Graham_Muz

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend I took the opportunity to visit the excellent Scaleforum exhibition and collect from Tim Horn the kit of laser cut parts for the 4ft x 1ft main baseboard for this project. Tim classifies this design as a ‘Scenic/Photo plank board’ which includes the rear and side backscenes boards and top fascia.

attachicon.gifBaseboard_1.jpg

This is the first time that I have used Tim’s laser cut board components and all I can say is ‘wow’ and that I totally recommend them.Tim can supply his baseboards with either with MDF or birch ply tops, the later being my chosen option. The quality and fit of each of the components is excellent and results in a very simple assembly using only wood glue, a small number of screws and a few clamps. Including allowing time for glue to cure between stages assembly was completed without rushing in a few hours last Sunday.

attachicon.gifBaseboard_3.jpg

It certainly makes things easier for someone like me whom carpentry is not really my thing. The result is a totally square, robust, lightweight, professional looking baseboard assembly, that now awaits a coat of white primer, including the underneath, to seal it all around,  followed by a matt black top coat coat to the front, side and rear fascias. Tim also includes a single piece 3mm ply fascia to go on to the front to cover all the tab joints, giving a totally smooth final finish, which I have yet to affix.

​More information and a couple more pictures can be found on my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2016/09/27/the-baseboard-for-canute-road-quay-takes-shape/

I've used a couple of Tim's boards joined together and they save so much work. They build up beautifully. No connection, just a very satisfied customer. I live quite close to Tim so I had the luxury of a tour round the workshop when I picked the boards up.

• Like 1

Hi Ian

By choosing Canute Road I am invisaging an older much smaller less developed Quay location slightly north of the main docks on the River Itchen rather than River Test somewhere around where the Ocean Village development is now.

The enables the justification of the USA tanks as a turn from the main docks.  

Have you looked at the real wharves up the Itchen? E.g. the Chapel Wharf tramway ran up to the late 70s or early 80s, IIRC. There are some pictures in Southampton Quayside Steam.

• RMweb Gold

Hi each

Thanks for the interest and positive comments so far.

The baseboard is now primed inside and out ad underneath in white but I am out of the country for a weeek or so so the external top coat of now decided upon matt black for the sides, back and facia will be applied when I return and track work laying will then commence, further pictures will then follow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A further update on progress.

The external fascias have now been painted matt black, the trackwork is laid and glued in place, cobolt point motors fitted, initial underside wiring (but not yet to the control panel) and LED lighting installed in the pelmet.

I have also fitted the quay side walling that sits along the very front of the scene.

The next steps will be the construction of the remaining buildings: In addition to the low relief Scalescene bonded warehouses, I have opted for using Skytrex http://skytrexmodelrailways.com/ resin components and the two warehouses / loading docks located at the front using laser cut components from LCut Creative http://lcut.co.uk/

post-243-0-09370500-1477830324_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-17429800-1477830325_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-57281500-1477830326_thumb.jpg

I am just awaiting a small 1ft module for the left hand end from Tim Horn http://www.timhorn.co.uk/baseboards/ that is being made to suit the height of my cassette system (borrowed from Fisherton Sarum) which will also house the small control panel in the front face. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

It is now looking likely, possibly bags and cats springs to mind, that the first public appearance of Canute Road Quay will be our very RMweb SWAG members day in Taunton on Sunday April 30th http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110759-swag-members-day-2017-some-thoughts-and-questions/  the words out, better, get finger my also now become relevant...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have updated my blog this morning here https://grahammuz.com/2016/11/06/quay-points-an-update-re-canute-road-quay-and-or-improving-peco-turnouts/ with some progress as shown above in post #31 but also some information about improving the look of and wiring Peco electrofrog turnouts, especially the short radius 'Y' turnouts as they do not have the wire links underneath and so can cause confusion to some, as the Peco supplied diagrams therefore do not match.

post-243-0-49370000-1478429162_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-77831100-1478429264_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-19158300-1478429301.jpg

Since the pictures above I have laid the check rails in the areas where the track will be inset and also today's task is to fix in place the Dingham electromagnet uncouplers, more of which anon.

So check out my blog for more images and information here https://grahammuz.com/2016/11/06/quay-points-an-update-re-canute-road-quay-and-or-improving-peco-turnouts/

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I know space is at a premium, but do wonder if a little additional character might be acquired by having a tiny low-relief pub, much frequented by the busy quay workers, of course. Perhaps it might be called "The Gulls"?

Hi Ian

That's a really nice idea and I think I might have a little space to the right hand side of the bonded warehouses between them and where the inset track road heads into the back scene. I will have a look at what I can come up with.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Further to Ian's suggestion of adding a pub and the fact that this is a smashing idea I have added a couple more suitable Bachmann Scenecraft low releif buildings next to the bonded warehouse; one being the 'Waterloo Taven' and another being what was originally a garage, but I have removed the petrol pump and branding but haven't touched up the paint work up yet. A small alleyway is between these buildings behind the gate.

I have also removed the platform from the bonded warehouses to lower them in height and also due to the fact that I am locating then facing on to a roadway rather railway line.

post-243-0-35663800-1480861025_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-09200100-1480861027_thumb.jpg

I have also made a start on the inset track with check rails glued into place and infill with cork starting to be laid. other than the middle of the track itself a second layer of cork is still to be laid to raise the height to rail level and then be painted concrete.

The other main building are starting to take shape in the form of a quayside office building and a further warehouse (still needing its platform to be made) these are the excellent products from Lcut Creative.

post-243-0-52838900-1480861028_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-84949800-1480861029_thumb.jpg

In this last view for now, the small engine building can be seen to be taking shape from a Skytrex resign kit.

post-243-0-96602300-1480861030_thumb.jpg

Further ground cover will be added once the top layer of the inset track has been finished using modelling clay to represent earth mud and ash type ballast.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments so far.

A little more progress has been made on the warehouse with the loading platform and steps added, although pleae note nothing is glued into position yet (and neither are the first floor halves of the warehouse that are currently just resting on the ground floor, awaiting internal floors and partitions to be added first.

post-243-0-81779500-1480882605_thumb.jpg

One the top layer of cork has been added to form the concrete area around the inset track the sleep ends will be totally covered.

• Like 9

Further to Ian's suggestion of adding a pub and the fact that this is a smashing idea I have added a couple more suitable Bachmann Scenecraft low releif buildings next to the bonded warehouse; one being the 'Waterloo Taven' and another being what was originally a garage, but I have removed the petrol pump and branding but haven't touched up the paint work up yet. A small alleyway is between these buildings behind the gate.

I have also removed the platform from the bonded warehouses to lower them in height and also due to the fact that I am locating then facing on to a roadway rather railway line.

attachicon.gif041216_1.jpg

attachicon.gif041216_2.jpg

I have also made a start on the inset track with check rails glued into place and infill with cork starting to be laid. other than the middle of the track itself a second layer of cork is still to be laid to raise the height to rail level and then be painted concrete.

The other main building are starting to take shape in the form of a quayside office building and a further warehouse (still needing its platform to be made) these are the excellent products from Lcut Creative.

attachicon.gif041216_3.jpg

attachicon.gif041216_4.jpg

In this last view for now, the small engine building can be seen to be taking shape from a Skytrex resign kit.

attachicon.gif041216_5.jpg

Further ground cover will be added once the top layer of the inset track has been finished using modelling clay to represent earth mud and ash type ballast.

If this is set in Southampton - and the name suggests it is - then that pub really needs to be a Brickwoods pub - or possibly Strongs of Romsey.

• Like 1

Hi Terry

The external dimensions are exactly 4ft x 1ft deep with the internal dimensions being 12mm less to account for the 6mm birch ply sides.

This size is of his 'scenic / photo plank module' is not listed on his website yet as they are listed as being either L/H or R/H 2ft x 1ft modules but I asked Tim if he could produce a single 4ft version which he duly and kindly did.

Tim made me a 4ft x 15 inch external dimensions scenic / phot plank board in Birch ply which I collected off him at Scaleforum.

Gordon A

Gordon A

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tim made me a 4ft x 15 inch external dimensions scenic / phot plank board in Birch ply which I collected off him at Scaleforum.

Gordon A

Gordon A

Tim is excellent to deal with, I hope Graham won't mind me sharing the photo below. 

post-7376-0-09469800-1480888550_thumb.jpg

This is a set of Tim's L/M/R 3ft by 1ft boards, in 6mm ply, making the foundations for my ex LSWR Cornish project. 

For anyone with either limited time, or wood working facilities, these kits are excellent. I thoroughly recommend them. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update,  The top layer of cork for the inset track areas has now been cut and glued down. It still requires a little trimming in places once the glue has fully cured.

post-243-0-58240900-1481458148_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-65718300-1481458149_thumb.jpg

Next step will be the rest of the ground cover where I shall be using modelling clay to represent a dirt / ash based ballasted track in the non inset areas.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Will you be transporting the sections in their normal orientation, or do they have to lie flat ?

I ask because I'm considering a similar baseboard/backscene configuration and need to consider the vertical height in the boot ( estate car).