Dapol Class 22

DLPG

So did they come off something else on the loco, such as the transmission or a control cabinet, or are they fakes?[/i]

That is a very good question although not one I can answer. The description mentions that the plate from D6304 has been changed from 1958 to 1959 with a chisel! :blink:

Perhaps it would be best to assume that these plates are not necessarily representative.

• RMweb Gold

There is something distinctly odd about those two plates; looking at pics under a magnifying glass of D6300, D6302 and D6306 - not to mention later locos - clearly all had plates which showed the build date with the NBL works number below (i.e. exactly as per the one I have posted the pics of). And having now done some more delving with the aid of the magnifying glass I can't find a single picture of any of the NBL diesel hydraulics which doesn't have a works number on the builder's plate.

So did these two plates come off something else on the loco, such as the transmission or a control cabinet, or are they fakes?

I don't know if this helps, this plate originates from the same era as the Cl.22s.

However, as the relevant loco was not a diesel-hydraulic I'm not sure about the lower lettering.

No prizes for identifying the loco from which I obtained the plate, or where it met its' eventual fate.

Brian R

post-1599-064173500 1284706991_thumb.jpg

I also have the following plates, all from the NBL locos shown......

(2) D6354

Snap - although sadly mine has had the silver coating removed and touched up the black. Still, I'm not complaing for the £2 I paid.

d6346plate.jpg

Pix

Still, I'm not complaing for the £2 I paid.

"Two quid, you was robbed mate !"

The NBL worksplate from D6122 I found lying face down in Woodham's West Pond site, some distance from the loco. I then found the smaller piece of the plate still attached to the loco. As it was cast in some cheap alloy, the bods nearby just shrugged their shoulders, and anyway I think the 'statute of limitations' may have run out by now ?

Brian R

Am looking at a colour image of a worksplate on the cabside of D6302. The raised diamond shaped rim is brass, as is the text, whilst the background is painted black.

I've just run the ruler over mine, and it is 13.5" x 5.5"

Hope this helps.

Steve

Optimistic wern't they 75mph!

That was going down hill light engine ;) !

Most of the work they did would have been at much lower speeds, due in the most part to the maximum line speeds along the routes they spent most of their (too short) lives on. In the late 50s and early 60s, I think the highest speed anywhere on the Cornish mainline was something like 60mph. Having a max speed of 75mph gave them a little extra oomph for recovering from speed restricyions!

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

There are pictures here of the worksplates for D6300 and D6304, both of which are black.

http://www.gwra.co.uk/CATALOGUES/Nov2009.htm

http://www.gwra.co.uk/Album%20Nov%2009/WEBCAT%20HTML/18.htm

These accord with the official North British drawing which confirms them to be cab and engine plates.

• RMweb Premium

I remember seeing two of these hooked up at Didcot station brand spanking new all green no yellow warning panels, very noisy and rattling I can still smell the exhaust. Shortly after their introduction I believe they did a publicity run on a passenger train from Bristol to Paddington. The Castle hauled express following them had to be held up for 15mins as it was catching them at a rate of knots! I suppose with a 75 mph top speed they would have struggled to stay ahead of a Castle which was capable of far higher speeds.

• RMweb Gold

These accord with the official North British drawing which confirms them to be cab and engine plates.

Presumably engine plates then as they are not the same as the cabside works plates which in every photo I can find (see previous for sample loco numbers in the D63XX series) include the NBL works number.

Presumably engine plates then as they are not the same as the cabside works plates which in every photo I can find (see previous for sample loco numbers in the D63XX series) include the NBL works number.

I seem to recall (from somewhere) that there were plates on the engine (as stated), similarly inside the cab, with the larger plates with the NBL works number on the outside of the cabs ?

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know the North British lot numbers for these btw as I found some drawings from NB at the NRM in the Swindon boxes but didn't know what class they were from as all the references on them are internal NB ones.

Can't manage Lot numbers Craig but this source does at least quote Works Numbers http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%20Depth/class_22_header.htm

A bit of googling suggests that the Mitchell Library in Glasgow might be a useful port of call for NBL information.

Can't manage Lot numbers Craig but this source does at least quote Works Numbers http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%20Depth/class_22_header.htm

A bit of googling suggests that the Mitchell Library in Glasgow might be a useful port of call for NBL information.

The Brian Reed book ' Diesel Hydraulic Locomotives of the Western Region' quotes the following....

D6300 to D6305 Date of order 16/11/1955 Makers Order No L77 Swindon Lot No 426

D6306 to D6357 Date of order 05/11/1957 Makers Order No L97 Swindon Lot No 440

Steve

The Brian Reed book ' Diesel Hydraulic Locomotives of the Western Region' quotes the following....

D6300 to D6305 Date of order 16/11/1955 Makers Order No L77 Swindon Lot No 426

D6306 to D6357 Date of order 05/11/1957 Makers Order No L97 Swindon Lot No 440

Steve

Cheers,there were L numbers on the drawings so those should match hopefully. Not much use for modelling though unless someone is doing a model of the prototype drive system!

• RMweb Premium

Yes, all this writing about plates etc. is very interesting but I would like to know when the model is scheduled for release? Is it imminent i.e. are we likely to be able to pick one up at Warley say?

If Dave is still collecting research now then my guess is that might be cutting it too fine for Warley. They have to get the plates designed, approved, manufactured and then the finished locos shipped over in a matter of weeks. I gather that there have been some manufacturing strikes in China this year so factories may have a backlog to make up. While it would be nice if they are ready for Warley, surely it is better for Dapol to take a bit more time and make sure everything is right.

Personally I am still keeping my fingers crossed that it will go through the shrinking machine and come out in N gauge too. ;)

• 1 month later...