Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

I need to get some white PVA glue for the laser-cut kits so that'll have to wait until tomorrow. In the meantime I've been adding a couple of details to my heavily compressed low relief rough and ready basic effort of Southwark cathedral. It needs the clock adding to the tower:

DSC_1107red.jpg.a38bbae3d9d131a7663c42384da07f78.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

My low-relief cathedral is made from cardboard with just a little styrene strip. The windows are laser-cut from Romark available from York Modelmaking so are not entirely of the correct type/style, but then it's highly simplified overall.

It's also heavily progressively compressed from the front to back (in the same way that perspective gives an impression of compression over distance) so that the Lady Chapel has most depth, with sections (like the altar and chancel areas) getting thinner until the tower and transcept roof are just represented by flat card with a little relief detail added.

It won't be easy to see on the layout being at the side against the backscene board and behind the bridge/viaduct. In this photo, I took some years ago, you can see the railway bridge/viaduct overhead that will obscure the cathedral.

P1090699red.jpg.1be01e5e67d6fef20adef0df4c8ab0c7.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 05/09/2021 at 16:38, grahame said:

My low-relief cathedral is made from cardboard with just a little styrene strip. The windows are laser-cut from Romark available from York Modelmaking so are not entirely of the correct type/style, but then it's highly simplified overall.

It's also heavily progressively compressed from the front to back (in the same way that perspective gives an impression of compression over distance) so that the Lady Chapel has most depth, with sections (like the altar and chancel areas) getting thinner until the tower and transcept roof are just represented by flat card with a little relief detail added.

It won't be easy to see on the layout being at the side against the backscene board and behind the bridge/viaduct. In this photo, I took some years ago, you can see the railway bridge/viaduct overhead that will obscure the cathedral.

P1090699red.jpg.1be01e5e67d6fef20adef0df4c8ab0c7.jpg

You may be able to use some of Ian Morgan's tips in that space between the road and the Lady Chapel.

Herb Garden Southwark Cathedral 2.JPG

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little progress on the laser-cut wood kits. One was very straightforward and the other a 'mare. I made quite a mess of it, finding tiny bits of thin wood not the easiest to work with, but it is a rustic wooden ventilated storage shed. Roofs I'll make up from card and paper - both supplied seem too large with big overhangs and one had etched diamond pattern laid shingles which is not very British. Apologies for poor snap;

DSC02220red.jpg.f8c35f776096f4d441c669f16e6b12b0.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what you are going to use them for Grahame but they remind me a bit of my Grandad's pigeon lofts back in the 70s/80s, particularly the one with the barred front which then had a walkway in front of the roosting areas also protected by a barred frontage. The other one almost already has the upper loft entrances for when the birds return from either exercise or racing.

I can hear my Grandad calling them in now ! (In my head) :good_mini:

Regards,

Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, 03060 said:

I don't know what you are going to use them for Grahame but they remind me a bit of my Grandad's pigeon lofts back in the 70s/80s, particularly the one with the barred front which then had a walkway in front of the roosting areas also protected by a barred frontage. The other one almost already has the upper loft entrances for when the birds return from either exercise or racing.

I had thought the one with doors and windows was some kind of livestock/bird building - possibly a pigeon loft with the upper hatch where they were let out or could return to. The kit packaging just says it's a storage shed.

The other is claimed to be a ventilated storage shed for gas bottles or wood. Not sure that wooden staves would be very secure thou.

• Like 1

With me probably not having much use or need for these sheds and the fun of constructing them now exhausted, I'm calling it a day on any further work on them (not that there needs to be any). Here's how they ended up:

DSC_1122red.jpg.540a1028564987b44d0af4aaefde523c.jpg

On to the next modelling project and a trip to TINGS on Saturday.

• Like 7

I recently ordered some 3D prints from Shapeways including these two Prestwin wagons. The one on the left (dia 274) is sitting on a Peco 10ft chassis while the other (dia 277) requires a Parkside or Dapol 12ft chassis. Disappointingly I was unable to purchase either at TINGS (the Peco chassis is from a complete wagon kit) or some 5'6" plate-back bogies from the NGS (OOS) for another 3D printed wagon. Looks like these projects have stalled before getting started, until I can get the parts required. Hope it's not too long a wait.

DSC02344red.jpg.5161bae7339253d450ab1e131e0e1097.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of slow progress on the Prestwins. The bodies are only resting on the chassis and I need to order some decals. The main change has been to replace the moulded ladders with etched ones - quite fiddly removing the 3D printed ones and I've made a bit of a mess of the bodies . . . .

DSC02379red.jpg.73dd6839ed712ac712d15e8349c31bd8.jpg

• Like 11

Decals arrived today so the transfers are on and I've grubbied them down although I might have overdone that but they're similar to pics of real ones, after all cement dust got everywhere - I recall the line through Northfleet in the 70s where everything was grey for miles around. This snap was taken with my little compact, but I'll take a better pic tomorrow with my proper camera.

DSC02396red.jpg.a0297382c2ddd4c858b5618ffd5690e7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Here's my next wagon project - a 35t bogie liquid chlorine tanker. I must be a glutton for punishment as it's another 3D printed model. So far just cleaned up and given primer coats. But I'm also putting together some more BR containers kits and another Limpet wagon (both NGS kits seen above).

DSC02399red.jpg.0dc3068f0e029f62f867914b38625624.jpg

• Like 8

The 3D tanker is rather devoid of underframe details so does anyone know if anyone does and where you can get wagon vee hangers and handbrake handles - preferably etched metal?

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, grahame said:

The 3D tanker is rather devoid of underframe details so does anyone know if anyone does and where you can get wagon vee hangers and handbrake handles - preferably etched metal?

Hi

In the past I’ve made vee hangers from wire and fabricated the brake levers from left over etches. For my next project I’m considering doing an etch as there are quite a few items I need that aren’t available.

It would be useful if some of the etches available in 4mm for things like this were shrunk down to N. I’m guessing there are very few people who would need them so not commercially viable.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

I think I'm sorted for vee hangers and handbrake handles thanks to the generosity of Jerry who is going to put some spares in the post to me. In the meantime I've added the wire bracing (but not painted it). And the next issue will be replacing the broken off straps and finding suitable decals - anyone able to advise? The aim is to replicate this (T203) : https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bpcmchlorinetbv

DSC02432red.jpg.2650a80b083f1afd763aed12884fb009.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 2

A little progress on the tanker. Brass buffers (rather than the 3D printed ones) have been added and a start made on adding decals (the tank is not fixed in place to allow access for completing the decals). The NGS ones have been posted and are due and I've received some Langley ones but waiting on the vee hangers and brake handles to finish off the chassis:

DSC_1217red.jpg.4d15b34873e1d2b9d1572d9e7cdf0e5f.jpg

• Like 9

A tiny amount of progress - some decals on, couplers added to the bogies and they have been painted, but still waiting for vee hangers and brake handles which will have to be fitted away from the bogies otherwise they will prevent bogie swing movement and the wagon traversing train set curves - but they are fairly centrally placed on the prototype:

DSC_1226red.jpg.48b803d9b16ddeaae8b2549225cc0ba5.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

For my next project I thought I'd make a model of Borough LT underground station. Over the years it seems to have undergone several upgrades. In the 1920s (when it was moved and re-built) until at least 1982 when this pic was taken it was like this:

1982.jpg.1d56928ccb4b5351f2b0720ad8a46ff7.jpg

Then sometime between 1982 and 1989 is was re-built to look like this (note the cast concrete LT roundel):

1989.jpg.338a2f6b7f205e3783cc867617855a16.jpg

Later an ugly metal edifice, fencing and ladders were added to the roof (which is pretty much how it looks now:

103927_bf62a0fa.jpg.6e56a9eb21b402b70f55525ef45e68cf.jpg

I think I'll go with the mid 1980s version.

(pics are all creative commons licenced).

• Like 6

And we're off and running. I've sketched up a rough scale plan which, as usual, includes compromises of simplicity and compression. And I've cut two main parts, the floor and the roof of the main building from mountboard.

DSC02476red.jpg.8f47cd247fe78826fe79b6d24c3c927d.jpg

• Like 10

The ground floor basic carcass is now effectively complete (upper level to be done) but it is very simple. And I've started marking out some 'tiled' plasticard I have for cladding as the walls. It's not quite accurate scale-wise (for the individual tile sizes) but seems to be pretty much very suitable and acceptable:

DSC02477red.jpg.beaebdb2b107c05b169b1182889aab5e.jpg

• Like 14