Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2021 at 12:23, Gedward said:

Just trying to get hold of some roofers before it starts raining. Oh, too late.

Signal_03a copy.jpg

Signal_03b copy.jpg

Very nice. Looks a bit like Williton. I have spent many hours there....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Very nice. Looks a bit like Williton. I have spent many hours there....

Good spot. All the main buildings /structures are based on the Minehead branch. So the signal box is indeed based on Williton.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gedward said:

Good spot. All the main buildings /structures are based on the Minehead branch. So the signal box is indeed based on Williton.

Looks great. I have detailed drawings of every building on the Minehead line, if you need any, let me know.

Ian

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Looks great. I have drawings of every building on the Minehead line, if you need any, let me know.

Ian

Ian, that's very kind. I am using detailed drawings from the book 'The Minehead Branch 1848-1971 by Ian Coleby. If you have any others that would be very useful thank you.

15 hours ago, simonmcp said:

The posher scaffolding boards have metal ends, might be difficult to replicate in 2mm though. 

The 'metal ends' are just metal strip bands nailed to the ends and turned a little along each side to help protect the corners and prevent the wood splitting. They are available separately for scaffolders to fit if their boards don't have them or they get broken off. There are various types/styles. Here's a couple:

1886584533_Screenshot(80).png.a2b26034787d166a999481c64b7e9b58.png

1376218194_Screenshot(78).png.adb093585948b5124eb50d02829a4461.png

Yep, I guess they'd be tricky to replicate in N/2mm although I'll probably try a stripe of silver paint applied with a paint pen. And some scaffold boards have their ends painted different colours like blue and red - possibly to indicate their length when lying stacked on a truck. We did find that Youngman staging boards were stronger and better than scaffold boards when building indoor stillage from scaffolding.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Ian, that's very kind. I am using detailed drawings from the book 'The Minehead Branch 1848-1971 by Ian Coleby. If you have any others that would be very useful thank you.

Hi there, that's me... So glad you are using it. I think I covered all the buildings in the book, of you need anything specific, let me know.

Ian Coleby

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Hi there, that's me... So glad you are using it. I think I covered all the buildings in the book, of you need anything specific, let me know.

Ian Coleby

Sorry I didn't make the connection after seeing the name Ian. I guess not enough coffee in the system yet.

Although Bovey Tor is a freelance branchline, I so want to make it as 'believable' as possible. I spent ages researching various station buildings in the GW area. I particularly wanted an interesting building without a huge canopy covering the most interesting parts. And Crowcombe was just perfect for my purposes. Just as the Williton box is also. I love how it sits on the slope at the end of the platform, which is quite unique to me. When I spotted your book for sale at Warley, I was so pleased as this saved me so much more research and brick counting too.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I've painted the black louvered 'aeroflow' radiator grille that was a feature on many Ford vehicles of the era, and the lights and indicators. But these details seem to be very small and make my painting, when photo enlarged, look terrible and like I've got very shaky hands. Is N/2mm scale getting smaller? And there's still a lot more details to paint . . . .

DSC_0488red.jpg.84bd805c20be797a74aa7ec35e93f00b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, grahame said:

I've painted the black louvered 'aeroflow' radiator grille that was a feature on many Ford vehicles of the era, and the lights and indicators. But these details seem to be very small and make my painting, when photo enlarged, look terrible and like I've got very shaky hands. Is N/2mm scale getting smaller? And there's still a lot more details to paint . . . .

DSC_0488red.jpg.84bd805c20be797a74aa7ec35e93f00b.jpg

Cracking job!   I'd be happy with that in 7mm scale.

• Thanks 1

A little slow progress on the scaffold truck. I've got the black paint on the cab and windows and managed to cut and fit the windscreen, which is very fiddly. The side windows will be formed from the PVA type liquid glazing:

DSC_0490res.jpg.17628aeb2d1c364b1d8c2d4b2ecfcb5e.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I've started to get a bit of detailing paintwork on the other Ford Cargo to get it up to the same stage as the scaff truck but it's taking me ages. I seem to have lost some of my modelling mojo and have lots of other things on the go. It needs a windscreen cut and fitted as well as more paint, and hopefully to get some suitable decals to pimp it up as a BRS Truck Rental version:

DSC_0496red.jpg.00210764799a1b529b8cc0d72a52b647.jpg

Rf4a06f952cc2c73f1dc6cf8c61b3bf96.jpg.f05be9f3ca41ad27e8e8aef6355aed60.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Today the postie delivered some 3D printed NSE style ticket machines and permit to travel machines that I'd ordered from Peedie Models. They look rather good. Next is to separate them from the unnecessary sprue mounting bases, clean them up and give them a coat of primer.

DSC_0503red.jpg.44ee8a464c4b246d4981e6cb6f5fcba9.jpg

• Like 4

I've cut them off the sprues with a razor saw then sanded the bottoms flat. They've now been given a scrub with cream cleaner, rinsed, dried and given a dusting of grey primer which really shows up the details:

DSC_0505red.jpg.f0928ea710130c7a4e3097ef36e3f1a4.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had a quite a few bits and bobs from Peedie Models too....good items and super quick postage.

I spent a few years on BR installing the Quickfare machines as I worked for BR Business Systems and prior to that as 

Brighton area ticket machine coordinator. They are very heavy and had to have a deep concrete base to support them. The moving and lifting but was done by a London firm Fox Brothers? who normally moved and installed safes.

We had a machine like these, a B8050 stolen from Cholsey station, completely gone, no trace. At BRBS we had an internal newsletter that was of Student rag week mag standard. For it I managed to doctor a Far Side cartoon of aliens in a flying saucer to include the ticket machine being flown off with them.  Silly but fun.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've had a bash at painting details on half of them. I think this is about as neat as I'm going to get them. I'll add the notices (black on the ticket machines and white on the permit to travel machines cut from appropriately coloured decal paper - that'll ensure they are neat and square. There's no way I could paint them freehand . . . . 

DSC_0513red.jpg.227e5cccaf795863e5d1a8f4225f0cde.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I've looked a pics of loads of them now and I was quite surprised how different they are even though basically similar in design - different colouring, different signs, different wording, different types of slots and hatches, different locations of various bits and so on. They probably varied over time.

• Like 1