday, so it is the latter then assembly might have to wait for a further week or so.

• RMweb Gold

Well I collected an approximately 4ft long by 1ft wide parcel from that very nice Tim Horn http://www.timhorn.co.uk/ at Scaleforum today. We also discussed the ability of him to produce a matching / mating cantilever board set at the right height to match my existing cassettes for the left hand end so will be emailing him the depth information and ordering this week.

I hope to open the parcle tomorrow and might even be able to apply some glue to some of the mating parts, so watch this space.

• RMweb Gold

Last weekend I took the opportunity to visit the excellent Scaleforum exhibition and collect from Tim Horn the kit of laser cut parts for the 4ft x 1ft main baseboard for this project. Tim classifies this design as a ‘Scenic/Photo plank board’ which includes the rear and side backscenes boards and top fascia.

post-243-0-66617400-1474961706_thumb.jpg

This is the first time that I have used Tim’s laser cut board components and all I can say is ‘wow’ and that I totally recommend them.Tim can supply his baseboards with either with MDF or birch ply tops, the later being my chosen option. The quality and fit of each of the components is excellent and results in a very simple assembly using only wood glue, a small number of screws and a few clamps. Including allowing time for glue to cure between stages assembly was completed without rushing in a few hours last Sunday.

post-243-0-25977600-1474961707_thumb.jpg

It certainly makes things easier for someone like me whom carpentry is not really my thing. The result is a totally square, robust, lightweight, professional looking baseboard assembly, that now awaits a coat of white primer, including the underneath, to seal it all around,  followed by a matt black top coat coat to the front, side and rear fascias. Tim also includes a single piece 3mm ply fascia to go on to the front to cover all the tab joints, giving a totally smooth final finish, which I have yet to affix.

​More information and a couple more pictures can be found on my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2016/09/27/the-baseboard-for-canute-road-quay-takes-shape/

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham

Looking good I am looking for a excuse to build yet another layout using a Tim Horn baseboard.

What are the internal length and depth of the one you have purchased.

Terry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham

Looking good I am looking for a excuse to build yet another layout using a Tim Horn baseboard.

What are the internal length and depth of the one you have purchased.

Terry

Hi Terry

The external dimensions are exactly 4ft x 1ft deep with the internal dimensions being 12mm less to account for the 6mm birch ply sides.

This size is of his 'scenic / photo plank module' is not listed on his website yet as they are listed as being either L/H or R/H 2ft x 1ft modules but I asked Tim if he could produce a single 4ft version which he duly and kindly did.