Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Are they going to fit a Voith transmission? One thing I heard many years ago (when D821 was at the Colchester open day) was that one of the bogies under D821 was an NBL built one.

As far as I know (I'll ask Tids when I see him next) the transmissions wont be touched. Theres a bit of a shortage of Voiths anyway! One of Prince's is in Champion! Also I believe that 832 is sitting on 818s bogies, but them did 818 keep the same bogies all her life?

• RMweb Gold

Dave's Listening, dont you worry.

And i must admit to a love of hydraulics.

And i think that the Warship in any guise (and gauge) has not been done correctly..............yet :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

And didnt the 43s have the best names? Lets roll them out - Panther... Superb ....Swift ..... and of course for Kirk Douglas fans ..... Viking.

Got to be best sellers!

And plenty of livery variations to chose from -

Late survivor in MSYP D839 Ramilles

Late repaint in to MFYP D838 Rapid

Late survivor in GSYP D845 Sprightly - also with panel variations and white cab roof

Early BFYP with brown skirts D864 Zambesi

Early BFYP with arrows both cab D843 Steadfast

Intermediate BFYP with small arrows over nameplate D847 Strongbow

Late BFYP - take your pick !

And wasnt there a bizarre green variant with the carriage roundel rather than the usual totem?

Come on Dave - you know you want to.....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know (I'll ask Tids when I see him next) the transmissions wont be touched. Theres a bit of a shortage of Voiths anyway! One of Prince's is in Champion! Also I believe that 832 is sitting on 818s bogies, but them did 818 keep the same bogies all her life?

Hi there,

The diesel hydraulics were designed with major component changes in mind. Engines, transmissions and bogies were changed as necessary because of failures at the WR depots at Old Oak Common, Bristol Bath Road, Plymouth Laira, Cardiff Canton. They would also be changed when they got to their overhaul hours target. In the case of the Warships, the engines and transmissions had to be the types they were built with, but the bogies were completely interchangeable between the two manufacturer's classes. The locos only needed to go to Swindon for scheduled body overhauls and major work beyond the capabilities or time availability at depots. So when a loco arrived at Swindon for overhaul, the engines, transmissions and bogies could be sent out as depot spares if there was still significant time to their next overhaul. With the amount of component changing that went on it was quite rare for a loco to arrive at Swindon with all major elements due overhaul. It was "an interesting time!".

Bazza

Edited by Bazza

And i must admit to a love of hydraulics.

And i think that the Warship in any guise (and gauge) has not been done correctly..............yet :locomotive:

OK, now you have really piqued my curiosity.

Warships could be D600s, D800s or D833s. We know you have the D600s in the pipeline for Kernow (and they would be very welcome in N gauge too ;)).

Bachmann/Farish do the D800s in 00 and N gauge and IIRC they are pretty decent models. Whilst I am not averse to more hydraulics, it seems an unusual choice if you are planning to duplicate them.

Similarly with the D833s. While they would be welcome, are they different enough from the Swindon variety to drive extra sales?

Hi there,

The diesel hydraulics were designed with major component changes in mind. Engines, transmissions and bogies were changed as necessary because of failures at the WR depots at Old Oak Common, Bristol Bath Road, Plymouth Laira, Cardiff Canton. They would also be changed when they got to their overhaul hours target. In the case of the Warships, the engines and transmissions had to be the types they were built with, but the bogies were completely interchangeable between the two manufacturer's classes. The locos only needed to go to Swindon for scheduled body overhauls and major work beyond the capabilities or time availability at depots. So when a loco arrived at Swindon for overhaul, the engines, transmissions and bogies could be sent out as depot spares if there was still significant time to their next overhaul. With the amount of component changing that went on it was quite rare for a loco to arrive at Swindon with all major elements due overhaul. It was "an interesting time!".

Bazza

Wasn't the original intention that the MAN and Maybach engines, Voith and Mekydro transmissions would be completely interchangeable between the NBL and Swindon built Warships ? But this was scuppered by minor dimensional discrepencies and modifications when they were built ? Seem to remember reading this in one of the standard hydraulic history bibles.

STEVE

Wasn't the original intention that the MAN and Maybach engines, Voith and Mekydro transmissions would be completely interchangeable between the NBL and Swindon built Warships ? But this was scuppered by minor dimensional discrepencies and modifications when they were built ? Seem to remember reading this in one of the standard hydraulic history bibles.

STEVE

Exactly right, and the design concept would of allowed for this but for detail changes made quite late on in the design process. I think it was even intended that the engine types could be mixed and matched within the same loco if needed. I think the fact that this standardisation was a "none event" weighed heavily against the hydraulics when the rationalisation plan was drawn up.

I asked Harvey at the Hobby Shop in Faversham to put a blue one of these by for me a few weeks back, but then had a despatch confirmation from Kernow - I had obviously placed an order when this model was announced several years ago and forgot about it. Anyhow, The Hobby Shop's price is £105 which is considerably cheaper than both Kernow or the well known Liverpool box-shifter. I've obviously honoured the Kernow order (and they are owned by a former colleague of mine in the rail industry so I've plenty of goodwill for them), but if you want a bargain one, Harvey has one more for sale (he's fine about it as his shop gets a high proportion of my model spend.

Anyhow, first impressions are good, albeit the blue and yellow are somewhat washed out in shade - but my impression from photos is that the WR hydraulics suffered a lot of bleaching to their colour so it actually looks OK!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyhow, first impressions are good, albeit the blue and yellow are somewhat washed out in shade - but my impression from photos is that the WR hydraulics suffered a lot of bleaching to their colour so it actually looks OK!

Im not sure if the colors are washed out , or the correct shade , but I dont think the matt paint finish helps the look of the model. I was looking at the blue one in my local shop and ike the green ones it doesnt have any depth or lustre to the colors as they should have - and makes a lovely fine moulding look rather toy like IMO . I hope Dapol Dave can take note - Im not sure I'd buy the Western if it comes out with the same sort of finish as the 22 :( Also theres noticeable 'shiny' patches on the ends of the model where the packaging has rubbed and 'polished' the paintwork - something to check before you buy. Theres a little modification you can do to the packaging to stop this happending - its easier for me to post a picture later than try to explain - ill go charge the camera :)

tfn

Jon

Well I've only had my model for 8 days and already the windows have been removed, the rivets filed down and the boiler exhaust port modified.

The colour on the photo is the colour of the model, you can see some Railmatch blue on the over painted areas.

post-7112-0-20142300-1325548629.jpg

Edited by Flood

I've got the same controller and I believe F2 is commonly used for whistles with sound decoders, hence the momentary action. I don't know about the Hornby Sapphire decoder as I've been rather less than impressed with Hornby's digital stuff generally. I used the TCS EU621 as I know how to remap the function outputs on TCS decoders. They have a useful chart http://www.tcsdcc.co...onRemapping.pdf which shows you how to do it. F3 is commonly used for the 'low gear' function I think. Just as example I remapped the F2 cab light to F5 by sending a value of 64 to CV36

Hope this is some help.

Keith.

Keith

Many thanks for the info. The Hornby Sapphire does not allow for function mapping and has been removed. Following your comments I bought the TCS EU621. Now everything works fine. Have remapped the F2 function to F3 and have even managed to program the cab lights so they only come on on the opposite end to travel. Nice decoder as well.

Thanks again

Mike

Well I've only had my model for 8 days and already the windows have been removed, the rivets filed down and the boiler exhaust port modified.

The colour on the photo is the colour of the model, you can see some Railmatch blue on the over painted areas. I've had to use photobucket as images won't upload to the site at the moment.

http://smg.photobuck...ent=Class22.jpg

It seams to me a great shame that Dapol have gone their own way with the blue liveried models, there is a very green hue in their blue and it does not look good next to Hornby or Bachman stock. Is this the same rail blue they used on their N gauge models and the Stove R which they produced for Hornby Mag?

I just hope they change to a better blue before the A1A Warships and Westerns appear.

Its good to hear that the glazing comes out ok, although mine looks to be well glued, I have managed to remove the cab interiors to fit a crew. Has anyone managed to remove the sprung buffers yet.

Are these models been built one number at a time and then shipped? The model I ordered has now been changed and I need to reorder. The next green with small yellow pannel number would be nice so I don't have to wait much longer.

Also is a green with full yellows in the pipeline?

Cheers

Jim

It seams to me a great shame that Dapol have gone their own way with the blue liveried models, there is a very green hue in their blue and it does not look good next to Hornby or Bachman stock.

Bachmann's early blue has often been commented on as being a tad dark anyway. As has oft been discussed on this forum, the perception of Rail Blue varies greatly according to many factors (personally I'd say it was a bit 'green' anyway). As ever, YMMV, but expecting everything to look 'the same' is a hiding to nothing.

Bachmann's early blue has often been commented on as being a tad dark anyway. As has oft been discussed on this forum, the perception of Rail Blue varies greatly according to many factors (personally I'd say it was a bit 'green' anyway). As ever, YMMV, but expecting everything to look 'the same' is a hiding to nothing.

I understand what you are saying Pennine, but the Dapol blue, to my eye looks very different to any other rail blue that I accept as being ok, I run Hornby, Bachman, Lima, Heljan and my own Railmatch airbrushed models side by side and while I accept there are differences, they all look near enough the same colour to me, I am just interested what others think and maybe a little suprised that i have not seen this raised before if Dapol have been using this rail blue for their earlier models.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How does the blue on the class 22 look against recent Dapol vans, anyone? I have a Fruit D and a CCT which I would consider are a bit on the pale side but which - in the case of those items - might be considered legitimately faded from prolonged exposure and infrequent repaints.

"Rail Blue" looks as varied as any other color between two items of rolling stock which have been painted at different locations and at different times then have had different exposure to daylight, washing plants and acid strengths. There would be a limit to acceptability but to define that limit may be an extremely subjective and personal decision.

"Rail Blue" looks as varied as any other color between two items of rolling stock which have been painted at different locations and at different times then have had different exposure to daylight, washing plants and acid strengths. There would be a limit to acceptability but to define that limit may be an extremely subjective and personal decision.

Hence my original comment that the colour looked washed out rather than wrong. It does very much remind me of the rather sunfaded look that rail blue/yellow would go after a time. I do rather suspect that a suitable semi-gloss varnish would bring out the colour a bit - but as my layout is in bits and I've other projects on the go mine will stay as delivered for now!