Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Premium

The kick plates below the doors should not be silver.

Geoff Endacott

Agreed but not an impossible fix. The logo is in the correct (unusual) place for this loco / livery and the blue is rather bluer than all the earlier versions.

Just a light “almost ex-works” weathering required when mine arrives, I reckon.

• RMweb Gold

The kick plates below the doors should not be silver.

Geoff Endacott

Depends which one your modelling...

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/1/Pre-TOPS-Locomotives/Type-2/North-British-Type-2-dieselhyd/i-CHsx8hM

And here, and green FYE too.

http://picssr.com/tags/wrdieselhydraulics/interesting/page3

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

There is no substitute for working from photographs of your chosen prototype.

Geoff Endacott

True..

Here’s D6327... bit inconclusive but the kick plate has a shine at the top.

http://trainsferriesbuses.co.uk/6327a.jpg

But there is a picture on colour rail that looks slightly more convincing.

on this model Dapol has done well, the blue looks very good, the yellow looks deep.

If one wants to find fault, the easy target is the lack of shed code on the front fairing.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

The NBL Type 2's have always been favourites of mine, there is something rather endearing about their hang dog looks. I thought Dapol did a pretty good job with these, although I didn't like the way they did the headcode boxes. Mine have been smooth and reliable runners.

I do hope that they revisit the decision not to do the revised front end versions (6334 onwards). I can't be alone in having all I want of the current version, in the various liveries released.

On a positive note I think that it is good that the numbering in this release matches the prototype accurately.

I am really disappointed as I hoped that the bluey/green colour of the first batch of locos would be corrected. This has been done for the small yellow panel locos but not the full yellow panel. Why on earth didn’t Dapol simply use the same blue paint for both!

Grrrrrr.

• RMweb Premium

I am really disappointed as I hoped that the bluey/green colour of the first batch of locos would be corrected. This has been done for the small yellow panel locos but not the full yellow panel. Why on earth didn’t Dapol simply use the same blue paint for both!

Grrrrrr.

They may have done. adb968008’s photos above show the new SYP version with the old FYE. What we have not seen is photos of the new FYE next to the old FYE which will give the definitive answer.

I believe so, Today’s arrival takes me to 5, they all work fine, oldest is about 5 years now.

Thank you. My two are all right but not quite up to the best latest standard – a little noisy and not quite as smooth as I should like. Nevertheless, I’m a little tempted. If nothing else, these hint that the colours of the 21s and 29s will be acceptable.

I believe so, Today’s arrival takes me to 5, they all work fine, oldest is about 5 years now.

Yes, I've taken delivery of my fifth this morning, D6322. Looks very nice, but who's idea was it to change the packaging ? Certainly on mine, whilst the loco is in the clear plastic clamshell, as per usual, the clamshell has been "wrapped" shut using a clingy tape wrapped the length, top and bottom, of the clamshell; it looks cheap, probably is cheap, doesn't protect as well and certainly wouldn't act as a collector if one or two small parts came adrift in transit (although as we all know Dapol seems to be nowhere near the worst for that particular occurrence...…), and quite frankly IMHO has no place on a locomotive with an RRP of £140+.

True..

Here’s D6327... bit inconclusive but the kick plate has a shine at the top.http://trainsferriesbuses.co.uk/6327a.jpg

But there is a picture on colour rail that looks slightly more convincing.

on this model Dapol has done well, the blue looks very good, the yellow looks deep.

If one wants to find fault, the easy target is the lack of shed code on the front fairing.

I see that trainsferriesbuses is still displaying my photo of 6327 at Bristol here is a larger res photo of it and others all without polished steel kickplates except of 6319 which had a full overhaul and repaint just before it was withdrawnpost-7300-0-60600900-1529783149_thumb.jpegpost-7300-0-74595900-1529783165_thumb.jpegpost-7300-0-09477000-1529783197.jpegpost-7300-0-19100400-1529783210_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 5

I see that trainsferriesbuses is still displaying my photo of 6327 at Bristol here is a larger res photo of it and others all without polished steel kickplates except of 6319 which had a full overhaul and repaint just before it was withdrawnattachicon.gif245D0431-2CE7-4B74-AA8B-F6B1A4FC554C.jpegattachicon.gif4A1669A7-195A-4109-8B2C-1653792806A1.jpegattachicon.gif4EEEE53A-921D-4BEE-B8D3-9A16F94A9E48.jpegattachicon.gifF9732F10-79B0-4210-A872-0F40F6135A88.jpeg

Brian have you got the photo of D6327 from the other side? I saw this on the back cover of Strathwood's Diesel Hydraulics in the West Country.

Also I have seen the new Blue FYE and Blue SYP together at Lord and Butler's model shop in Cardiff and they look the same shade of blue.

Don't forget to take the credit for your photo of 6327 which other seem to have just used. And can you confirm if it was Bristol Bath Road Open Day 1970 or 1971?

Tony

I took delivery of a Blue, small yellow panel yesterday. I can't comment on the colour but both the blue and yellow don't match with either my Hornby or Bachmann models. But I will accept that.

I'm surprised there haven't been any comments on the lighting control for these models, am I the only one who has noticed the significant alterations to the old model?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of weeks ago I bought the blue D6327.  I finally got around to running it and on DC there were no problems, the directional lights worked but I haven't bothered with the cab lights.  When a DCC decoder (V4 Loksound) was fitted the lights only worked in one direction, all else worked OK.  I replaced the decoder 2 more times with known working ones with the same result.  It seems odd the lights work on DC but not on DCC.  Has anyone else with the 22 experienced the same problem.

Mike