Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

That certainly sounds more plausable than an excuse for the H&P Peckett to visit the Quay, I must admit I purchased both shunters for their 'cute' factor despite the funny green livery of one of them... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Taking the thought further and a bit OT, what would the modern geography of Southampton be like?  Instead of the Western Docks as we know it there would probably have been two separate dredged and reclaimed dock complexes, one west of the Old Town adjacent to the GWR station, and one further west accessed from the SR at Millbrook. Even if the SR and GWR could have built a joint complex it would have started as suggested. Nationalisation would bring it all under one ownership as British Transport Docks.

Meanwhile and back on topic, I was thinking about a possible location for Canute Road Quay as the site that actually became Corporation Wharf in the 1890s but was previously partly timber ponds and a small shipyard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Taking the thought further and a bit OT, what would the modern geography of Southampton be like?  Instead of the Western Docks as we know it there would probably have been two separate dredged and reclaimed dock complexes, one west of the Old Town adjacent to the GWR station, and one further west accessed from the SR at Millbrook. Even if the SR and GWR could have built a joint complex it would have started as suggested. Nationalisation would bring it all under one ownership as British Transport Docks.

Meanwhile and back on topic, I was thinking about a possible location for Canute Road Quay as the site that actually became Corporation Wharf in the 1890s but was previously partly timber ponds and a small shipyard.

On a point of pedantry nationalisation would in fact have brought it all under Southern Region control initially then transfer at whatever date to BTC ownership (if that actually happened?).  The British Transport Docks Board didn't appear until abolition of the BTC in 1962.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Canute Road Quay was in the viewfinder of the very talented Chris Nevard today for an article in Model Rail due to appear before the end of the year, they were first choice for an article as it was their USA tanks that formed the reason / inspiration for the layout in the first place. 

post-243-0-26420500-1506704644_thumb.jpg

I have seen a couple of the first snaps to have been processed and all I can say is wow so I look forward to seeing the others and the article in print soon. 

I will now also be exhibiting Canute Road Quay at The Model Railway Club's open day at Keen House London on Sunday 10th December, which as I have never been to Keen House should be a good day.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little visitor arrived on Canute Road Quay https://grahammuz.com/category/canute-road-quay/ this morning in the shape of the Model Rail MR-015 Sentinel number 47182 in early British Railways Livery, not quite sure how she got this far south tho...

post-243-0-18794800-1510313327_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-94179400-1510313346_thumb.jpg

Look out for the December issue of Model Rail Magazine due out on 16th November for an article and to see the results of Chris's excellent results from his photoshoot a few weeks back 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Following a very pleasant afternoon , as mentioned above, spent with Chris Nevard back in September, the results of his efforts an article on my little shunting layout Canute Road Quay can be seen and read about in the December edition of Model Rail Magazine, issue 242, published today (although subscribers should have received their copy earlier this week).

post-243-0-20717100-1510821312.jpg

As the inspiration for the layout was mainly due to the release of the  Model Rail commissioned USA tanks, for which I provided their team with a small amount of assistance, it was therefore only right that first published article about the layout was in Model Rail Magazine. As a slight departure from other model railway publications the article is in fact written by the Model Rail their in-house staff writer, following a telephone interview rather than the layout builders own words.I did however provide some written text before the interview to ensure that much of the content that I wanted to be included got suitably covered.

post-243-0-18695300-1510821378_thumb.jpg

Although a small  layout (only 4ft x 1ft) Chris as ever has managed to find and capture a few new angles with his cameras and many of the little cameos I have included on the layout were duly snapped. I hope that you can get hold of a copy and enjoy the read and Chris’s excellent photographs.

this is an  extract of my main blog at www.grahammuz.com and additional information and images can be read here https://grahammuz.com/2017/11/16/canute-road-quay-features-in-model-rail-magazine-issue-242-december-2017-published-today/

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on the article Graham; the pictures are excellent, however, I find the MR house style irritating - especially the "3 things we like", "what makes this layout great" & "Things you may have missed"; I have recently cancelled my MR subs!

None of my prejudice takes away from what you have achieved - the level of detailing is excellent and I look forward to seeing the layout at an exhibition soon.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Canute Road Quay will be making an appearance at The Model Railway Club’s open day / mini exhibition next Sunday 10th December at their London Keen House club rooms.

The Model Railway Club’s own Layouts: Copenhagen Fields (2mm FS), Empire Mills (EM), Lacey Dale (N) and Putnam Yard (HO) will be operating.  In addition to Canute Road Quay a couple more visiting layouts will be in attendance namely: Rixworth Green (P4) – 1920s Southern and Elkington-on-Sea Tramways – inpsired by the 1950s British seaside. 

​More information can be found on my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2017/12/03/canute-road-quay-to-appear-at-the-model-railway-clubs-open-day-mini-exhibition-this-sunday-10th-december/

post-243-0-61493700-1512300446_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The cold weather has hit the south as the crew on ex LSWR B4 Number 100 try to keep warm shunting on the quay as the snow starts to get hold...

post-243-0-23846500-1514548962_thumb.jpg

Happy new year to all.

Canute Road Quay will be making a few warmer appearances in 2018 namely:

26th /27th May 2018 – Railex, Princes Risborough and District MRC, Stoke Mandeville Stadium, Stadium Approach, Aylesbury, Bucks, HP21 9PP

7th July 2018 – Beaconsfield MRC, The Beaconsfield School, Wattleton Road, Beaconsfield, HP9 1SL

3rd November 2018 - Wycrail 18, High Wycombe and District MRS, Cressex Community School, Cressex Road, High Wycombe, HP12 4UD

As always further information can be found on my blog at www.grahammuz.com

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few recent visitors to Canute Road Quay in the shape of a couple of Hornby new releases namely Sentinel 'Graham' from the Oxfordshire Ironstone Co.  (I think Hornby released this one on purpose being firstly my name and also not too far from where I live) and also the SR liveried H Class tank No.1324 which as far as I am aware carried this livery right thought until nationalisation when she received BR lined black, so never SR black with Sunshine lettering.

post-243-0-31098000-1521281160_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-89953400-1521281168_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-85891400-1521281202_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-89455800-1521281215_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Canute Road Quay is by its nature a pretty simple layout and therefore operation is kept reasonably simple, although being DC control not DCC control there still seems a reasonable number of wires involved!

I have allowed for four track sections being the left hand headhunt and run around loop, the right hand head shunt, the front quayside headshunt and finally an isolating section  within the engine shed road to allow for more than one engine to parked in the shed / coal stage area. These simple four section allows for flexible control especially when I want to have more than one locomotive on the layout at anyone time.

post-243-0-62242300-1521284493.jpg

I am only using one controller for the layout and am using the trusty Gaugemaster W series hand held controllers (that like my transformer box I swap between Canute Road Quay and Fisherton Sarum).  I have therefore used a common DIN plug and socket wiring arrangement between the two layouts. Some time ago Gaugemaster changed their housing for the their W series hand held controllers to a smaller overall but deeper housing and to be honest I prefer their original style and therefore have obtained a number of the original housing style controllers. The other advantage of using Gaugemaster controllers is their excellent mo quibble lifetime warranty and repair service, which although I have only called upon once proved to be excellent and quick (I will state the usual disclaimer that I have no connection to Gaugemasterother than being a happy customer).

I have also been using on Canute Road Quay their WS version of the hand hand controller that has a braking and acceleration simulator built in via a small thumb operated wheel on the side which allows for nice realistic slow speed acceleration and stopping.

post-243-0-34568600-1521284517_thumb.jpeg

The WS controller, Din plug and socket The short piece of track is temporary and alolows for use of a track cleaning brush it is powered by sprung wire contacts making contact with to inset brass screws that are fed directly from the controller. This allows loco cleaning off scene and can be easily removed from the fiddle yard to allow for movement of the cassettes. The on the control panel the switches are coloured as follows:
Red – Track sections,
Blue - Points,

Black – unclouplers

Yellow – lights

​This is an  extract of my blog at www.grahammuz.com

The full post and additional information can be read here.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Canute Road Quay appears to have been relocated further South East with the arrival of a couple of the lovely Hattons ex SECR Wainwright P Class tanks. 1558 will require weathering will be repainted into one of the liveries not being produced namely 31555 in plain black and British Railways lettering in SR style Sunshine lettering. A third No. 754 in SECR grey, one of the first two with higher cabs,  will be repainted in Black with Sunshine lettering as her post war identity of 1557.
post-243-0-90698000-1522405542_thumb.jpeg
post-243-0-30157800-1522405556_thumb.jpeg
post-243-0-50618600-1522405568_thumb.jpeg
post-243-0-82874400-1522405581_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dug out a few of my earlier era wagons this morning to go with the Hattons P Class (before they get repainted) for a quick backdating few pictures with the iPhone, first up late SECR days...

post-243-0-32681200-1523098216_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-34173300-1523098388_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-20903300-1523098226_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-45460300-1523098250_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-42069000-1523098263_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Canute Road Quay plays host to a trio of locos from around the SR just off the workbench with decals added today prior to weathering: ex LBSC D1 0-4-2t, ex SECR S 0-6-0t (the unique saddle tank built from C Class tender loco parts) and ex LSWR Urie S15 4-6-0 (one of the original batch with stepped running plate)

post-243-0-65702900-1523113215_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-52504500-1523113237_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-47728100-1523113252_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I’d like to do a modern quay scene, but I bet it won’t be half as good !

A modern quay can't be half as good because it won't have black/ sunshine southern locos.

If a finer colour scheme was carried by a British loco I'm yet to see it. (Maybe GER blue...).

I really like the layout, too :)

• RMweb Gold

Super layout , not sure why I didn’t notice it before !

I’d like to do a modern quay scene, but I bet it won’t be half as good !

A modern quay can't be half as good because it won't have black/ sunshine southern locos.

If a finer colour scheme was carried by a British loco I'm yet to see it. (Maybe GER blue...).

I really like the layout, too :)

Thanks for the kind comments.  

Canute Road Quay will be making an appearance next month at The Railex show http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125099-railex-2018-26-27-may/ which I am very much looking forward to.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Another visitor that looks at home on the Quay is this Hattons 14” Andrew Barclay which will be stripped of the WTT branding and given a more Southampton ish related identity and weathered to give a bit of variety on the layout.

post-243-0-29501200-1524083966_thumb.jpeg

post-243-0-85779300-1524083978_thumb.jpeg

post-243-0-95329600-1524083992_thumb.jpeg

post-243-0-41333300-1524084010_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9