Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Premium

Apologies...now one more question. Any recommendations for the best Decals for a D63XX renumbering. I may just have to change my D6325 '5' to a new '4', but creating a new Set might be better?

Fox just do generic with no Specific D 63XX. Haven't checked Railtech...yet.

Thanks again all.

P

For anyone wanting to push the boundaries on all green D63xx, D6332 was photographed a number of times on the T-B line during Summer 1965, from late June to early September (i.e. the Summer Timetable), no head code boxes of any kind and no SYP throughout. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If it's of any interest I'm using my D63XX on actual things I have seen them doing at Seaton Junction (usually Milk) and imagined Diversions from the W.R. (the Diversions were real but the Loco's used are sometimes my choice!)

The WR used them for some time in 1964 at least, ousting decent SR Steam!

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Apologies...now one more question. Any recommendations for the best Decals for a D63XX renumbering. I may just have to change my D6325 '5' to a new '4', but creating a new Set might be better?

Fox just do generic with no Specific D 63XX. Haven't checked Railtech...yet.

Thanks again all.

P

All my loco renumbering nowadays are from railtec. E.g

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3186 
for £2 a complete number set, and complete removal of the factory applied number is always done. Applied with decalfix or similar it’s very difficult to see any film, but of course will vanish under a good coat of varnish.

Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Downendian said:

All my loco renumbering nowadays are from railtec. E.g

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3186 
for £2 a complete number set, and complete removal of the factory applied number is always done. Applied with decalfix or similar it’s very difficult to see any film, but of course will vanish under a good coat of varnish.

Neil

Thanks Neil. I've contacted them to ask if they will consider adding the Dapol Class 22 to their Diesel Sets. They seem to do almost all other Classes.

I too have used their Bespoke service and it's truly excellent.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I mentioned just a week ago that D6306 was a bit camera-shy, and what should pop up on today's Cornwall Railway Society update page but a last look at the loco at Cashmore's, parked in exactly the same spot as D6353 in the photo including a cab from D800. Note that the only place you'd see a '22' with all of its side valances missing is a scrapyard (just sayin'!)

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc

As luck would have it the second photo of a row of six also at Cashmore's shows the other '22' which went for scrap with the ugly boxes, D6317, displaying the collision damage I recall when I saw it on the Laira dump on 11/9/68 (a photo exists). The two blue ones must have been D6325 (small BR logos - the only other one like this, D6318, remained in traffic until 1971) and D6342, the only other BFYE example to be condemned in the 1968 cull. There are no significant identifying features on the rest although this consist may be on record somewhere. Again note that those visible have arrived for scrapping with all of their side valances attached!

Regarding D6306's camera avoidance, I did once find an excellent shot of it with the boxes in Truro Yard taken from the erstwhile Platform 4 and regret not saving it as I haven't seen it since. Perhaps someone else did.....?

PS Ooops, no, it's back! Dated 23rd August 1965 -note its good condition, indicating a works overhaul including box-fitting at Swindon earlier that year.

image.png.026ccb8fe0d6907347384bd43086aa42.png

Edited by Halvarras
Found the image!
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I mentioned just a week ago that D6306 was a bit camera-shy, and what should pop up on today's Cornwall Railway Society update page but a last look at the loco at Cashmore's, parked in exactly the same spot as D6353 in the photo including a cab from D800. Note that the only place you'd see a '22' with all of its side valances missing is a scrapyard (just sayin'!)

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc

As luck would have it the second photo of a row of six also at Cashmore's shows the other '22' which went for scrap with the ugly boxes, D6317, displaying the collision damage I recall when I saw it on the Laira dump on 11/9/68 (a photo exists). The two blue ones must have been D6325 (small BR logos - the only other one like this, D6318, remained in traffic until 1971) and D6342, the only other BFYE example to be condemned in the 1968 cull. There are no significant identifying features on the rest although this consist may be on record somewhere. Again note that those visible have arrived for scrapping with all of their side valances attached!

Regarding D6306's camera avoidance, I did once find an excellent shot of it with the boxes in Truro Yard taken from the erstwhile Platform 4 and regret not saving it as I haven't seen it since. Perhaps someone else did.....?

PS Ooops, no, it's back! Dated 23rd August 1965 -note its good condition, indicating a works overhaul including box-fitting at Swindon earlier that year.

image.png.026ccb8fe0d6907347384bd43086aa42.png

D6325 and D6342 were both from store at Worcester and as the other Class 22s from Worcester are in that line up it makes total sense for those two to be there too. Very sad! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Looks like the other new versions have arrived - Kernow have sold a 6356 to me and posted it (and Rails seem to have them as well). Slightly surprised that there has been no publicity yet.

I received D6330 from Kernow on 3rd November.  Have yet to fire it up though 👍

Edited by Tim Dubya

6 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I received D6330 from Kernow on 3rd November.  Have yet to fire it up though 👍

Well that's good - but not one of the retooled, final batch, versions. Unless I have missed something they (other than the Blue one) were only available for preorder until I Looked today.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Well that's good - but not one of the retooled, final batch, versions. Unless I have missed something they (other than the Blue one) were only available for preorder until I Looked today.

I was under the impression it was the retooled version, I'd been waiting for it for long enough...

IMG_20231125_100502808.jpg.7874cc935adf3aa3644d64e0696d4914.jpg

2 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I was under the impression it was the retooled version, I'd been waiting for it for long enough...

IMG_20231125_100502808.jpg.7874cc935adf3aa3644d64e0696d4914.jpg

Retooled in the sense of correct for the final batch with revised front end - D6334 to D6357. But they may have retooled the internal gubbins as well, which would apply to all the versions newly released.

23 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Retooled in the sense of correct for the final batch with revised front end - D6334 to D6357. But they may have retooled the internal gubbins as well, which would apply to all the versions newly released.

My D6356 arrived yesterday. (In less than 24 hrs from Kernow!) I have not tested it yet but the paperwork includes the information that the lighting function has been improved, with separate control of front, rear and cab lights.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

In Hattons '12 day's of Christmas sale', today's is the Class 22, last set of releases, with dc ready at  £125. Have ordered D6356 syp. dcc versions are also in the sale.

Edited by rembrow
Correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rembrow said:

In Hattons '12 day's of Christmas sale', today's is the Class 22, last set of releases, with dc ready at  £125. Have ordered D6356 syp. dcc versions are also in the sale.

All sold.

14 minutes ago, geoffers said:

Having bought the DCC-Sound version of D6330 am rather enjoying its sound footprint but I have wondered where the sound profile has been sourced. 

Perhaps not knowing is better, what if finding out it's not genuine spoils your enjoyment?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1