Retro painting a Pacer- which one is most suitable? AW or FGW?

Derekstuart

Some time back it was written that out of the FGW and Arriva, one of them would lend itself better to retro-painting than the other. I can't remember if that was an official statement from Charlie or not, but I have a feeling it was the Arriva one.

Does anyone know, please? I have been 'inspired' following a conversation on a related subject, to buy a pair and have them professionally repainted into Provincial (yes I know the windows are glued in, the seats will be wrong and destroying the existing livery is akin to painting a 'tache on the Mona Lisa).

Sods law dictates whichever is most suitable will be one that is sold out/ impossible to find.

Thanks.

Thanks David, but I was referring to the Realtrack one not the Hornby one. Though I won't participate in the criticism of the H142 as it has potential if you have time and enthusiasm for a lot of work.

I would have thought you could get a provincial pacer easily enough on a well known auction site.

Edit: Sure enough. Two bodies for the livery you want ready and waiting, with 5 days to go. 

Thanks David, but I was referring to the Realtrack one not the Hornby one. Though I won't participate in the criticism of the H142 as it has potential if you have time and enthusiasm for a lot of work.

Yeah but Id hold out hope someones planning on a new 142 somewhere.... 

Noticed the thread title after posting and checking. Both Arriva and First will need the yellow masking and doing again. the Northern might be easier as its more akin to provincial. 

Yes, possible (though hasn't it been denied?) but no telling what livery it will be in if and when released.

The whole thing will need painting anyway, but there are some slight differences to the chassis- I can't recall what the difference is though.

Thanks again though.

Yeah but Id hold out hope someones planning on a new 142 somewhere.... 

Noticed the thread title after posting and checking. Both Arriva and First will need the yellow masking and doing again. the Northern might be easier as its more akin to provincial. 

Yes, possible (though hasn't it been denied?) but no telling what livery it will be in if and when released.

The whole thing will need painting anyway, but there are some slight differences to the chassis- I can't recall what the difference is though.

Thanks again though.

If anyone did do a 142 it would probably in modern liveries to start with.   Charlie

Charlie, just the man.

Pray tell which 143 lends itself best to retro-painting- and do you you still have that version as I intend to buy one or two at Peterborough if you have them.

I don't know where/how this thread evolved into talk about whether or not you are producing a 142 as you have already indicated a definite maybe not going to tell us either way.

Thanks

If anyone did do a 142 it would probably in modern liveries to start with.   Charlie

Charlie, just the man.

Pray tell which 143 lends itself best to retro-painting- and do you you still have that version as I intend to buy one or two at Peterborough if you have them.

I don't know where/how this thread evolved into talk about whether or not you are producing a 142 as you have already indicated a definite maybe not going to tell us either way.

Thanks

Class 143s have basically run out apart from the spares we have to keep for warranty work.  WHAT are you trying to build.   Charlie

A BR era 143/144- beyond my painting skills, but there are some pretty good refinishers out there.

Never mind- I'm sure there's enough demand that one day you might be tempted into re-releasing a new batch. I shall certainly be quicker with your new DMU model. Remind me again what it was.... ;)

Class 143s have basically run out apart from the spares we have to keep for warranty work.  WHAT are you trying to build.   Charlie

• 1 month later...

A BR era 143/144- beyond my painting skills, but there are some pretty good refinishers out there.

Never mind- I'm sure there's enough demand that one day you might be tempted into re-releasing a new batch. I shall certainly be quicker with your new DMU model. Remind me again what it was.... ;)

The 144 is best:

post-3411-0-15492000-1478130158_thumb.jpg

Archived