Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Premium

Yes I see what you mean on the Class 52 with the thick plastic lense.

I take it you used Precision Labels which are either 3.5 or 4mm figures 

I will have to have think.

Terry 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/02/2020 at 14:59, ELTEL said:

Yes I see what you mean on the Class 52 with the thick plastic lense.

I take it you used Precision Labels which are either 3.5 or 4mm figures 

I will have to have think.

Terry 

Internal headcodes with the thinnest possible glazing will always look the biz.... and train crew help too as @Enterprisingwestern once pointed out to us!

CLass 52 1046.JPG

Class 52 1048.JPG

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So back on topic ....

I mentioned back up the thread that we were looking at creating D6336 and D6342 from the later batch

D6336 first - heres progress to date, am happy that the basic furniture is now OK.. Headcode boxes and all existing furniture removed - all detail sanded down. New boxes sited lower are extreme etchings Class 37 filed down to make the frames thinner and mounted on microstrip. New doors fabricated from plasticard. Time to move on to other furniture....

13C2D3CB-1FB0-4462-BD18-33DEFAF9C8E0.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photo added
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

7 hours ago, 96701 said:

It looks to me that the loco is resting on a sleeper.

Psst! Better not tell Phil B that the sleeper is just a tad overscale. We don't want to put him off the excellent modelling job he's doing on the 22. :jester:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

No sleeping here!

Getting to the point where the first end is finished.... thought I'd show you without paint as you can see better whats been done...

Lamp irons have tested my sanity.....!!!!

just door and headcode box hinges to add once styrene rod arrives

4B4D258A-1A7F-4224-896A-021C4181E0F6.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photo added
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

In case anyone wants to follow heres a blow by blow account....

First - before doing anything else - get what you need - including pictures of your chosen loco.

Order

Class 40 split box etches from Extreme Etchings - EEDP40-18.

Class 21/22/29 nose end detail pack .... A1 models on Ebay

0.31mm ns wire

Silver Tay lamp irons on EBay

Brass tube, sheet and plasticard sheet and strip.

Whilst you are waiting for those remove existing hand rails and lamp irons. It’s the headcode boxes that are the main work

Pilot drill a hole through the moulded circular top vents either side of the doors just below the driver/second man front windows. These together with the head/tail lamp holes will serve to give you location reference points later.

Then carefully carve away the head code box surrounds flush with the surface - and all other raised details on the nose end. Leave the outline of the headcode boxes visible. Take a small flat file - handily the most common size is exactly the width of the headcode box aperture - and extend the aperture down 1mm to the lower limits of the existing box you have just removed - the outline will still be visible.

Once you are happy with this then clean off all moulded nose end detail and fill existing hand rail and lamp iron holes with squadron putty. Rub down to a smooth surface - the nose doors are recessed, leave them visible as a template for the new doors you are going to make.

First job is to sort the headcode boxes. The etches are thin so need to be soldered on to brass sheet....0.5mm is about right. Drill centre of aperture and file out to open up box to internal edge of etching box. The frames are too heavy so file down width from outside too ensuring final results are square and consistent. Sweat on a length of 0.31mm ns wire along the top edge of the box to represent the hinge. Then mount boxes in place on model aligning Internal lower edge of box with internal edge of aperture. Superglue good for this but use gel not thin stuff. Ensure boxes are square and height is right relative to reference points and lateral orientation is correct relative to doors and edge of nose.

The original 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a problem with my Class 22 loco with slightly jerky movement setting off and at low speed which disappears at moderate speed. It would appear to be like a mild case of motor cogging.

The loco was bought when it was a new release and never turned a wheel until now.

I've just re-wheeled it with P4 wheels and thought that it might have been something to do with that. I used CK's method as described in his Engine Wood blog except I used a set of brass wheels with fly-cut brass spokes so shorting to the axles wasn't needed.

20210213_175905.jpg.e1e29355706abeb3419e39a9992070a0.jpg  20210216_112405a.jpg.6f36ab8a5d503f5f014e2187fb156a7d.jpg  

Another strange indication is that when setting off and at low speed the white LEDs, front and rear, start a rapid flickering which disappears as speed increases and it then runs smoothly with the lights steady. Could this be anything to do with all the DCC circuitry on top or is this a known problem? DCC will not be fitted.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought I'd just 'bump' this topic, partly because I am also curious as to why John's loco is behaving as he describes.

On a (presumably) unrelated note, though, I also have a question about the motors in these Class 22s.

Are the Dapol Class 22s fitted with coreless motors or ordinary motors, please?

Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

So far none of my seven 22s has given any cause for concern and they certainly don't behave in the manner commented on above.  One or two sound a little coggy as do a couple of their stable-mate Westerns but the running is fine.  It seems to be a factor of Dapol's production.  If I were pressed I would say one has a very slight wobble to its gait.  I could put that down to back-to-backs or a tiny defect in the wheel-set but I haven't investigated either because it is of no consequence to me and if I hadn't looked really closely I wouldn't have spotted it.  

Are they coreless?  I thought they were conventional and that DJ introduced coreless motors on the Beattie well-tanks which were under his own name co-marketed with the commissioning retailer.  But I'm always happy to sit corrected when required.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This may seem a draft question (and most likely is) but, what do you folks think about the possibility of another run of the 4mm 22's in the future?

There's a fair few about on the 2nd hand market but they're looking far too pricey for old toys to me.

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya
should drink herbal tea not gin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

This may seem a draft question (and most likely is) but, what do you folks think about the possibility of another run of the 4mm 22's in the future?

There's a fair few about on the 2nd hand market but they're looking far too pricey for old toys to me.

Cheers

Always worth watching what DCC supplies are selling as imperfects Tim

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2021 at 15:49, Phil Bullock said:

Always worth watching what DCC supplies are selling as imperfects Tim

That reminds me ... thanks for the heads up on DCC Supplies, got green body from them and a new SYP 22 (D63XX ;) )  on eBay for a reasonable £110.

Thank you sir :good: 

Edited by Tim Dubya
SYP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

With Dapol having apparently abandoned the planned later batch model we have gone it alone. D6336 already seen up thread, D6342 now added, a Gloucester outbased loco for a while which turned up on an inspection saloon at Worcester one day. Left to right are D6320/31/36/42

6B35A2C9-6703-44BE-9AA7-41D10B8BD443.jpeg

BCCD9D74-FE57-464D-B5BB-709E4DCA273D.jpeg

Nice line-up Phil! I see you have correctly left the data panels off D6342 as it didn't last long enough to get them - overhauled and repainted BFYE 12/67 (just before Class 22 overhauls were suspended), withdrawn 12/68, gone by 5/69. I wonder why this one got the chop so quickly - fire? Collision? Mistake?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Nice line-up Phil! I see you have correctly left the data panels off D6342 as it didn't last long enough to get them - overhauled and repainted BFYE 12/67 (just before Class 22 overhauls were suspended), withdrawn 12/68, gone by 5/69. I wonder why this one got the chop so quickly - fire? Collision? Mistake?!

D6342 is in store at Worcester along with D6321 in this photo from Glevum Blues on Flickr. Also present were D6316/24/25/29, D6325 also in BFYE. None of them showed any external sign of damage. The dreadful Brush type 2s started arriving from the ER  in 1968 so I wonder if they were just switched off as surplus … or perhaps mechanical failure but none ever worked again - to my knowledge - after they were stored at 85A. A one way trip to Cashmores in May 69 awaited.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Anyone come across a genuine sound recording yet?

Other question is I am looking for real life experiences of working on 22s

Were they reliable? I've seen 85% spoken about.

What level of comfort was there in the cab.

That kind of thing.

Many thanks

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

No experience of working on them (cabbing quite a few doesn't count!) but quite a lot of watching them at work in Cornwall. The impression I got from what I've read is that those employed on Paddington ECS duties were thrashed pretty hard - tales of glowing turbochargers! - and when they inevitably broke down the Old Oak Common crews made a lot of noise about it. Elsewhere on the WR where they were not so harshly treated they trundled up and down branch lines quite successfully. Since they could find themselves some distance 'out in the sticks' poor reliability would have been an operational headache, but I'm not aware of any such reputation.

Personally I can only recall one obvious failure during my Cornish observations (1966-71) when D6312 failed at Grampound Road while travelling west light engine on, I think, 27 February 1970, requiring D1018 heading the down 'Cornish Riviera Express' to push it on to Truro where it was dumped in the bay platform (now used by Falmouth branch trains).

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

No experience of working on them (cabbing quite a few doesn't count!) but quite a lot of watching them at work in Cornwall. The impression I got from what I've read is that those employed on Paddington ECS duties were thrashed pretty hard - tales of glowing turbochargers! - and when they inevitably broke down the Old Oak Common crews made a lot of noise about it. Elsewhere on the WR where they were not so harshly treated they trundled up and down branch lines quite successfully. Since they could find themselves some distance 'out in the sticks' poor reliability would have been an operational headache, but I'm not aware of any such reputation.

Personally I can only recall one obvious failure during my Cornish observations (1966-71) when D6312 failed at Grampound Road while travelling west light engine on, I think, 27 February 1970, requiring D1018 heading the down 'Cornish Riviera Express' to push it on to Truro where it was dumped in the bay platform (now used by Falmouth branch trains).

Great insight thanks 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

Unfortunately the ex. BR drivers I knew that would have driven NBL Type 2's at Oxford have all passed away. I also cannot remember any of them becoming failures whist performing their respective roles whilst at 81F, the Abingdon branch MG car trains, Cowley branch car trains to Hinksey yard, Fairford branch to Witney blanket mill, Wolverton to OOC empty stock workings and occasionally the Blisworth parcels. Some of them looked a bit down at heel but some of the later blue repaints started to appear before they were all withdrawn. I think the duties at Oxford were less arduous than those at Old Oak and even on a couple of occasions that I remember them deputising for Hymeks on the Worcester line they seemed to complete the round trip OK. Apparently they were quite comfortable and warm in the cabs but I expect the vulnerable CWA boilers were not used on Oxford duties improving reliability somewhat!

6352 Oxford June 69 Slide 672.jpg

6356 Oxford March 70 Slide 1213.jpg

D6328 Oxford May69  Slide560.jpg

D6332 Old Oak Common July 67.jpg

D6336 Oxford November 69 Slide 1079.jpg

D6351 Oxford June 67 Slide 100.jpg

D6326 Oxford October 69 Slide 1015.jpg

D6327 Oxford June 69 Slide 673.jpg

Thanks very much for this, I love those images really nice

• Agree 4