Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Hi Grahame, just a thought how about making a conical mould from waxed card and filling it with polyfilla, All the best Adrian.

A possibility, and even casting in resin (which I've done in the past) rather than polyfila. I could even use a slightly larger funnel as the mould for casting. So many options now. 

But while I wait for the funnels I ordered I've cut the roof tent coverings from card. The ones that overlap the towers are not glued in place to allow for trimming them to accommodate the turret conical roofs. The dark marks on the card is where I have soaked/smeared superglue in to strengthen it. The flat surfaces will be covered with Redutex tiled adhesive sheets so having the card parts removable will be useful as a template for cutting the Redutex to fit:

post-33-0-85385500-1520854742_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6

The funnels arrived this morning. Unfortunately they're probably a little too small (and I couldn't find any slightly bigger):

post-33-0-48627800-1521112206_thumb.jpg

So I razor sawed off the spouts and trimmed away the lips and handles. Then I cut circles of 0.25mm thick plasticard and wrapped it around them to make them a little bigger/longer and cover the missing tops where the spouts were. Sounds easy but in reality it was quite a struggle as the plasticard, despite being thin, wouldn't sit flat against the funnel - it seemed to buckle up and flare out (instead of neatly butting up at the seam) and even caused the centre (top) to split and tear. Getting it in place involved copious hacking, glue, filler, swearing, painting, cursing, refiling, more glue, bashing and even cutting my finger which added blood to the mix . . . . .

In the end I managed to produce two roughly conical roofs that look similar and are approximately the same size. I don't think I'll bother trying to add tile effect relief - paint will be fine:

post-33-0-84111200-1521112530_thumb.jpg

Next to trim the flat roof sections to fit against the conical roofs. Ahhhhhh.

G.

• Like 7

A bit of cutting, a lot of superglue and plenty of cussing and the flat roof sections are on - with the front parts covered with the last of my Redutex tile supplies. The slight gaps will get covered with ridge tiles and flashing. I had to add the top floor tower windows as they can't be reached from the bottom before gluing the conical roofs on. I just hope they don't get ruined when I get some paint, weathering and varnish on the brickwork:

post-33-0-92344200-1521123429_thumb.jpg

And surprisingly it's starting to look like Aston Webb House.

G.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

This is a very interesting thread and, although I haven't read every post yet, there are some good ideas which I can learn from.

I build my models to two scales:  aircraft to 1:144 scale and ships to 1:350 scale.  One of my projects for the aircraft is an airport terminal and I've been plodding with this, on and off, for a while now.

The building is the terminal at Elmdon Airport

z90WWNU.jpg

The facade is shaping up nicely

wWlwY0i.jpg

Quite a few windows!

36iiJ7H.jpg

The middle deck area still needs to have the 'wing' shelters constructed; plus the another gallery deck to be added above the restuarant on the right.

ilBxz9O.jpg

It is a bit amateurish compared to some I've seen on this thread but I'm enjoying myself.

Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 9

It is a bit amateurish compared to some I've seen on this thread but I'm enjoying myself.

Not really. It looks neat and tidy, and representative of the real building.

The thing with what appear to be complex buildings is to break them down in to simple standard geometric shapes that can be made individually and then brought together. Then colour and finish will help complete it as one structure.

G.

• Like 2

The next, and probably last main constructional stage before painting and glazing, are the two stripy tall chimney stacks, one on the side of each turret roof.

post-33-0-75129900-1521133866.jpg

Below is just a very rough mock up from folded card as to where they go (for one side).The main consideration is how to fix them in place - do I make them shaped to fit and attach to the conical roof (probably very tricky) or do I cut holes in the roof for them to sit in (also tricky). I'll make them first and then decide:

post-33-0-28036900-1521133632_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6

I was looking back at your first photograph of the whole building to check those chimneys - in reality, they look odd and blocky, but I think it is because they are quite a contrast to the round towers with their conical roofs, which have a certain elegance!

Edited by Marly51

I was looking back at your first photograph of the whole building to check those chimneys - in reality, they look odd and blocky, but I think it is because they are quite a contrast to the round towers with their conical roofs, which have a certain elegance!

Yep, they are quite a statement, and being decorated with contrasting stripes makes them stand out. In addition there is another statement chimney stack in the centre at the back of the pitched roof which is quite difficult to see from pics of the front taken at ground level. This photo is taken from behind it (in a sort of courtyard) looking forward - you can just see the top of the conical roofs and the stripy stacks at the edges of the pic:

post-33-0-23056400-1521139742_thumb.jpg

I was planning on adding this as simple painted card cut out as that is the extent of the low relief width.

G. 

• Like 5

The tall chimney stacks are now made and primed. I'll paint the stripes on, so they have not been added as wrap arounds which would add unnecessary relief. In N/2mm these are still quite small (around 30mm tall) so this pic is quite a cruel enlargement. Each includes 12 bits of cut card and styrene:

post-33-0-68171800-1521186096_thumb.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was was wondering where I had seen stripey chimneys before and seemed to remember some London County Council Estates had them. I had a look around online and came across this example which also has round corner towers, albeit without the conical caps..

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-boundary-street-estate-london-england-4960219.html

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

I was was wondering where I had seen stripey chimneys before and seemed to remember some London County Council Estates had them. I had a look around online and came across this example which also has round corner towers, albeit without the conical caps..

That's a striking (and stripey) building. It'd make an impressive model. The stripes are repeated on the towers and walls. I do wonder about the door in the central gable end - it seems to lead to over the edge of a small roof without railings.

I have seen other examples of tall stripey stacks - just it tends to be from trains on South London viaducts.

G

• RMweb Premium

The main consideration is how to fix them in place - do I make them shaped to fit and attach to the conical roof (probably very tricky) or do I cut holes in the roof for them to sit in (also tricky). I'll make them first and then decide:

You've probably already decided how you are going to do this, but I would say that cutting the cones to fit the chimney stacks is a much easier option. Cutting off material a bit at a time and finishing with a sanding block, assuming you haven't yet fixed the 'cones' in place?

David

PS Cutting the roof to fit the cones was much trickier, surely!?  :yes:

Edited by Kylestrome

Yep, I've cut the cones to accommodate the stacks. And here they are, not glued but just resting in place to allow some fettling to ensure they are fitted absolutely vertical and upright. There's nothing worse than wonky chimney stacks and god knows I've already got enough of them:

post-33-0-80051800-1521189083_thumb.jpg

But that's enough modelling for this morning now - as soon as I've finished this pot of tea I'm going to have a bath (sounds like I'm on the Golgafrincham's B ark).

G.

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

I've now got some basic blocks of colour on including the stripes which were done freehand. There's still details to be picked out. I'm currently umming and ahhing about whether to add the red bricks around the windows by painting. I've a feeling it might be a little too garish but then much will probably be covered by weathering. Being at the back of the layout and not trying to be an exact replica it doesn't matter too much (so long as it captures the overall look of the actual building) :

post-33-0-47044100-1521223090_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 13

And now with the final few windows in place. A little tricky and only just reachable with one finger inside the tower (I had checked) with the pre-glued window carefully balanced on the finger to press in to place:

post-33-0-17032400-1521322299_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 10

And now with the final few windows in place. A little tricky and only just reachable with one finger inside the tower (I had checked) with the pre-glued window carefully balanced on the finger to press in to place:

attachicon.gifDSC_4986.JPG

G.

Very effect.

The colours look exactly right..

I thought for the next construction project I'd attempt a building site (probably a bomb site clearance) diorama. It did exist in real life in Tooley Street and appears to have been left derelict up until the 70s, although I've not been able to find any decent reference photos. Nonetheless it should be easy enough to find pics of other similar sites to get inspiration and details from. To get started I've cut a base from mount board that includes the street corner pavement and the back garden from the property next door (that I've already made the basic shell for) :

post-33-0-09095200-1522058851_thumb.jpg

Next to undertake some research.

G

• Like 14

It's quite therapeutic cutting little bits of plasticard and cardboard and sticking them in place. Being near the back of the layout and behind other buildings there is less need for high levels of detail and the surfaces facing away towards the back-scene don't need excessive details added and fancy paintwork.

post-33-0-04452500-1522070041_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 7

I've knocked up some rough old site fencing from Redutex corrugated rusted sheet and styrene strip this afternoon, but I'm not sure about it - so it's not glued in place:

post-33-0-52262200-1522081093_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 10

I've got some basic ground cover and colour on now, so the next step will be making and adding piles of bricks, rubble and planks/beams of wood plus all the other fun to model details:

post-33-0-72765200-1522142509_thumb.jpg

It's certainly a lot different to making complete buildings but does at least take the place of one. And should make it easier to see the buildings on the other side of the main street.

G.

• Like 8