Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Anyone know when the class 22 is due??? Anyone seen any pre-production pics? Thought it was due before the end of the year

when there is something to tell I am afrid it looks like a 2010 release going by the caterlog which has the latest cad artwork.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those that may not read MRE Mag online and have an interest in the class 22...

"Dapol Class 22 Delayed

In a communication with MREmag reader, Tony Cockrell, Dapol have informed him that the Class 22 model that they had planned to release this year has been put back to 2010 and is expected to be ready for distribution in the first half of the year."

Any word on the N gauge version of the 22 or is that still just WIP? Between this and Farish's class 14, that just leaves the D600s missing from N gauge hydraulic lineup (and the full set available to in 00).

D600s are available RTR resin albeit a bit pricy.

Missing are however some of the other old heritage hydraulics that people forget

- NBL D2/1, D2/10 etc (incredibly for North British diesel builds some of the NBL shunters not only survive in preservation but actually still run)

- Class 127 DMU

Any word on the N gauge version of the 22 or is that still just WIP?

With the N gauge version not scheduled until after the OO version, and the OO version now being delayed, I guess that means that the N gauge version will also be delayed. I wouldn't expect it until very late next year. But fortunately Dapol have got plenty of other even more interesting and desirable N gauge models scheduled to develop and launch - such as classes 58, 86, 142, 390, 26, 205, 121, 43,....... etc.,..........

G.

Is this the first 'new generation' diesel loco from Dapol (not counting the Pendolino)?

I would have thought Dapol were very well placed to adapt this tooling / chassis for a Class 21 or 29, which plenty of people have mentioned in wishlists. If the chassis is as good as the N gauge Class 67 then I think we're in for a treat!

The 22 and 21/9 aren't as similar as you think - the 22 was significantly shorter for a start.

Very true. In many ways, there's little more than a family likeness lent by the cab windows, cross sectional body profile (stopping short at the solebar) and the shape of the cab flat face, but not its details. Bogies are completely different. Some individually added components/ etches could probably be shared with the 21 and the D600.

• 1 month later...

^^^

Oh brilliant Steve! You got rid of that screw on the front!

I can't possibly take the credit for what was an excellent job, considering the starting point*.

On my other 21/29s, I found that the easiest way to get rid of the screws was to sell the locos!

* and no, it's not even OO...

• 2 months later...

Link: http://www.Dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=558&Itemid=64

Right-click view image makes the bottom picture look a little less silly as its been uploaded with the wrong border size as usual.

Looks nice though I can't comment on shape. I got rather annoyed at the loss of one night's CAD work nevermind much more, I tend to backup to another device every hour of work now to be safe!

• Like 1

Very encouraging DapolDave.

I'm hoping you caption in one of the drawings means what it suggests - in the past tense -

"Unfortunately due to circumstances totally beyond our control we were

unable to manufacture the model due to the almost total loss of our cad/cam files in China."

You are now back on track and will manufacture the model in 2010.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who reread that statement then breathed a sigh of relief.

The biggest problem for me is deciding which one and who to order it from !!!

Thanks very much DapolDave for keeping updated.

• RMweb Premium

Good to know the 22's are still coming. Just like the real thing all too often they seem to have had a bit of a failure en route but will arrive eventually! Two (one green syp, one blue) have been ordered from Kernow since they were first announced. In due course they will look superb alongside Kernow's own D6xx Warships which are now said to be due sometime in 2011. I'll need at least two of those as well and very likely more.

Hello

I too have ordered mine from kernow (other shops are available folks :rolleyes: ). My intention was to show support for their D600 venture by pre-ordering the Class 22.

Full yellow ends and BR blue for me, with fingers crossed for a half yellow panel blue version, love them chromatics!!!

Tom

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can any of you Class 22 followers help by letting me know which of the proposed Dapol models best suits the following class numbers for the 1961 - 1965 period:

D6309, D6342 and D6348

Thank you