Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Dinner made and eaten, and some progress on the building this evening. I certainly won't get bored with this hobby if there is an enforced lock-down forcing people to stay at home (not that I'm currently going out without good reason).

I've effectively painted and dirtied the walls, fitted the windows and glued them in place. This is very straightforward and simple with few details as, as can be seen from the pic below, it is hemmed in and overlooked by other buildings making viewing, hopefully, difficult. However, I will need to add a top edge fascia and guttering as these are high up and will help finish the roof area. I also need to paint the small roof a darker grey, make and add downpipes and soil/vent pipes (and perhaps some chimney stacks as they seem to be missing).

DSC_9202.JPG.0597b59c112822860e5b65b0edd49fce.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Roof sorted, fascias and doors added. And the grey walls given a dirty muddy brown colour. Next to make and add gutters, downpipes and soil/vents. I'm in two minds about the chimney stacks. But first I'll finish this nice pot of tea and then have a bath.

DSC_9203.JPG.916c78663eb114a39b02e3a0f4e7d8b7.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Gutters (although it looks like the lower one needs re-fitting), down pipe and vent soil pipes made, painted and fitted. And I've made one chimney stack (from the pics of the real building it looks - but is not certain - that there should be two stacks at each end) although it will mean I need to make another for the other end (between the roofs in the valley). And, of course, pots need to be added.:

DSC_9207.JPG.92b32f7c1966381f341d2446d0c08065.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Yes, it is surprising how simple details such as those help lift a building from being very basic and toy-like to becoming a more realistic detailed model. It is certainly worthwhile adding them to kits, like Metcalf ones, that don't include them as standard.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, grahame said:

Gutters (although it looks like the lower one needs re-fitting), down pipe and vent soil pipes made, painted and fitted. And I've made one chimney stack (from the pics of the real building it looks - but is not certain - that there should be two stacks at each end) although it will mean I need to make another for the other end (between the roofs in the valley). And, of course, pots need to be added.:

DSC_9207.JPG.92b32f7c1966381f341d2446d0c08065.JPG

Superb. How are you making gutters and downpipes?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 37403 said:

How are you making gutters and downpipes?

Gutters are half round styrene strip. Rain down-pipes are wire superglued to small rectangles of plasticard cut from styrene strip.

• Informative/Useful 3

Nothing doing this morning but in the last hour two stacks completed and pots added  (well, bits of plastic rod). The stacks are card covered with brick embossed plasticard. They push in to appropriately sized holes cut in the pitch roof which holds them snuggly. :

DSC_9212.JPG.7be68e9e0b3c1a037e837c93e4497f39.JPG

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've just got the Budgens shop front and fittings to finish on that building now, although I'll leave that until I tackle some other shop fronts on other buildings that need doing.

DSC_2776cr.jpg.fd2a84fbdf774eb7b9414683161ddc18.jpg

Time to select another building to fiddle with that is only partially complete and/or needs some more major work undertaking. Or maybe the bridge over Joiner Street where it goes under the forecourt between Fielden House and Southwark Towers along with the entrance to ST. So much to choose from and so much to do. And now with 'social distancing' so much more time. I just need to get some milk and bog rolls tomorrow morning - I'm rather short of both and a quick visit to the local Co-op today found all the shelves stripped bare.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I've started to have a bash at the frontage of cobblers corner (Kehoes). And have decided to go for the simple shutters down look, which will save the need for glazing and making the shop display (partially why I've put the Budgens frontage on hold), as below. However, the canopies look like they might be tricky, but seem to be quite a distinctive feature.

64221429_PicKehoes.jpg.b411d70b45397cf3d36fcff2e78292ef.jpg

This is how the model was left some time ago (apologies for the pic quality - the sun shining through the windows was very bright and strong this morning . . . ). It's not an accurate model of the corner but hopefully invokes the look and character:

DSC_9215.JPG.f9075cec93656713199bc94244a0794b.JPG

And this is with the frontage as so far built this morning. Obviously it need a lot more work and painting, and then the dreaded canopies made and fitted. Currently the section is a module that just plugs in place and is not fixed:

DSC_9214.JPG.b50a444defa67f76c73f8997b68ff2ef.JPG

• Like 12

Slowly getting there. The canopies need some matting down to make them more like material. And I didn't bother with things like the wavy/scalloped edge at the bottom - too fiddly and frilly. And the canopy doesn't extent further right as on the real thing as I've reduced that distance to provide some compression, but hopefully is captures the look and character.

DSC_9226.JPG.b71cf357483fd41a34dd1d8f4416bd74.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

I haven't got as much done today modelling wise as I was hoping - too many interruptions and other tasks. But for the cobblers corner building I've made and added the side street door and window above, ridge tiles for the pitched roof and a flue for the back roof section.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, grahame said:

... I won't be attempting the canopy sign-writing yet (I think I'll need to practice first):

If it were me, I would paint the canopies white, and print on white transfer paper white lettering on a red background, large enough to cover the whole canapy.

I had considered that but thought it'd be very tricky to get a flat sheet over the complex shape around the curves and down the sides without folds, creases, double layering and cutting, or the transfer tearing and breaking up. Or, if just having transfers on the flat sections then matching paint colour with transfer print colour would be difficult and probably remain obvious. The idea solution would be being able to print white/pale yellow lettering transfers. 

I'll only look to paint "Kehoe's" once on one canopy (I'm not looking to create an exact replica) with the other wording (keys, leather and so on) on photo paper for the flat fascias. Cutting that to rectangles to snuggly fit should be relatively easy. Hopefully, with it suitably weathered and distressed, my freehand effort will go unnoticed (I've managed to get away with it on previous models).

Hopefully this'll do, despite the cruelty of photography. With luck, on the complete layout, amongst other shop frontages and signs no-one will really notice my dodgy sign-writing (fingers crossed):

DSC_9243.JPG.3d6a4586b37792d81129d40747d94e36.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Anyway, time to crack on with the next building - a small one that'll go between the Burger bar and Telephone House in London Bridge Street. I'll need to concentrate on the back of it as that'll be the side on view. Here's the frontage in London Bridge Street (it's quite ornate although with this side being hidden I don't need to be quite so elaborate - Allan Downes once said don't model what can't be seen) :

1115117_abe088cb.jpg.06fbc9931744281b089d08fc9bbbd687.jpg

I've sketched up a rough plan (below) but first need to pop out for some shopping and a newspaper (that might come in use in the future if I can't get any bog roll). I'll probably need to be quite creative for the rear side (the model building) as I don't have and can't find any suitable photos.

DSC_9245.JPG.cc3a19b2622cd18dc6352ebe4adb64bb.JPG

• Like 3

Mountboard carcass made:

DSC_9246.JPG.0670a08e9addbb4b877e207cd4819929.JPG

The building slots between two others (which are both a little taller) and butts up to them so the sides will not need any decoration, detail or work undertaken. That just leaves the front and back walls, roof and chimney stack to work on. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is how it's located between Telephone House and the Burger Bar, from the back (or what is actually the front in real life although will be hidden from view on the layout). You can see that the old hospital ward block (white building) has no details on this side and Telephone House doesn't even have a wall (yet). There should also be another building between the new model and TH but compression requirements means I'll be leaving it out.

DSC_9247.JPG.e1d177de84039b971203cad00ccc8ffc.JPG

Is anyone actually interested in this blog style supplementary information regarding my thought processes, plans, research and the real buildings? Or would it be better to just concentrate on the modelling?

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, grahame said:

Is anyone actually interested in this blog style supplementary information regarding my thought processes, plans, research and the real buildings? Or would it be better to just concentrate on the modelling?

For me, both are of interest:

*  The models themselves are rather good - not surprisingly, I'm interested in how you build them.

*  The research, thought processes etc. are also of interest, because they help to put everything else into perspective.

Huw.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

I've put together the chimney stack topping, flaunching and pots as a little sub-assembly. It needs tidying up with a file and painting. It's not fixed and I'll only glue it in place as a complete detail when the main structure in more complete, otherwise I'll only knock it and break it off when handling the building. In the meantime I hope I don't lose it:

DSC_9248.JPG.3606ad7d3cfe5240e2202528f91c6df6.JPG

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Grahame,

I'm finding this thread both informative and inspirational, I started following via the fish van thread as I have the West Highland at heart but have continued having seen your buildings being created. I've just started my much desired and long overdue N gauge WHL layout and was intending to only include the railway related buildings and maybe an odd basic cottage....but now having seen your constructions I'm inspired to try and include more, such as a Lochside hotel at least.

I have to say that you are a bit of a modelling machine ! :good_mini:

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1