Code 100 Concrete sleeper pointe

south

How widespread are these on the prototype now?

I first saw them in the early 2000's & that was in the station throat of Paddington, hardly a location which many of us have the space to model.

I have still only seen them on the primary main lines. Wooden bearers would still look right in most places you could model.

• RMweb Premium

They seem pretty common now, anything relaid on a main line in the last 15 years. London Bridge has concrete sleeper double crossovers and all sorts.

It's not like Peco do a huge range of prototypical pointwork so it's not something I'd get too hung up on. Could always paint some.

I suspect that the reason Peco don't do Code 100 concrete turnouts is because the market for Code 100 is generally those with older stock with larger flanges (pre-2000) and the train set market (who don't really care about track).  Since the widespread use of concrete bearers for crossings and turnouts on the real railway is reasonably recent (generally post-2000), Peco probably consider it unlikely that anyone modelling the post-privatisation era (where the model locos are unlikely to have deeper flanges) would choose Code 100 over Code 75.

Ultimately, Peco track work is not particularly prototypical, so I wouldn't get too hung up on mixing concrete sleeper flexi-track with timber point work.  Once it's been painted and weathered, it shouldn't be too obvious and any inaccuracy is no worse that the inaccuracy in using Peco points in the first place, with non-prototypical geometry and H0 sleeper / timber spacing.

Archived