Dapol Class 22

DLPG

I wonder if this is an example of why it's better to get the design/development work done in the UK rather than trust it with a remote overseas company? It could be any other country mind you, not just China. It just seems to me that the trend to outsource such things so far away only invites additional problems (which appears to have affected all four of the major manufacturers at one time or another).

I doubt that even with the occasional problem the costs are anywhere near running a design studio in the UK though its probably got a bit more expensive with the weaker pound recently.

Besides there probably isn't many places in the UK to do that design work when the manufacturing facilities are in China anyway. Bachmann is not UK owned anyway.

Not sure if Dave can comment on this but it would be interesting.

Look forward to seeing this Tungsten chassis, is the motor a 5-pole job Dave? Are we going to get more CAD/CAM of the signed off shots before metal cutting?

I had an opportunity to ride on a class 22 on the demolition train. It took the workers a few months to rip up the tracks, and luckily, the workers were very friendly to us kids at the time.

Can you imagine that today - a strange man offering kids a joyride around a demolition site?

i think i menationed earlier in this thread that our original cad/cam design factory in China had had a fire, subsequently losing ALL the cad/cam files and variations for the class 22.

I get the impression that business continuity is a completely alien concept in places like China and India. They should have a copy of the files on a backup tape stored offsite in case this happens.:icon_thumbsdown2:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that the final cad/cam images of this project are on the home page of our website.

www.Dapol.co.uk

It's been a long journey and we thank you all for your patience, and hope to have the fist EP models to look at within 8 weeks.

i hope you like them and the attention to detail we have gone into.

Cheerssmile.gif

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Dave.

The orders have been placed for ages here. Just waiting patiently while you work through the issues and get the product delivered. Like any train it's a case of better late than never.

Hi Mike,

To help you with your problem, i have unearthed some hitherto unknown paperwork that tells me that ironically all of our stated releases worked in South Wales at one time or another, and that all the liveries were spotted there too!! rolleyes.gif

Amazing what some digging in the Dapol archives can produce wink.gif

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

I'm pretty sure many were delivered via the Waverley route due to engineering work affecting the GSW and WCML.

Well, it worked for NB-built Lord Nelsons a few decades previously, so that seems perfectly logical to me wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

To help you with your problem, i have unearthed some hitherto unknown paperwork that tells me that ironically all of our stated releases worked in South Wales at one time or another, and that all the liveries were spotted there too!! rolleyes.gif

Amazing what some digging in the Dapol archives can produce wink.gif

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Now there's a useful fellah, someone from the Captain Kernow school of railway observation :lol: As far diesel livery is concerned I tend towards a variant of the Henry Ford approach - by having any colour you offer, as long as it's the right shade of green ;)

Guest Phil

I'm pretty sure many were delivered via the Waverley route due to engineering work affecting the GSW and WCML.

Well, it worked for NB-built Lord Nelsons a few decades previously, so that seems perfectly logical to me wink.gif

Funny you should say that 'Chard.

My sources tell me that at least one D63xx was delivered to the WR via the Dudley. But not only that, as it approached Great Bridge North, the bobby stopped the loco and the crew were asked to bank an 8F hauled train of Stourport PS slack up to Dudley.

Well it sounds plausible enough to me.:P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Borrowed from another thread, here's a picture of a road vehicle amid some incidental scenery.

Merf more questions ! would it be possible to give a simple explanation of the road vehicle fleet numbering system?

I usually buy Roadscene , was slightly dissapointed with BR article as nearly all pics seen on the Chris Hodge website, hoping they might show some new . Why does the Austin Loadstar artic in yellow have a black bonnet , damage replacement ?

Nice colour pic of a green Morris J2 BR engineers crewbus with breakdown train-

http://freepages.nos...ritage/epi5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got one on order, Been told they will be out just before christmas !! Santa sack better have one in it .

I have a few photo of them working clay trains out of Torrington.

Darren01

Darren

Which D63XX numbers are in the photos you've got and what livery* / headcode** boxes do they have?

*full green or green with small yellow panel

** no boxes or split headcodes

I'm trying to work out which worked in the N Devon / N Cornwall areas on the old Southern lines. See my post here in my NCR thread.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

just finishing the smal details in the hope that i get them right, and i notice something.

I have amongst all those pictures everyone sent me for reference pictures taken 3/4 on shoing the cab side and the worksplate.

What i do not have is a picture of the worksplate to be able to replicate it accurately on the model in Brass. Anyone know what size it is and have access to a picture please?

Also i note that some pictures have them painted red, and others the more standard black. Was there a hard and fast rule or are the red ones 'specials' for some reason.

The class 22 is close now, as we have just signed off on the new OO gauge motor and i have been informed from China that the first shots are on the way.

Will post more details and perhaps pics when i have them.

cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

just finishing the smal details in the hope that i get them right, and i notice something.

I have amongst all those pictures everyone sent me for reference pictures taken 3/4 on shoing the cab side and the worksplate.

What i do not have is a picture of the worksplate to be able to replicate it accurately on the model in Brass. Anyone know what size it is and have access to a picture please?

Also i note that some pictures have them painted red, and others the more standard black. Was there a hard and fast rule or are the red ones 'specials' for some reason.

The class 22 is close now, as we have just signed off on the new OO gauge motor and i have been informed from China that the first shots are on the way.

cheers

Dave

Morning Dave,

Glad to hear things are moving along with the 22. Regarding the builders plates, there are some available in 4mm already, probably from Fox or 247 Developments etc, you could try them for size, at least as a guide. Additionally, I know it's a long shot and you are getting close to the finishing line, but the real plates do appear at railwayana auctions occasionally and the catalogues usually have the sizes included in the captions. Since I sent you the photos I've lost quite a few of them but don't remember seeing any red builders plates! On green locos they were usually black but when the locos were repainted blue the plates were overpainted in blue too. On the four which received blue / small yellow panels the plates were left intact on the cabsides, while the other blue / full yellow ends locos had all four plates removed from the cabs, two were discarded and the remaining two were fixed amidships on the side valances, one per side. I dare say the locos which had their plates painted red were done at Laira, as Warship 818 had it's oval shaped Swindon builders plate painted there for an open day whilst it was in blue livery.

Looking forward to seeing the pre-production pics B)

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

cheers

Dave

Dave,

I have just this minute photographed mine (it came off a D8XX 'Warship' but they were no different AFAIK) alongside a ruler and once the pics are uploaded and suitably resized for posting I will pop them in this thread unless you want big 'uns by email. The plates were aluminium as you perhaps know and were 12 inches in the horizontal direction x by 5 4/10 ths in the vertical across the centre of the diamond shape.

Hope this helps a bit?

Hi Dave,

There is a nice picture of an NBL worksplate here. The date would be loco specific. Unlike the steam engine worksplates, the D6300 plates did not carry the engine number on the front, just the year.

http://www.cat-flap.demon.co.uk/nb.htm

I believe the dimensions were 12" x 5" although I am not 100% positive on this.

The colour is a tricky one. The plates on the larger D600s were painted red but all the D6300 colour photos I can find show them as being black. Below are a selection of photos where the colour is clearly visible.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/gallery.aspx?id=77f7eb7b-900d-45ec-99b8-006a17a6506d

http://www.railblue.com/pages/Photo%20Galleries/David%20Mant%20Collection/DMC_D6356_RG_250267.htm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/D6343,_d7072_-_old_oak_common_-_1965.jpg

Unless anyone knows of pictures showing any class 22s with red plates, I would go for black.

There are pictures here of the worksplates for D6300 and D6304, both of which are black.

http://www.gwra.co.uk/CATALOGUES/Nov2009.htm

http://www.gwra.co.uk/Album%20Nov%2009/WEBCAT%20HTML/18.htm

• RMweb Gold

There are pictures here of the worksplates for D6300 and D6304, both of which are black.

http://www.gwra.co.uk/CATALOGUES/Nov2009.htm

http://www.gwra.co.uk/Album%20Nov%2009/WEBCAT%20HTML/18.htm

There is something distinctly odd about those two plates; looking at pics under a magnifying glass both D6302 and D6306 - not to mention later locos - clearly had plates which showed the build date with the NBL works number below (i.e. exactly as per the one I have posted the pics of). So did they come off something else on the loco, such as the transmission or a control cabinet, or are they fakes?