Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Gold

There were three others in all over green with later headcode boxes from new - D6334/5/6 - though strictly the Dapol model doesn't cover these. I can't remember what the differences are though. They lasted in this condition for about 3 years, from late 1960 to 1963/4. This is about the best photo available online.

4514451036_7b046e774a_o.jpgRattery by chippy1966, on Flickr

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 45568 said:

Thanks for that Phil. looking at the model picture on RoS site, and the pic. of D6324, what differences are there from the Dapol model? (I bow to your greater knowledge of things hydraulic!!!).

Cheers ,

Peter C.

Hi Peter

The following details on the nose end are different on the Dapol model...

Position of handrails

Depth of head code boxes

Position of marker lights

Position of lamp irons

Shape of horn grilles

its almost as if D6324 was an experimental fit - which would chime with an early fitting of head code boxes I guess. But ultimately its your loco so make your own judgement

I do have an affection for D6324 - here she is at Worcester Shrub Hill Open Day, photo from Flickr by Geoff Dowling

D6324 Worcester open day

And thats yours truly caught in the act of cabbing the nearest 03!

We are contemplating converting one of the current Dapol releases to a later series loco - would like D6336 and D6342, would mean reworking the front end

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I could immediately tell that was Worcester. :)

Only because I was looking at photos of it earlier including this one...

http://www.miac.org.uk/class22.html

Jason

Yes good source of local info there although was becoming a bit of a backwater by this time - traffic was disappearing every year, culminating with the loss of NE - SW through trains which all went down the Spetchley bypass (which was of course the original line any way!) rather than detour through Worcester. That Open Day seemed very special at the time - there was even a Blue Pullman present.

If you go to the Flickr Class 22 group there are more photos of the stored 22s

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2868035@N20/pool/

Cheers

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks to Phil and others for their information. On the face of it 6324 was a one-off, and I have decided against purchase of a further class 22. Bl**dy good price though, and kernow have them as well.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, 45568 said:

Thanks to Phil and others for their information. On the face of it 6324 was a one-off, and I have decided against purchase of a further class 22. Bl**dy good price though, and kernow have them as well.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

It wasn’t a one off in terms of having exterior fit headcode boxes. It received them following a collision with D6302 which also then received them without a yellow warning panel. Other 22s to receive the same fit were D6306/D6307/D6317/D6326 but these seem to have had the yellow warning panel added at the same time or before. D6302/D6324/D6326 were later converted to have the interior fit headcode boxes. 

• Informative/Useful 2

As I recall (from earlier in this thread) Dapol decided against retooling the front end to produce the later versions because 'the (economic) climate was not right' (or words to that effect). I don't know about the Dapol 'microclimate' but things might be different now. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm toying between models to buy, can anyone help me tie down some dates?

Its between D6321 with headcodes and GSYP. I've found a picture of it in this condition in May 1967 - but when did it get headcodes? I've also come across a picture of it with the small yellow panel, but without the headcode boxes at Exeter Central... dated only to "1960s" though. 

The other option is D6322, which would match the condition of D6321 at Central, but I cant find any images of it in this condition, or when it got headcode boxes (was it when it was repainted into blue in April 1968?)

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys, so I weakened and D6322 arrived with me today and what a cracker of a little loco she is :)

Slightly different from my first 22, better I'd say.

This one needs its disc headcodes fitted, I tried one on and the pin is way bigger than the provided hole, what is the method of fixing please?

Also, pipes and connections, I run over middle radi curves, can I fit some all or none.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

On a similar vein to mikes question above I received the green head code version today. Do the head code stickers go on the outside of the glass or do you take off the body to fit them behind the glass?

thanks

mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pin bigger than hole? Open up hole with drill or point of fine file.

Headcode stickers? throw them in the bin, find some with a decent font (Look at Precision Labels) and fit inside replacement thin glazing - acetate from box windows is pretty good

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Part of the problem, I suspect, is the shade of blue used—looks far too green for me. This was typical of many Dapol locos at one tim, funnily enough the 'N' gauge version is much better colour-wise; why didn't they change the colour when they re-ran it (or is this one of the original issues?)

On 13/05/2019 at 12:23, JohnR said:

I'm toying between models to buy, can anyone help me tie down some dates?

Its between D6321 with headcodes and GSYP. I've found a picture of it in this condition in May 1967 - but when did it get headcodes? I've also come across a picture of it with the small yellow panel, but without the headcode boxes at Exeter Central... dated only to "1960s" though. 

The other option is D6322, which would match the condition of D6321 at Central, but I cant find any images of it in this condition, or when it got headcode boxes (was it when it was repainted into blue in April 1968?)

Re: D6321, the latest photo I have without headcode boxes is dated June 1965. The earliest with headcode boxes is February 1967. 

Re: D6322, it would seem that of the members of the class that had their headcode boxes retro-fitted while in green livery only D6302 was repainted to either of the first two styles of blue. Or to put it the other way around D6300/03/14/18/22/25/27/28/32/33 didn’t have headcode boxes while in green livery. 

The work on D6322 itself was carried out during April/May 1967 following collision damage at one end. The “new end” is subtly non-standard. 

Edited by csiedmo
Fact correction
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Ive got 6 of these now, 3 earlier and 3 of the 2018 releases.

Ive got a nice little branch line job for them.

I guess you need that many as 5 will be laid up not working if they are true to the prototype.

More seriously, are there any significant differences between the batches? I only have from the early batch and my only grumble is the valances are forever falling off.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I guess you need that many as 5 will be laid up not working if they are true to the prototype.

More seriously, are there any significant differences between the batches? I only have from the early batch and my only grumble is the valances are forever falling off.

Roy

The blue is better in my opinion on the later ones.

Green seems the same.

one of my earlier version green ones has a constantly loose body..every time I pick it up, the body comes off in my hands, concurrent to the valances dropping onto the track.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Also the later batches have a different PCB inside that features switches for lighting control.

Just thought I ought to add - you can get the later PCB from DCC Supplies to retro-fit to an earlier model if you fancy having more control of the cab lights.  I discovered that when I replaced a failed PCB in an early model; the replacement wasn't cheap but at least had the bonus of the lighting switches.

Oops, sorry, duff gen: I've just been and looked at it and it's the blanking plug that is supplied with the new PCB (though the website states the PCB comes without a blanking plug) that has the switches on it.  Same outcome, for DC users anyway.  The part number for the PCB is 105379 and the photo shows the original style PCB, though if you order one you will get the later type.

Edited by PJT
Added information

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The blue is better in my opinion on the later ones.

Green seems the same.

one of my earlier version green ones has a constantly loose body..every time I pick it up, the body comes off in my hands, concurrent to the valances dropping onto the track.

I tended to dislodge the valances every time I handled my earlier model too. My solution was to use a small amount of black-tack mastic to anchor them to the chassis. They can still be moved slightly while handling the model, but they don't tend to drop off now.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2019 at 22:04, Markwj said:

On a similar vein to mikes question above I received the green head code version today. Do the head code stickers go on the outside of the glass or do you take off the body to fit them behind the glass?

thanks

mark

IMG_0904.JPG.9e03f3ac6e4a8e2e46f28a18b9662820.JPG

Hi Mark,

As Phil says the provided headcodes do the model no justice whatsoever. Unfortunately a common theme with recent Dapol and Heljan diesels. Correct font and size headcodes make a huge difference. Replace them with 3.8mm precision labels (should be to scale 4.0mm but they don't fit behind the glazing). I attach the decal to a piece of clear acetate suitably whittled down to fit using Glue n glaze. Wipers, handrails and glazing now all fitted by the way.

neil 

Edited by Downendian
Not card if you want illuminated headcodes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1