Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Graham,

What is your opinion of the concrete? Always interested of what modellers think of their own work.

Well of course I think it looks fantastic....

...seriously though, I used the Green Scene textured paint which if anything for concrete might be a little too textured on first application, but I found with a little rubbing with a finger once dry you can smooth it a little. I am happy with the colour once the paint dried and I weathered it slightly, if anything it looks better in the flesh than in the photographs. I think is better for use as it is as I have done here for concrete roadway / paths than it would be concrete buildings which is likely to use a different aggregate, but I still think it would make a good initial base coat. 

The throw the question back at you, I would be interested in what you think.. as constructive thoughts / comments are always welcome

Hi Muz,

Looking very nice, I do like the concrete, I look forward to having a play (can I sneek a proper Sentinal on? :) :P )

One thing to mention, Dad and I have found that coupling droppers have a tendency to stick into inset track when operated (particularly if the inset is soft like cork), unless they have a little bit off the deck!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon

Thanks for the kind comment. I am sure the odd visitor to the Quay will be allowed and no doubt inevitable...

I know what you mean about the doppers, I have both trimmed the very bottom off the dropper and put a slight curve in the soft iron wire tail on the dropper for the electromagnet uncouplers to avoid them snagging.

• RMweb Gold

How accurate do you need to be with positioning the wagons ? Do you find different wagons have different 'positions' for the optimum location ? (Such as on one wagon the axle box is over the marker, but on another the axle box has to be past the marker).

• RMweb Gold

How accurate do you need to be with positioning the wagons ? Do you find different wagons have different 'positions' for the optimum location ? (Such as on one wagon the axle box is over the marker, but on another the axle box has to be past the marker).

I tend to align the marker (which in some cases are quite discrete such as a slightly different shade of grass tuft) with the buffers as that is more consistent with where the  dropper is rather than the axle boxes as the position between the couplings and the axles boxes varies depending on the vehicle, as I am also using PMVs and even a Bogie B van (the loops and headshunts were designed with this being the largest single vehicle in mind).

Also in practice I tend to press the push button for the magnet as I push the wagon to be uncoupled over the magnet position so you can see the coupling lift and then stop the loco, before revering back to uncouple.

I hope that makes sense.

......The throw the question back at you, I would be interested in what you think.. as constructive thoughts / comments are always welcome

aaaggghhhhh, being asked for constructive critism.. I wondered if it needed to be slightly flatter. Thinking about how it would have been laid, simple shuttering and tamped down using a long timber between the shuttering. That method sometimes leaves the slight rippling. I have also seen the top lightly brushed with a bass broom to give a slight grip and the edge next to the shuttering smoothed off.

Not saying I could do better....

I do like the general effect and as you say it looks better in the flesh.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ernie

Thanks for the feedback it is most welcome and I agree the note about how it might have been laid. I also agree that it anything being slightly flatter would be better and the pictures certainly make it look more rippled than it is in the flesh as i think that is an effect of the colouring / lighting more than texture alone. I think in model form if I left it totally flat it would look too flat to the eye (a bit like colour scaling). As with all things it's a bit of a compromise in model form.

I hope that one day you get the chance to see it in the flesh and see what you think.

• RMweb Gold

And as I mention lighting above, I have today posted a piece on my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2017/04/10/layout-lighting-is-quay-white-is-white-right/ about how I have lit Canute Road Quay along with different forms of layout lighting and also colour temperature.

• Like 1

And as I mention lighting above, I have today posted a piece on my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2017/04/10/layout-lighting-is-quay-white-is-white-right/ about how I have lit Canute Road Quay along with different forms of layout lighting and also colour temperature.

Graham.

I saw your blog piece on lighting earlier.

It explained lighting very well & will be of help to many I'm sure.

The diagram on the colour temperature scale from mediacollege.com was very informative  :good_mini:

Tony.

• RMweb Gold

A few more pics of a little more progress to whet the appetite before Canute Road Quay makes its public debut at the RMweb SWAG Taunton members day in a couple of weeks. More details here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120694-swag-2017-lineup-details-catering-all-you-need-to-know

post-243-0-10233300-1492201914_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-62982000-1492201915_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-04847200-1492201917_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-89284100-1492201918_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-11307200-1492201920_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Glad I stumbled on this. Being a local, I knew where this would be located as soon as I saw "Canute Road" in the title. The Waterloo Tavern is a nice homage to the Waterloo Arms :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A last quick update before Canute Road Quay makes its public debut at the RMweb SWAG Taunton members day in a couple of weeks. More details here http://www.rmweb.co....ou-need-to-know

I have now added the start of the gantry crane / hoist to the main front warehouse building up to the upper floor doors. A further update and a couple more images can be found on my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2017/04/24/making-quay-progress-canute-road-quay-nears-completion-if-such-ever-happens/

post-243-0-94752200-1493036327_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-27723300-1493036329_thumb.jpg

I hope as many members as possible can get along to the SWAG members day on Sunday, see it in the flesh so to speak and have a play...

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Canute Road Quay is now loaded in the car (somewhat easier than loading Fisherton Sarum!) before it makes its public debut at the RMweb SWAG Taunton members day tomorrow. More details here http://www.rmweb.co....ow-need-to-know

Hope to see some of you there.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought it was about time I updated this thread follwoing the appearance of Canute Road Quay at the Taunton SWAG members day.  The day I feel proved to be a success from my perspective with Canute Road Quay operating as intended (I am as ‘happy as Larry’ shunting wagons around) during the day and the layout  being  well received with plenty of positive comments from those that stopped by for a look.
From a transportation and setting up perspective, being of course much smaller, it is much quicker and easier all round than taking Fisherton Sarum to shows. I also thank St.Simon of this parish for helping me play trains during the day.

​The picture below kindly taken by and copied here with kind permission of Ava Hay shows Canute Road Quay set up at Taunton

post-243-0-50746400-1495181353_thumb.jpg

I certainly believe that when exhibiting layouts at shows,  presentation, just as with lighting that I discussed here,  is just as important and should be carefully considered.  Canute Road Quay’s overall presentaion is aided by the design of the Tim Horn baseframes with the proscenium arch giving a letter box style view. The whole board is supported on folding adjustable trestles which does allow a range of viewing heights to be chosen, although I will generally opt for the higher viewing position. As the trestles are wider than the 12″ of Canute Road Quay I have also cut a length of plywood to act as a shelf at the rear of the baseframe for the all important cup of tea and also spare stock etc.
Around the bottom edge of the baseframe I have glued a Velcro Strip to attach one of the curtains that I use on Fisherton Sarum to hide the trestles etc.   To match the curtains the outside faces of the baseframes have been roller painted matt black with Vinyl cut white lettering in Gills Sans, from vinylletteringonline for the Canute Road Quay name across the top of the proscenium arch.

Off the back of its Taunton appearance Canute Road Quay has been invited to attend the excellent Exeter MRS exhibition at the The Matford Centre, Matford Park Road, Marsh Barton, Exeter, Devon EX2 8FD over the weekend of the 1st and 2nd July.

I have also updated by blog at www.grahammuz.com with some additional thoughts, information and pictures which can be read here.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

post-243-0-11307200-1492201920_thumb.jpg

Hi Graham,

I know its set in Southampton, but Canute Road Quay reminds me very much of the old Tewksbury Quay branch.  

In particular the photo of the loco shed is very similar to the first view here:  https://sites.google.com/site/gloucestershirerailwaymemories/home/final-years-of-the-loco-sub-sheds-at-cheltenham-malvern-road-and-tewkesbury

Lots about it on the web, a Google Image search for "Tewksbury Quay Railway" brings up some very evocative photos, just made for modelling.

All the best,

Dave.

PS  A model was planned here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/399/entry-1977-prototype-photos/

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave

Very interesting links and images, at least my mind was somewhere near the right track... even if they are from another railway co...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing this at the Exeter show.

Thanks I am looking forward to attending, along with St Simon of this parish. Please make yourself known when you drop by. 

• RMweb Gold

A great weekend was had with Canute Road Quay at the EXE MRS show in Exeter last weekend, thanks to all whom came alone and said hello. Also Thanks to St Simon of this Parish for his company and asistance operating during the weekend. 

post-243-0-31309100-1499069540_thumb.jpg

We even had a guest operator as Dave (DLT) gets to grip with 4mm scale shunting...

post-243-0-61650900-1499069587_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Maybe you'll let a dyed in the wool GWR modeller have a go sometime. :jester:

Of course Rob you are more than welcome!

Most towns and cities in the UK don't even have one good exhibition hall. Why does Exeter have two?

Firstly, I don't know how many suitable venues Exeter has; secondly, I just exhibited Canute Road Quay where the exhibition was held and lastly not sure what the question about venues in Exeter has to with this layout thread

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Post the Exeter show I have got round to updating the Canute Road Quay area of my blog, this is an extract and some additional information and images can be found here https://grahammuz.com/2017/08/14/canute-road-quay-an-update-post-the-exeter-show-and-news-of-a-pending-magazine-photoshoot/

There are a few things still to complete on Canute Road Quay such as: adding proper interiors and lighting for the front two main buildings (which are not yet permanently fixed down so I can complete this activity), actually wiring up the street lamps so they work, finishing the gantry crane with its hook and pulley and some more weathering of the buildings especially on the roof lines as a result of the number of seagulls present!

Also since the exhibition I have taken the opportunity to take a few more snaps of Canute Road Quay, during a couple of running (play), which is one of the advantages of being a small layout that I am able have set up all the time at home.  Some of these quick snaps can be seen accompanying this post.

post-243-0-54327400-1502702039_thumb.jpg
My kit built ex LSWR Adams B4 0-4-0T shunts at the Quay.

post-243-0-69772800-1502702067_thumb.jpg
The Adams B4 0-4-0T is still in use and not yet ousted by the USA 0-6-0Ts soon to rule the Quay.

post-243-0-89509100-1502702151_thumb.jpg

Two USA 0-6-0 tanks (No’s 64 and 72) meet in front of the Waterloo Arms public house and road crossing.

In my Lighting is Quay post I discussed the use of the LED strip lightning that I have deployed on Canute Road Quay although at home and for most of the time at the Exe MRS show the lighting was extremely effective there was at certain times of the day a shadow cast on the backscene of the front pelmet due to sunlight shining in through venues high level windows (I do not think it was really noticed by visitors to the show but I found it a little annoying at times from an overall presentation perspective). I have therefore fitted a second LED strip without any opaque strip of plastic in front to enable either of both LED strips to be switched on to give three different lighting levels to counter an effects of a venues ambient lighting.

​More information at https://grahammuz.com/2017/08/14/canute-road-quay-an-update-post-the-exeter-show-and-news-of-a-pending-magazine-photoshoot/ 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few 'foreign' visitors have recently been seen at Canute Road Road Quay, in the shape of firstly: the lovely Hornby Huntley and Palmers Peckett (which I know has appeared on here before but I lile it) and secondly, even rarer for me, and those that know me, is the 'nice' little 1361 saddle tank thing from the other railway, from an initial air freighted batch from The Kernow Model Rail Centre the main production delivery batch will be on the high seas for those that have ordered them. 

post-243-0-93344100-1506080284_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-96434600-1506080249_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-81209600-1506080265_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

If the GWR-backed DN&SR had been completed to its intended Southampton terminus in the late 1880s, it would probably have sought access to the Itchen Quays to the north of the LSWR's docks, either by establishing its own wharf or by arranging access through an existing wharfage company acting as GWR agents. This would have given the GWR the use of dockside facilities while they developed the proposed docks in the West Quay area. Access to the Itchen would have had to be by a line built to the Royal Pier and running powers over the LSWR tracks along Town Quay and Canute Road, leading to a new GWR line towards the Itchen Quays. So a GWR dock shunter could have worked to Canute Road Quay.

• Like 3