Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Sounds that can't be made... or can they.. adding ambient sounds to Canute Road Quay

For Canute Road Quay I wanted to provide an overall immersive experience for the viewer at an exhibition by provide a mix of sounds to include not just steam locomotive sounds but those of the rolling stock and other typical background sounds that you would hear at a working quayside. I also wanted it to be reasonable subtle.

Therefore having spent some time looking around for suitable sound clips to make my own file came across a friendly and efficient small supplier called BigTrainSound.co.uk  The guys here can supply a number of off the shelf sound files ranging from platform announcements to urban sounds from different eras and weather conditions including thunderstorms. Another service they provide is to produce bespoke soundscapes of either 30 or 50 minute duration tailored to meet a clients needs.
Paul at BigTrainSound.co.uk quickly gained an understanding of my requirements from looking at pictures of Canute Road Quay and from own suggested required sounds. Within a couple of days I had a schedule of proposed sounds and timings for approval followed by a provisional sound file. By the end of the week I had the agreed completed 50 minute soundscape file, very efficient service!
The ambient soundscape file is built upon a base layer of breezes and lapping water sounds then with multiple other sounds layered over it at different times including the following: Herring Gulls, steam locomotives shunting at various times (actual sounds recorded of shunting at Bristol and Goole docks), wagon wheel squeals, ships hooters, distant fog horn, truck arriving and departing, conversations, unloading wagons, dogs barking etc.

Last month saw the first exhibition with the sounds being played via a Bluetooth speaker simply clamped underneath the layout. I was certainly very pleased with the overall effect and even though the locomotive / shunting sounds are not synced with the actual movements during operation, it became a bit of a fun challenge to try and get the movements to coincide, which we managed quite often so much so viewers often commented that they thought the locos were DCC Sound fitted!

The video clip above give a brief idea of some of the sounds. I can totally recommended the great service by Paul and his team at BigTrainSound.co.uk  as a very satisfied client.

This post an extract from my blog at https://grahammuz.com/2019/02/17/sounds-that-cant-be-made-or-they-can-on-canute-road-quay-and-risex-23-02-19/ click the link for the full information and additional video clip.

If you want to see Canute Road Quay and experience the ambient sound effect, Canute Road Quay is making an appearance this coming Saturday 23rd February at the excellent little RisEx exhibition organised by the Princes Risborough and District Model Railway Club. The show is being held at the ,Community Centre, Wades Park, Stratton Road, Princes Risborough, Bucks, HP27 9AX and is is open between 10.00 and 17.00

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Nicely done.

Nothing to do with Canute Road Quay, but what I'd like to see is a system that can handle multiple speakers over multiple tracks of sounds that can do suitable mixing live. So a bird sound could move across the environment as if it was flying from place to place. The same could be true of other sounds.

Interesting a out sound stuff. Trying to work out a many channel system for ambient sounds as background noise with event driven sounds for foreground (complex to explain) but if a train whistles during silence it will sound loud. But if during background noise it sounds quiter (we notice volume change slot.. from our primitive hunter gather days).. dose this make sence :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2019 at 17:26, Graham_Muz said:

I’m delighted to say that Canute Road Quay features in the April issue of Hornby Magazine published today. More details here https://grahammuz.com/2019/03/07/canute-road-quay-features-in-Hornby-magazine-issue-142-april-2019-published-today/

Congratulations on the feature, Graham; an enjoyable read accompanied with some great photos.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments above. Canute Road Quay’s next exhibition appearance is this Saturday 16th March (also my Dad’s Birthday, so happy Birthday Dad!) at the AbRail show organised by the Abingdon and District Model Railway Club at the Abingdon and Witney College, Abingdon Campus, OX14 1GG between 10am and 5pm.

http://admrc.org.uk/exhibitions/abingdon-exhibition-2019

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Surprised and very flattered to get a namecheck! Thanks Graham!

Well it was a cracking suggestion, it fits the scene perfectly so much appreciated and demonstrates the benefit of sharing ideas on this forum. You are forever the honourable landlord of the Waterloo Tavern. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Further to my post above i have finished the weathering of the J70 and posted on my blog the first of a few planned Making Quay Changes posts with the Canute Road Quay being transported to either a different location or era or both.  In this case we have stayed in my usual era but moved Eastwards, to perhaps the docks of Ipswich or Yarmouth  

quay_changes_J70_5.jpg.f2cc0c2bdaced450f91ba20612509e21.jpg

quay_changes_J70_13.jpg.6ca56e6598fa616971a90cad3a659a1b.jpg

The full post with other information and images can be read here https://grahammuz.com/2019/05/15/making-quay-changes-1-moving-eastwards/

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The August issue No. 146 of Hornby Magazine is out today and includes my step by guide on how to simply create inset track as used on www.canuteroadquay.com 

AF294A70-7F23-4A7C-BAA2-2642C58BF9EE.jpeg.34e57fda271cd5140ed8f580fd761a1a.jpeg

57ABC712-979E-47EC-A3E0-C12D724B9882.jpeg.fe01da7afad69883f28e6e547d49da46.jpeg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A meeting of some of the latest Hornby locos (albeit slightly modified), looking at home on Canute Road Quay. 

B7BBA181-94A8-44CC-B849-381479286012.jpeg.8d12e1ba29824d3be0a50207dfa8de61.jpeg

C12110F6-75F2-4E69-B2B9-2EF785358792.jpeg.5be67f537b5ab2ec85af69c14181399d.jpeg

37CC730B-FD6B-4F1C-8873-64A821D5DE83.jpeg.3790088d66db9eb371c5be3b6f33a0a5.jpeg

D1194FE0-2C35-4888-AE81-D178213BBB86.jpeg.015e6e378abd74992c6dd73d9e665df0.jpeg

The next outing for Canute Road Quay is the Hornby Magazine, Great Electric Train Show at the Marshall Arena Milton Keynes in two weeks time on 12/13th October https://greatelectrictrainshow.keypublishing.com/

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Hoping to get to the show and see Canute Road Quay, will the loco's be putting in an appearence?

Steve.

Hi Steve, 

They will certainly be with me, come and say hello, you can have a play and put them to good use. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a brief heads up that Canute Road Quay will be making an appearance at the High Wycombe and District MRS club room open day tomorrow at their new Duke Street premises in the centre of High Wycombe. 

We shall be open between 10.30am and 4pm. Come along to find out more about the Society, our facilities, layouts and the benefits that becoming a member can bring. 

We will have club layouts up and running including our Hinton Parva and a number of members own layouts in attendance in addition to Canute Road Quay.

Check http://www.hwdmrs.org.uk/ for more information or drop me a PM

Light refreshments, much nattering and the playing of trains will be available.

2126871466_DukeStreetmap.JPG.f613813eccebd903654fdbff10f8534a.JPG

• Like 2