Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

I've just completed a successful quick trip to the local Hobbycraft to purchase a couple of A1 sized sheets of mountboard. In total it's the equivalent of sixteen A4 sheets of card - should be more than sufficient to make quite a few model buildings of Telephone House size :

DSC_9144.JPG.e6260385fe81e4a86efb23eb5a2c7600.JPG

• Like 4

I've set out the nearby model buildings I've already made to ascertain the size required and have started to sketch up some rough plans to work to. It's quite a tall, long, thin building but I want it looking correct. It, like all my other buildings, won't be drop dead accurate scale-wise or even detail-wise but the aim is to capture the character, look and atmosphere of the original. There are always compromises and compression when trying to make and fit things in a restricted space:

DSC_9145.JPG.794fec9c355210e13ef9ec7560aa5ea6.JPG

• Like 2

I've started on some construction, although I've not fully decided on some aspects. First was to cut one A1 sheet in to four more manageable A3 portions. Then from one I've cut four floors (one will be the roof level) and two ends, which other buildings will butt up against. It's important to get these cut accurately and exactly the same size as they will form the internal carcass and any slight discrepancy between them will make hanging the walls flat and level tricky :

DSC_9147.JPG.c87659803ec0473374152061021d4773.JPG

• Like 2

This morning I've glued floor supports to pre-marked positions on the insides of the end walls. And then the floors in place checking things were straight and flush. I've added a longitudinal view blocker on the top level to prevent seeing in from one side and directly out the other side. And, viola, one Telephone House carcass (and now for a nice cup of tea) :

DSC_9149.JPG.58879d0e73536d9b1e15dfd75aeae2af.JPG

I'll probably add some more strengthening fillets and internal walls although currently it's quite robust despite looking a little like a self-standing bookcase. There's plenty more to add, such as the roof tents and roof extension which I'll make as separate sub-assemblies before bringing it together. Then it's making and adding the walls (not yet decided on their finish) and adding details (downpipes, chimneys, etc).

I won't be rushing the build as I've plenty of other things to be getting on with as well as other modelling projects.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, grahame said:

I've just completed a successful quick trip to the local Hobbycraft to purchase a couple of A1 sized sheets of mountboard. In total it's the equivalent of sixteen A4 sheets of card - should be more than sufficient to make quite a few model buildings of Telephone House size :

DSC_9144.JPG.e6260385fe81e4a86efb23eb5a2c7600.JPG

Or have you just decided to go 'O' gauge instead?!

I've made a start on the roof tent sub assembly. It will be covered in Redutex tiling and when the ridge tiles are added should smarten and tidy it up.

DSC_9151.JPG.2916dadd36a4b7587f46e40fd01f5760.JPG

I'm assuming the roof extension block (that will go partly in the cut out area, is some sort of lift winding house (perhaps retro-fitted) or access to the roof. There is also a small flat roof section and some, what look like, chimney stacks - these details will add interest to the model.

• Like 6

A little bit of work on the roof sub-assembly. Here it's sitting in place - not glued or fixed down - although I've given it a dusting of grey primer. I'll finish it as a separate part and then assemble it with the other sections when completed. It helps make it easier and more straightforward for detailing and painting.

DSC_9156.JPG.284dc2776f567e3b0f7936ef662cb6e4.JPG

• Like 7

I've checked out progress by adding a temporary bit of gash cream card and things appear to be progressing well. The card is only rough and ready (and wasn't big enough but gives an idea) while I decide what to use - quite possibly brick embossed plasticard - for the walls. I need to sort out window spacing.

DSC_9158.JPG.c41062412f3b982b27772cbe5e6a5668.JPG

• Like 8

The more I look at the deep recess towards the right end the more it looks very odd. I wonder if it is war damage - the area was heavily bombed by the Germans in WW2 - that was patched up/temporarily repaired like that and not properly infilled until very much later.  

There's also a set of outside iron fire escape stairs down from the top floor (that appear to be roughly clad/enclosed in the later pic) at the left hand end. They will probably prove tricky to replicate unless I can find a suitable etch or kit. GMM do an etched one and RJ Laser and laser cut one but both are very American in style and would probably need to be ordered from America. And then storey height might be a problem. It might be best to try and scratch-built one from styrene girders and Plastruct steps (although I find them quite chunky).

I seem to be spending more time thinking through the issues than actually modelling.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

No modelling this morning - although plenty of thought - but this afternoon I've started to cut brick embossed plasticard for the walls and cut out the windows. With the number of windows I've decided not to have any on the recess return walls (it'd be fairly difficult to see them and it will hopefully help keep my sanity). It was never going to be a drop-dead accurate representation so I'm happy to make things easier through a little simplification as well as necessary compressed to fit.

DSC_9160.JPG.09f3dc335a01fdebda31aa2048dee509.JPG

The plasticard is only resting in place (not glued) and needs trimming to size, plus, of course, there's still the two right hand end sections to cut. Also before they can be fixed they need detailing (sills, lintels, downpipes, etc), then painting and glazing.

• Like 7

Slowly cutting and making parts, like a kit to be assembled later, when they have been detailed and painted. Here they are taped (the yellow stuff) temporarily and roughly in position. However, being the back of the building (despite the side facing forward on the layout) there is little interesting architectural details and merit - it's all a bit functional and basic. But, hopefully, I'll be able to give it a grubby and work-a-day realistic look (once it's detailed and painted) :

DSC_9163.JPG.ffbfbbbc3414c08ba27f6a0bb7b690b6.JPG

• Like 6

Phew, finally finished cutting out over 70 windows. Next, the tiresome task of cutting a similar number of lintels and sills and then gluing them in place. And then there's the doors to make. Think I'll leave all that to another day.

DSC_9166.JPG.15c77151a37e90d1167ad059c43ccdec.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, VanBasten said:

You'ra cutting machine 

Perhaps more of a cut myself machine. I was careful with the knife cutting out the windows with no nicks or cuts, but I managed to drop the roof assembly and as I grabbed and caught it on the way to the floor a corner gashed my thumb and palm. Then I managed to get blood on the model. Luckily before it gets painted.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

74 window sills cut and glued in place. Next for 74 lintels to be cut and fitted, and then it'll have to all be done again for the other side (when I get around to it). But first I'll have another nice refreshing cuppa.

DSC_9167.JPG.e63b206840dcc8b519ed8a6d110e9d15.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

While sitting down supping a cuppa I've been flicking though photos (on my tablet) and thinking about what colour to paint the brickwork. I'll need to visit the local Halfords for a suitable aerosol but which colour.

The close up modern pics show a very much more creamy yellow hue while the older aerial shots (from the right period) tend to look more grey beige (although, of course, aeriel shots tend to mute colours due to atmospheric distortion over distance). I prefer the more grey beige colour (perhaps it hints more of the era) but what sort of car would be painted that colour. Maybe some sort of older Italian or French model with their wishy washy colours? But no doubt it can wait until I actually get to the shop - maybe later today.

Possibly.

I'll have to go and have a look. Fortunately the local Halfords tends to display its car paints grouped by colour type. I'll just browse those that catch my eye. But that'll probably be this afternoon.

The shopping is done and a can of Peugeot Panama beige has been purchased. It seemed the darkest (from the cap sample bands) but I would have preferred darker and greyer. Hopefully a grey undercoat and some weathering can get it closer.

With all the sills on and around half of the lintels in place I'm nearly at the stage for some basic colour to be added. I like to get the main brick colour on before making, painting and adding other details like hopper-heads, down-pipes, vents, chimneys, etc.

• Like 2

All the lintels are on (a task nearly on a par with ballasting), everything has been undercoated with grey primer and the first top coat of the beige applied. And damn, it's even lighter and whiter than the cap colour sample. Perhaps it had yellowed with age! 

Well it's gonna be a challenge to make it look darker, greyer and more a creamy fawny beige.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The colour seems like a very light grey stone colour. However, I'm not going to change it now and will have to do what I can to get it closer to what it should be.

DSC_9171.JPG.035625b3dccb448bb834e1c777f24ef0.JPG

Next I'll tackle getting some Redutex on the pitched roof. I've checked my stash and I do have sufficient square slate tiles roofing although the colour is termed a 'uneven light grey'. It's a little too piebald for me so I need to make it more consistent - I'll use a dusting of grey primer on it. Redutex coverings are great as they have good textured relief and being self-adhesive and flexible are easy to apply. Their drawback is that they are rather expensive.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Redutex tiling painted and fitted - all except the far end (in the pic below) as there just wasn't enough in the open/used pack I had. I'll have to break open the other complete new pack I have but that will mean firstly painting some of it. Then ridge tiles need to be made and added to tidy things up. Overall I'm quite pleased with the roof as a separate sub-assembly but that'll do for today :

DSC_9172rocr.jpg.1d820819f7592e08ceda7adf45aeedb9.jpg

• Like 8