Thief at EM North

Chris, its so crap to hear about this. The want their chopping off.

I'll be sure to inform everyone at Shipley club & everyone else I know about whats happened. My dad goes to a lot of swap meets, mainly ones in the Manchester/Bolton & North West area so i'll be sure to ask him to keep a close eye out for your 'Coffee Pot' & the 'Flat Iron'.

Fingers crossed someone somewhere will come across it, theres no mistaking it.

Regards 

Chris

The theft was reported to the Police immediately I heard of it.

The Police have issued me with an Incident Number and I am currently awaiting their paperwork.

I doubt very much if this was a chance event, there is a very greedy sad individual(s) concerned in this theft from somewhere within the Model Railway world. Such people are driven by greed and obsession. If this individual(s) is (hopefully) caught it may come as big surprise to many local people as to who the culprit(s) is.

I have known of individuals who will stop at nothing to get what they want and will take great pleasure from the "thrill" of stealing anything for their "collection". I would be very surprised if these items are ever seen for sale. The fact that previous items are still not found makes it sound like a serial thief or thieves.

Details added to the LNER Modelling site on Facebook. Fingers crossed for a result.

Perhaps a post could be drawn up, with pictures of all the recently stolen items and then emailed/posted to all model shops that deal in second hand and also to show organisers who host a bring-and-buy stand? kinda like a wanted poster, but for models.

Personally I think they were probably stolen to order, theft has also happened at some of the 7mm events and we are talking large boxes here not the sort of size you can just put in your pocket.

I was at the Bristol show 2 yrs ago when someone was actually caught in the act and handed over to the police after a scuffle! There was a lot of speculation on the O gauge guild at the time, mainly if the thief turned out to be a member he would be banned for life from the guild. But then nothing ! No updates, so for all I know he might of got off with a slapped wrist, who knows !

Martyn.

So is it three locos stolen this weekend at expo?

Two on Sunday (one from High Level Kits (P4) and another in EM). There have in the past been reported thefts from Manchester shows is what other posters have commented, suggesting the possibility of the same person(s) responsible stealing to order or regularly.

So just to confirm. The was only two items stolen at the weekend?

As reported in an earlier post and countered by Derek, there was no "Cotswold kit for an L&Y saddle tank" stolen from the trade stand or anywhere else within the show at the weekend?

Thanks.

Derek.

Et all.

I have just spoken to Roger. Apparently my loco was sold on Saturday! and was not marked on any paperwork. the money is being forwarded on.

Its still a real bummer that the other two people are still missing a vital part of their displays. There is a sick individual out there.

Dave,

I would carefully consider what you write on a public forum in future If I were you.

Every Item that was on the Members Sales Stand and on the listings presented to the staff HAS been accounted for either by return to the owner (ie not sold) or the owner paid the agreed amount.

We are having enough problems resolving these thefts after the event without people (such as your self) spreading malicious rumours

Derek Evans

expoEM North 2016 Exhibition Manager

Derek.

As of close of play either Saturday or yesterday my cotswold L&Y saddle tank was missing presumed stollen as it could not be accounted for on the paperwork when we left the show. Even this morning when Dave made his comments which were valid at the time it was still missing.

It is only now at 20:40 I have found out it was sold but not accounted for.

So please Dave was in his rights to post that as that's as much information as we knew at the time.

Dave,

I would carefully consider what you write on a public forum in future If I were you.

Every Item that was on the Members Sales Stand and on the listings presented to the staff HAS been accounted for either by return to the owner (ie not sold) or the owner paid the agreed amount.

We are having enough problems resolving these thefts after the event without people (such as your self) spreading malicious rumours

Derek Evans

Just to make it a 100% clear. I have just spoken with The emgs secretary and a admin error on the behalf of the Saturday sales team led to my loco being sold and not accounted for on any paperwork.

So it leaves the two locos downstairs stolen.

I hope this clears any misconception up that any persons may have.

Dave,

We are having enough problems resolving these thefts after the event without people (such as your self)  spreading malicious rumours

Derek Evans

For your information I was passing on the information as it was given by my friend in the hope that it yield additional useful evidence.

You might want to consider that the information was offered in good faith before you start waving veiled threats around.

By the way, perhaps the open fire door at the back of the hall could have been a contributory factor...

D.

Derek.

As of close of play either Saturday or yesterday my cotswold L&Y saddle tank was missing presumed stollen as it could not be accounted for on the paperwork when we left the show. Even this morning when Dave made his comments which were valid at the time it was still missing.

It is only now at 20:40 I have found out it was sold but not accounted for.

So please Dave was in his rights to post that as that's as much information as we knew at the time.

If you and Dave had remembered the conversation you had with Roger you would remember that he explained it was impossible  to check all the sheets and the balance at the time and when he got the final figures together he would contact you. In view of the fact that he was in Manchester on Sunday evening when we closed and then had to drive to South London. Today he then checked ALL the sales sheets against the cash balance and has subsuquently contacted you for your address to frorward your money.  I think a little more patience before sending the original post would have been more appropriate.

Very sorry to here about this and i do hope you get both models back and in good shape, A few years ago i was told at a show two chaps where working together stealing loco off trade stands.

They where taking in turn to wonder around the trade stands and taking stock, while the other one waited in the cafe area with a bag, would not have looked out of place sitting there and putting a loco into a bag.

They must have been doing this for a number of hours as they both got court leaving the show, as one of them had been spotted just before they left lifting another loco and had been reported to the chaps on the door, they had managed to lift over 15 locos.

This go's on at show and it's not just locos that get taken .I have noticed that more stands are adding CCTV to try and deter this sort of thing  going on.

I really hope they are recovered.

Darren

Looks like its time to bolt them down chaps, there honestly is nothing worse than a thief, we had one in our club who got caught red handed, was immediately ejected from the the event and then the club despite protests of innocent mistake after admitting infront of 6 witnesses his "mistake" no second chances given, he was lucky the trader declined to press charges. it really is the worst. I hate them

If I find out who did it I would personally chop their hands off Saudi style.

I will be keeping a good eye out for them though

I wonder if there pop up at scaleforum bring n buy...

regards

trev

So just to confirm. The was only two items stolen at the weekend?

As reported in an earlier post and countered by Derek, there was no "Cotswold kit for an L&Y saddle tank" stolen from the trade stand or anywhere else within the show at the weekend?

Thanks.

Dave,

We are having enough problems resolving these thefts after the event without people (such as your self)  spreading malicious rumours

Derek Evans

Speaking as someone who spent most of last weekend on the Members Sales stand it was absolutely mental for the first hour after opening and we had people two deep waiting to be served, despite there being six of us there including myself. It is unfortunate that this has happened but with the volume of models being sold in such a short space of time and the natural instinct of the thrifty finescale modeller to bag a bargain we still have to follow a set procedure to ensure that these models and monies received are fully accounted for, especially when dealing with a large number of models that are being purchased, such as the 32 wagons this year or the 58 items purchased by two EMGS members in 2014, not to mention the large amounts of cash involved and the high value items in our temporary care.  

I wonder if there pop up at scaleforum bring n buy...

regards

trev

The same details as on this thread have been posted on the scalefour society forum, so members there (and of course the show manager) will have seen it, so hopefully it will be spotted quite quickly if someone is daft enough to try.

This sort of thing is bad news to the hobby and to honest modelers. Unfortunately the police will only log the theft and give it a crime number, but they have not got the manpower to devote time in investigating this event or going through video.

I had a model stolen two years ago, a Finney 7mm scale "Bulldog" (unpainted). The police were given photos of the loco and the possible local outlets it could turn up at, I have not heard a "Dickie bird" from them since. Not seen it on e-bay so it would seem the thief had a customer for it or wanted it for themselves.

Sorry to be the voice of doom, but you have more chance of finding "rocking horse droppings" than seeing these models again.

As a suggestion to modelers and traders. Some years ago I used to demonstrate at shows and had a small display stand with some models on. Down the centre of each track I ran a copper wire which was fed over the top of the axles of the vehicles. The ends of the wire was fed down round the back of the display stand and secured. On the stand was a notice that said "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH. THESE MODELS ARE ALARMED". The lettering was red on a yellow background and it seamed to have worked as I never lost a model to theft.

Loconuts

....I had a model stolen two years ago, a Finney 7mm scale "Bulldog" (unpainted). The police were given photos of the loco and the possible local outlets it could turn up at, I have not heard a "Dickie bird" from them since. Not seen it on e-bay so it would seem the thief had a customer for it or wanted it for themselves....

Might well have gone to one of the professional painters for a paint job. Wonder how many 7mm Finney Bulldogs have passed through painters' hands in the last two years?

Archived