Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Up bright and breezy this morning, made a pot of tea, fed the cat and been out shopping for the Sunday papers and some food for the week. And since I've got back I've had a bash at the basic carcass for the upper lever - the drum structure (most likely the stairs/lift and ventilation shaft) as well as the tile cladding for it. The circular part is cut from an old black peppercorns plastic container and the rest is mountboard. I'm quite pleased with progress:

DSC02479red.jpg.2f5aec86388ee008d7f749bf50bf0ac8.jpg

• Like 10

It's starting to look like a LT tube station although there's still lots to do such as: the roof dwarf walls and coping stones, the canopy, roof details, and the tall cast concrete LT roundel. Plus painting should help accentuate the stripy look. And I need to straighten the right side of the entrance/exit opening.

DSC02482red.jpg.dc36ff66538851fef15bbe65a62db929.jpg

The exit/entrance is quite small, but then it is on the real station, reduced significantly over the years:

Borough_tube_station_2005-11-27.jpg.1a1f5d39be527f67f7a36752f6f3d05d.jpg

• Like 13

Coping stones and primer grey now on. The two tricky assemblies, the curved canopy and the tall cast concrete roundel, are yet to be started but they are iconic LT features and should make it look right.

DSC02484red.jpg.96e6265a8d209a6ec70c9604843e5ea0.jpg

Next to the real tube station is a narrow four storey building (a hotel I believe) as can be seen in the prototype photos above with a tall featureless flank wall towering over the station. As I have a model of a similar building (narrow and four storeys tall although not of the actual building) I've placed them together to get an idea of size and whether they look appropriate and correct and if the sizes are about right:

DSC02485red.jpg.07d778fdd61935c76ab7c1dbaec7c2b3.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The top storey is now glued to the ground floor, I've repainted the coping stones (as they seemed rather dark but probably still are), tidied up the vent grilles painting, added a little weathering powders to the roof, matt varnished it and cut a card template for the canopy to work from and ensure a snug fit. Other than that not a lot this morning . . . 

DSC02488red.jpg.4ec979938cb0e7435a721fddda33ea2e.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

Not a station I expected to see modelled. Are you modelling the whole of Borough High Street, Grahame? In the 1990s, Riva, the cafe on the ground floor of the neighbouring building had the contract for Southwark Social Services training day and conference lunches. Very nice sandwiches, samosas etc. they made too.

Borough tube station 2 2 2018.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

@grahame that looks superb! As someone who takes six months to agonise over a factory back I am so envious of anyone who can re create real buildings in miniature. You're description and photo's make it look so easy. Loving this thread :good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, quite a nightmare proposition. But I've been thinking through a few potential dodges to simplify things. One is possibly to arrange for York Modelmaking to laser cut the trusses and I'll probably cast, in resin, the support columns. Fortunately the side support walls are already effectively done.

The foyer, ticket office and travel centre roof, with all those little pyramid skylights, is another tricky proposition. . . .

It's a lifetime magnum opus, and not to be rushed.

;-)

• Like 8

Hi Grahame,

Hope you're keeping well.

I've just had a catch-up of the thread as I was in London the other day for an appointment on Southwark Bridge Road. It was only as I was wandering about and saw Tooley Street that it all clicked that this was the area you're modelling. I didn't have long to look about, but you've got the character spot on, and although the area has changed a lot, it still helps to place your modelling.

Loving the work on Borough station.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I've had another bash at miniature freehand signwriting - this time the pub name 'St John's tavern' using a bullet tipped paint pen. It was difficult to control and be consistent, but with it being N gauge scale (meaning the lettering is very small) and it will be at the back of the layout (so difficult to see), I'm hoping it will suffice. The other pub, 'The Antigallican', is yet to be tackled - I might take a different approach.

1847202400_LRB-14red.jpg.7656d27888074bbd6e7af738a00cb778.jpg

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd undertake a little side project of making an art deco garage based on the one in the village where I live. It won't be an exact replica and is compressed to make it smaller - for example the newer wing on the left (a car dealer business) has been left off.

332686011_Garagered.jpg.07825ae47e1709f8a226f13d5e964a3c.jpg

The pic above was taken on a Sunday - usually there's quite a few cars on the forecourt and the concertina shutter are open. The petrol pumps were removed long ago and the garage is now an autocare business offering MOTs, servicing and repairs. Here's how far I got this afternoon with everything so far cut from mountboard card:

DSC02596red.jpg.07e00d30d4559d5223818d0476899c9f.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Not much modelling today. Just the addition of some wall columns and the coping stones, then several coats of white primer. Next to tackle is the tower frontage, which I'll be making out of plasticard.

DSC02599red.jpg.5ac5bbdf585c7f575b477f9e8e98c5fb.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've now tackled the tower with just the window and door panel at the bottom and fascia boards around the top to add. And to think about how to represent the clock. Then next to consider and have a bash at is the pitched roof over the left wing, and then . . . . .

DSC02600red.jpg.9bba73d230a7654a97f82f1f9efdf521.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Been a bit busy today, with the financial ombudsman and my bank, so not much modelling done - just a little bit of colour which needs touching up and weathering. And next to tackle is the reception entrance and window section at the bottom of the tower, then the concertina doors:

DSC02606red.jpg.bcf8acf815ff4ddd67a54c213cab3d92.jpg

• Like 10