Pig Lane BR Western Region

Clive Mortimore

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Pig Lane is appearing the Solihull exhibition on Saturday 9th November. If you do attend say "Hi" to me and Bungus the Fogeyman aka Dave. 

St Mary's House, Hobs Meadow
Solihull B92 8PN

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Enjoy the day, it’s too far for me to come unfortunately.  Hopefully you’ll still be on the circuit (occasionally) when I’m closer.  If I go anywhere on Saturday it will be the Newcastle exhibition.

Paul

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Well, a good day playing on Clives train set. One or two gremlins but nothing that a few well-placed obscenities couldn't cure! Thanks mate.

Disgusting of Market Harborough 

Big thank you to you Dave. I enjoyed today, nice small show. Well worth the journey in the fog from Louth to Coventry in the morning and heavy rain from Solihull to Newark on the way back.

Layouts are like children ( or old folk) well behaved at home but like to show you up when out and about.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

will you be wearing a kilt ?

I’m hoping to get there too.  More difficult than last time, but that’s my fault for moving. 
I definitely won’t be wearing a kilt - it can get a bit windy down by the SEC. 
Paul. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bgman said:

Hopefully it will go ahead safely Clive.

One small matter though.........will you be wearing a kilt ? Humph ! 

AH! The traditional man's man Scottish skirt, designed by an Englishman.

"A letter written by Ivan Baillie in 1768 and published in the Edinburgh Magazine in March 1785 states that the garment people would recognize as a kilt today was invented in the 1720s by Thomas Rawlinson, a Quaker from Lancashire. After the Jacobite campaign of 1715, the government opened the Highlands to outside exploitation, and Rawlinson went into partnership with Ian MacDonnell, chief of the MacDonnells of Glengarry to manufacture charcoal from the forests near Inverness and smelt iron ore there. The belted plaid worn by the Highlanders he employed was too "cumbrous and unwieldy" for this work, so, together with the tailor of the regiment stationed at Inverness, Rawlinson produced a kilt which consisted of the lower half of the belted plaid worn as a "distinct garment with pleats already sewn". He wore it himself, as did his business partner, whose clansmen then followed suit."

In answer to your question I will not be wearing said garment as members of the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (which I served in) were not entitled to wear a kilt when attached to a highland infantry regiment. In some regiments the REME would wear the TOS (tam o' shanter) or Glengarry, in others the regimental tartan behind their cap badge on their beret. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sf315 said:

Go on Clive 

treat the fans you and Paul could both wear kilts. 

Will we be taking our lead from you?

And that’s not a promise to follow!

Paul. 

• Funny 1

4 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Will we be taking our lead from you?

And that’s not a promise to follow!

Paul. 

Standing behind a Man in a Kilt after a Tin of Beans and 4 Pints of Larger?

Brave, Foolish, or Covid and no sense of smell.?:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

"Let the winds  blow high, let the winds blow low,

Off to Glasgow in his kilt he'll go,

All the lasses shout Give Us A Show !

Morty where's yer troosers ? "

(with apologies to Andy Stewart :rolleyes:)

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

"Let the winds  blow high, let the winds blow low,

Off to Glasgow in his kilt he'll go,

All the lasses shout Give Us A Show !

Morty where's yer troosers ? "

(with apologies to Andy Stewart :rolleyes:)

Are you sure Andy Stewart shouldn't be apologising to us for that song?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yes I agree. We’ll stick on the list of apologies demanded, along with an apology from Hornby for their 2022 price list:closedeyes::rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Glasgow was an enjoyable weekend. Sorry no photos by me. I forgot to take my phone charger so to save battery in case there was a problem on the return trip I didn't use it. Came home with a new Bachy class 47, it is a very very nice model. Four Triang Mk2 coaches, the bloke selling was reluctant to sell me all four as one had a missing coupling hook. The disbelief on his face when I said I was going to be cutting out all the windows and making them into a (Please guess the class of EMU to get your "Clever little toad award"). Some Bachmann motors drive shafts and class 40 bogies for my nearly started class 40 conversions form Tri-ang class 37s.

I am giving up model making, now Heljan are making the one scratchbuilt main line diesel loco that had not been copied by them or any other manufacturers. And I told them so. Thankfully they are doing 10800 in its early state and my model is after it was rebuilt as Hawk. I also told KR models off for making GT3, Accurascale for not doing the class 31 in green with small yellas and Cavalex for wasting their time on putting the underside detail on their MGR hoppers as good modellers don't make train sets where the stock falls off to show the under frame detail.

The layout performed very well, only one point push rod needed repair. Stock done well except the Lima bubble car. Not too many operator errors.

A BIG THANK YOU to Paul (Lyddrail) for his help and company this weekend.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 12
  • Funny 5