Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I found that by inserting a scalpel blade around the cab moulding where it is glued to the body sides and then teasing it very gently that the glue eventually gave way and the unit came out cleanly. The Bachmann crew required amputation above the knees to fit the Dapol moulding but having glued them into position, glued the cab moulding back and refitted the body to chassis and skirts to the body the presence of a crew makes all the difference when the loco is used in service.

Echo the above - had to get the cab moulding out of mine to fix a loose window, and it came free with only mild persuasion. I then had to do it a second time after the same window came loose - doh.

• RMweb Premium

I reckon these are a pretty convincing rendition of the original. Granted none of us has seen one "in the flesh" for many a year and a lot of us never ever have. But I reckon Dave and the Dapol team, plus Chris and the Kernow MRC team in respect of these being the weathered editions, deserve a huge pat on the back.

DSCN6282.jpg

DSCN6279.jpg

Please be kind enough to accept drinks all round, chaps, cheers2.gifcheers2.gifcheers2.gifand I'll settle up when we next meet. Now - when are the 600s due????? hubbahubba.gif

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

I got my Cl22 last week and it's a lovely model...but one of the buffers is broken off. I've been sent a couple of spares with springs, etc, but I have no idea how to fit them!

I can't see what I'm meant to unscrew, unclip or prise loose! Do the buffers themselves come away from the buffer beams? Out with the super glue de-bonder?

Anyone with any idea / suggestions?

Thanks

Luke

• 2 months later...

Shameless thread bump ahoy...!

Finally got round to getting a coat of BR blue onto my lovely little Dapol beastie - thought I'd post a couple of progress shots. Still loads to do as the paintwork is a bit rough around the edges and the silver window surrounds will need touching in, but I've got the (Heljan) reporting numbers fixed in place and the decals on, representing Laira's D6314 much as it was in 1967, helped along by a very handy colour shot of it taken in October of that year in Hugh Dady's book 'Heyday Of The Hydraulics'. The real machine's paintwork was in fairly good nick at the time but it had a nice coating of oil and general muck overall, which is just how I want the model to look, so it will look quite a bit darker than this when it's done... the blue looks quite pale in the first photo but is much darker to the naked aye... ;-)

post-7638-0-00177200-1362324351_thumb.jpg

Comparison with a Bachmann Warship shows how well Dapol have captured the short, stubby character of the 22 to perfection...

post-7638-0-51432700-1362324406_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Nidge

Cant be one of Norman's - there are no gas holders in the background!

Hee hee

The last of those gas holders has just been demolished so no more phots of them any way

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice.

This, however, is definitely not one of Preedy's ;)  

DSCN8418_zpsa0bc0945.jpg

Hard to believe these have been happily running around the layout for most of a year now!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this is in the wrong section for this posting this but I was not sure which category it should be under.

I have a minor issue with the circuit board in my recently purchased Dapol Class 22. As hopefully can be seen in the photos there are two SMD resistors (R2 & R3) that appear to have either suffered heat damage or have been manually replaced with another variety as they do not match the other resistors. (in fact they look more like the capacitors on the PCB rather than a resistor!) There's also a suspiciously dry solder on the white wire which will also need attention...

All functions appear to work well under DCC with the exception of one of the cab lights so it only a minor problem. Having purchased this second hand I have no idea if this has suffered any sort of mistreatment to cause this damage – or warrant repair if that is what has happened.  Would anyone be able to assist me in identifying the values of these resistors so I can attempt to replace them - and hopefully make a neater job of it if I can?  I'd rather not have to spend £30 on a new PCB for the want of a few pence for resistors and some careful soldering!  Thank you.

post-14426-0-03063400-1366062111.jpg

post-14426-0-75831500-1366062111.jpg

post-14426-0-46272300-1366062112.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has just had a bit of a mishap- it shorted out one axle on a point. This has caused the plastic parts, including the gear, to melt. A part of the bogie base plate has also melted and distorted.

I will have to contact Dapol to see if I can obtain the bits to repair it. I'll PM DapolDave to see what can be done.

The good news is that the other three axles still have drive to them and the ESU sound decoder is unaffected.

I should add that this is no way a warranty repair, just an unfortunate accident.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear :(

It may be no comfort at all in that situation to consider that this somehow reflects history in that near-new class 22 locos sometimes failed and were out of traffic for extended periods of time.  Good luck with Dapol - at least you're dealing with a manufacturer who has shown excellent customer care in the past.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick.

I am hoping DapolDave will be able to help and I have clearly stated to him that I will pay for any parts plus postage, etc. As you say, he has been nothing but helpful to people here in the past and has excellent communication skills (NOTE: buttering DapolDave up here! ;) ).

I tested the locomotive to assess the extent of the damage and found that it still ran quite happily with three-axle drive but derailed when the locked axle got to a point - not surprising since it was out of gauge and distorted. In one sense, the gear wheel melting saved the rest of the mechanism since there was no gear left to mesh with the rest of the gear train! ALthough not entirely clear from the angle of my photo, the axle itself would do credit to MN 'Bibby Line' (it became 'Z' shaped when looked from square on)!!   :D

Edited by SRman

Apologies if this is in the wrong section for this posting this but I was not sure which category it should be under.

I have a minor issue with the circuit board in my recently purchased Dapol Class 22. As hopefully can be seen in the photos there are two SMD resistors (R2 & R3) that appear to have either suffered heat damage or have been manually replaced with another variety as they do not match the other resistors. (in fact they look more like the capacitors on the PCB rather than a resistor!) There's also a suspiciously dry solder on the white wire which will also need attention...

All functions appear to work well under DCC with the exception of one of the cab lights so it only a minor problem. Having purchased this second hand I have no idea if this has suffered any sort of mistreatment to cause this damage – or warrant repair if that is what has happened.  Would anyone be able to assist me in identifying the values of these resistors so I can attempt to replace them - and hopefully make a neater job of it if I can?  I'd rather not have to spend £30 on a new PCB for the want of a few pence for resistors and some careful soldering!  Thank you.

For both cab lights to work, you need a four function decoder. The Bachmann 554 (and other 3 function decoders) will only give lights to one end.

N

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

DCC Supplies are your source of the parts - we had an axle failure on D6331, lost drive to one wheel

See http://dccsupplies.com/ - no connection other than a happy customer with a company based 2 miles from my childhood home!

Replacement wheelsets arrived 2 days later - excellent service. Looks like you'll be needing bogie mouldings too

Phil

If they cannot supply the tower sides I may have to do a bit of plasticard modelling. The wheels/axles themselves run in brass bearings so the plastic should be able to take the load ... provided it doesn't get hot again! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The replacement parts for the 22 arrived today, courtesy of Dapol Dave Jones and DCC Supplies and at no cost to me (even though I offered to pay since it wasn't a warranty claim), so many, many thanks to both parties.

What is more, they didn't just send me the necessary parts to repair the existing damaged bogie, they sent the whole bogie assembly. What wonderful service!

The process of swapping commenced - I had already fitted the new bogie in place when I thought to take the pictures, so the first one is actually of the damaged bogie.

DapolClass22BogieReplacement-1_zps2fbda3

The chassis with its top circuit board and plate removed (four small screws, one of which I dropped even with a magnetised screwdriver!). The wires have been resoldered and protected with heat-shrink tubing. Note that I also took the opportunity to remove the capacitors from their position on the top of the motor.

DapolClass22BogieReplacement-2_zpsb75cbd

DapolClass22BogieReplacement-3_zpsd260a6

The top plate/retainer added back to the top of the bogie tower, after lightly oiling the gears.

DapolClass22BogieReplacement-4_zpsb70322

After testing on the programming track to ensure all was well, it is back in service, as good as new.

DapolClass22BogieReplacement-5_zps388991

Toby was always nearby, 'supervising' the repairs and never comfortably far away from the soldering iron!!

TobyAssistingwithTrains1small_zps0dd635f

TobyAssistingwithTrains2small_zpsbb1e3f4

Edited by SRman
  • Like 11

A previous poster asked about any news on the release date of the disc headcode versions of the Class 22. This interests me as well, but there has been no response, including nothing from Dapol. While not wanting to be too pushy, the situation is a bit confusing as Dapol have been advertising the impending release of this version in their own adverts in Hornby magazine, showing first a release in January 2013 (Feb 2013 Hornby mag); March 2013 (April 2013 Hornby mag) and now nothing in their latest ad. This is similar to the position of the release date for the standard version maroon Westerns, which have been advertised as being released from January onwards. Dapol have been noticeably quiet in giving updates on this, as it seems, like other brands, their release programme is slipping. In other threads there is the delay on the release of the 2nd and other versions of their MRA wagon set, which is now more than 12 months after its original advertised release due to manufacturing sub contractor delays. I'd like Dapol to continue to have our respect, by being prepared to update their model release programme when they have advertised releases and nothing appears