Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Premium

D6327 blue syp version has yet to be tested on power but the blue is bright, garish and still to my mind not right. It is however closer to Rail Blue than the earlier releases and after some weathering it should be ok.

D6327 could double-head with itself here under Rule 1 as Dapol previously released this number in green syp with headcode discs.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of weeks ago I bought the blue D6327.  I finally got around to running it and on DC there were no problems, the directional lights worked but I haven't bothered with the cab lights.  When a DCC decoder (V4 Loksound) was fitted the lights only worked in one direction, all else worked OK.  I replaced the decoder 2 more times with known working ones with the same result.  It seems odd the lights work on DC but not on DCC.  Has anyone else with the 22 experienced the same problem.

Mike

All sorted.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago I bought the blue D6327.  I finally got around to running it and on DC there were no problems, the directional lights worked but I haven't bothered with the cab lights.  When a DCC decoder (V4 Loksound) was fitted the lights only worked in one direction, all else worked OK.  I replaced the decoder 2 more times with known working ones with the same result.  It seems odd the lights work on DC but not on DCC.  Has anyone else with the 22 experienced the same problem.

Mike

All sorted.

Do tell, It might help others :yes:

Do tell, It might help others :yes:

Please advise as I can't get the lights working and it looks like becoming an ebay bargain soon.

Dapol have told me no changes have been made (or are un-aware that their factory have changed it) and nothing needs to be changed for the lights to work, but there are all kinds of seemingly after-thought switches inside the thing.

All in all very confusing and overly complex for an everyday feature that other manufacturers achieve with elegant simplicity.

• RMweb Gold

Please advise as I can't get the lights working and it looks like becoming an ebay bargain soon.

Dapol have told me no changes have been made (or are un-aware that their factory have changed it) and nothing needs to be changed for the lights to work, but there are all kinds of seemingly after-thought switches inside the thing.

All in all very confusing and overly complex for an everyday feature that other manufacturers achieve with elegant simplicity.

Check the instruction sheet.  Using DC I found there were no problems with the lights working directionally.  DCC operation is explained in the DCC instructions.  Using a 6 function decoder, if the cab lights are required, and a 4 function decoder for no cab lights.  Fitting your own decoder one needs to check the function mapping of said decoder and adjust to suit the AUX 1 and AUX 2 outputs to your respective F switch (Function).  I used F8 for the AUX 1 function on a LokSound V4 decoder.

I'm pleased with the model it looks good and runs well, but I can't find the cab light switches on the PCB.  My only niggle is with the buffer beam hook, a Hornby or Bachmann type would have been better.

HTH

Mike

I'm pleased with the model it looks good and runs well, but I can't find the cab light switches on the PCB.  My only niggle is with the buffer beam hook, a Hornby or Bachmann type would have been better.

Thanks for the help Mike. Odd, as mine definitely does have switches. An explanation maybe in the thread running on Dapols own forum (N gauge Castle) which suggests that PCB fitting is a rather hit and miss affair with them.

For completeness, I had phoned Dapol again earlier today and eventually spoke to a guy who told me empirically and forcefully that no changes have been made to the model. I got the impression he was receiving rather a lot of the same question.

• 3 weeks later...

A named class 22? 6320 named "Lister" in 1967 https://www.flickr.com/photos/68861278@N03/8364134873/in/pool-2174423@N23/ news to me and this is the only reference I've come across.

Another photo showing what appears to be a painted name https://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/5372469935/

It was an unofficial name due to the loco serving the Lister Petter engineering works.

Geoff Endacott

• Agree 1

Cheers, pure coincidence but I already models have models of 3 of the Dursley branch regular steamers, the class 22 was quite camera shy on the branch ,always hidding it's ID from view even in the few shots I found. D6321 arrived today so no excuse for not cracking on.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A chance sighting of 6320 at Dewsbury Midland! Cynics suggested the Jinty was doing the work, 47316 ex Bath Green Park so also along way from home!attachicon.gif20181008_194356-1.jpg

attachicon.gif20181008_194335-1.jpg

Are you sure it was the Jinty, looking at the state of them i’ve a mind it was the brake van doing it !

:-)

Nice weathering.

Seeing as the driver is in the back cab of the Class 22, I suspect the Jinty is being pushed into a scrap yard. :-) Unless as adb says, they're all being hauled by the brake van.

Edited by brushman47544

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2018 at 16:41, Geoff Endacott said:

It was an unofficial name due to the loco serving the Lister Petter engineering works.

Geoff Endacott

Yup just a sign normally applied to Lister products... 

phil

4 hours ago, class29returns said:

Few bargains at Rails on class 22's.Down to 80quid including bsyp and gfyp.be quick!

Done.

I went for green/headcode boxes/syp  in the end.  I gather only 6301 never got headcode boxes so a loco with them is going  to have the right "look"  on the layout.

First released at end of 2011 I think? How the time goes....

Edited by railroadbill

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Done.

I went for green/headcode boxes/syp  in the end.  I gather only 6301 never got headcode boxes so a loco with them is going  to have the right "look"  on the layout.

First released at end of 2011 I think? How the time goes....

The ones on offer are the most recent releases.. they only came out last year.

A bit surprised, but I’ve filled my boots with a couple, i’m not sure we’ll see that price again, and if they’ve not met expectation we might not see more for a while.. Dapol got some other interesting fish swimming towards us.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am trying to control my spending on model trains by only buying replicas of things I saw in real life. I was just too late to see Class 22 in action, so they were not on my wish list. However.......I did see some about to be scrapped at Swindon Works in October 1971, and as adb968008 says the price was too good to resist, so 6332 is en route !

34 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The ones on offer are the most recent releases.. they only came out last year.

A bit surprised, but I’ve filled my boots with a couple, i’m not sure we’ll see that price again, and if they’ve not met expectation we might not see more for a while.. Dapol got some other interesting fish swimming towards us.

Thanks for that, I'd missed that there had been a second recent release.  Even better then at that price.  They were expensive for a Bo-Bo model when they initially came out, I think. 

Got 4 63xx numbers written down in my Ian Allen early 60s spotters book (2 from the earlier batch) and it will fit in a running session with my maroon 52s and hymek so I can justify this purchase!

I think I'll join you guys. :fan:

Went for the green SYP HB version. Possibly to renumber to the one that should have survived, D6319.

If you are umming and ahing then I would move quickly as one has already gone (green disc version). Although Gaugemaster also have some for a little bit more. 

Jason

• Like 1

When were headcode boxes fitted to these? Is it possible to have a headcode box no yellow panel loco,?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

PS. Just found D6324 on Colour-rail site in green with 'boxes! Any other information welcome!

Edited by 45568
New information.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 45568 said:

When were headcode boxes fitted to these? Is it possible to have a headcode box no yellow panel loco,?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

PS. Just found D6324 on Colour-rail site in green with 'boxes! Any other information welcome!

The answer is not many!!!!

These may help

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2174423@N23/pool/page2

As Geoff says the Dapol model doesnt represent the ones he quotes...there was a suggestion a couple of years back that Dapol might tool up the later batch but that seems to have gone, thinking about buying one of the current batch to look at the practicality of changing the model ourself

The picture of D6324 on Colour-rail also shows that loco to have a decidedly non standard front end unlike the Dapol model - but its your model.....

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Phil. looking at the model picture on RoS site, and the pic. of D6324, what differences are there from the Dapol model? (I bow to your greater knowledge of things hydraulic!!!).

Cheers ,

Peter C.