Mapping Manchester

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

We don't seem to have a "General" area now. Which means I can't see where this would fit. It's relevant to railway modelling, so not the Wheeltappers:

Mapping Manchester

Anyone visiting Manchester this weekend with an hour to spare may be interested in this, just posted on the OrdnanceMaps email group. For full details follow the link at the bottom (open sat 10-5, sun 12-5):

I thought colleagues might be interested to know of this excellent exhibition. I spent a fascinating morning there this week. Eight large display cases with a huge variety of maps, and a futuristic video as well. Plenty of OS material but many other maps specific to certain purposes down the years: water supply, slum clearance, post-war regeneration plans, the planned but never implemented Picc-Vic tunnel, a statistical map of binge drinking, and much more.

A feast for the map addict. Details below.

Peter, on a grey Manchester morning

Mapping Manchester: Cartographic Stories of the City

Historic Reading Room, John Rylands Library, Deansgate, Manchester

25 June 2009 to 17 January 2010

Maps can tell us many different stories about the places where we live and work. This exhibition shows how mapping is particularly ingrained into urban life; it demonstrates how maps work and how they have evolved over time - reflecting changes in technology, society and economic conditions.

Mapping Manchester explores the growth of the city, road networks and public transport, Manchester as the industrial powerhouse of the nineteenth century, the social geography of housing, changing moralities illustrated by statistical maps, and leisure mapping such as plans of Belle Vue - arguably the world's first theme park.

On display are maps, plans and photographs of Manchester published over the last two hundred and fifty years. These range from the first large-scale survey of the city, published in 1794, to a 2008 statistical map of binge-drinking hotspots.

This celebration of cartography and the city presents a unique opportunity to see highlights from the collections held by the University of Manchester alongside material generously loaned by Chetham's Library and Manchester City Library and Archives.

http://www.library.m...itions/current/

Martin.

I'll move it over to W&S as it's non-railway but accept that it's at the quality end of W&S. It wouldn't have fitted General anyway and would be moved under the old structure. General has been eliminated to stop it becoming a dumping ground for things that do fit better elsewhere.

I'd be interested in seeing the exhibition too and will try to make time when I'm around Manchester at another time.

• RMweb Gold

I'll move it over to W&S as it's non-railway but accept that it's at the quality end of W&S.

Thanks Andy.

I've just noticed there is a "Non-modelling Events" sub-forum which might have been appropriate. Although I can imagine other useful "General" stuff which wouldn't fit there. How about a forum called "Wider World" or some such for what you call "the quality end of W&S"! :)

The &S was a typo. The shunters appear to have been banished from RMweb. :)

Martin.

Archived