Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

• RMweb Gold
On 07/12/2021 at 08:16, grahame said:

I've now tackled the tower with just the window and door panel at the bottom and fascia boards around the top to add. And to think about how to represent the clock. Then next to consider and have a bash at is the pitched roof over the left wing, and then . . . . .

DSC02600red.jpg.9bba73d230a7654a97f82f1f9efdf521.jpg

Would one of those art deco very minimalistic jobs do? This is one from a railway station with added elements, but the face is what I mean. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/2247466/50773266/in/group/318907

or perhaps this one

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/soniaroosen/50505652/in/group/318907

Edited by phil_sutters

The reception entrance door and window panel is now made and added. Paintwork, for the entire model. needs touching up and weathering. Next to tackle are the concertina doors and their weather pelmets. 

DSC_1336red.jpg.b55a0b08bb1b436ea37e3313cba172ec.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, col.stephens said:

Looking good Grahame.  Any particular reason for finishing the tower in styrene?  It looks quite achievable in card.

Thanks.

I used styrene sheet for the tower art deco details mainly for maintaining sharpness, speed and ease. Don't forget this is N/2mm scale so the parts are small and the smaller you cut card the more prone it seems to become for feathering, delaminating and corner damage.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks, although I've been a proponent of wiping super glue along the edge of cut card for it to soak in and harden for many years now and have mentioned the tip in several published articles and here on RMweb. However, it does get a little more difficult with small and thin card details.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've been contemplating the folding concertina doors and how best to make them, bearing in mind their small size. Cutting and gluing each section together is not going to be good for my sanity. So I think I'm going to go with folded thin card stuck on to a firmer backing sheet (that'll be inside and not seen) to keep everything uniform and in line. Once painted and in place it should be acceptable and the weather pelmets (I'll probably make them from styrene) will help integrate everything. Here's my test bit (apologies for the poor snap):

DSC02608.JPG.e09e36cda71095ce722416dcf7499c46.JPG

Edited by grahame
  • Like 10

A good idea but the corrugated is rather wavy with curves. I had previously looked to see if there was any sheet with sharp angle ridges but couldn't find any. However, I found some right angles strip I had while hunting through my styrene strip and sheet drawer, and used that glued on to a backing sheet. The top edge is a little ragged but it will be covered when I make the weather pelmets and add them. 

DSC02609ed.jpg.b8e5fad3a3f2599904761b6449e3aac9.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Pelmets made and added, and a start made on the forecourt apron board with pavement crossing drops and dwarf wall added. And in primer grey ready for painting. The building is just placed in position but will be glued down later;

DSC02610red.jpg.6ef49c34d49279d36b010979ec0af286.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Last pics of the garage, to save boring everyone and as it's just about complete, save for some signage, although there's not a lot on the real thing and I need to get a new printer. Any recommendations?

DSC_1356red.jpg.cab1359f2122512b34d3ead15283d725.jpg

DSC_1354red.jpg.e4330a1b51dd5774fdc64e71102cf03c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, grahame said:

Last pics of the garage, to save boring everyone and as it's just about complete, save for some signage, although there's not a lot on the real thing and I need to get a new printer. Any recommendations?

DSC_1356red.jpg.cab1359f2122512b34d3ead15283d725.jpg

DSC_1354red.jpg.e4330a1b51dd5774fdc64e71102cf03c.jpg

I have a Canon IP7250 which has been trouble free….prints well at high res and the looky likey ink cartridges keep the cost down and work fine. All the signs on Olympia were done with it. I guess there will be an updated model by now.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, aardvark said:

Sorry, which modelling press?

Could be the one in the May Model Rail, on building a group of tatty shops near the Old Kent Road gasworks. I have worked around that area and London Bridge and Grahame recreates the look of the streets and buildings brilliantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

This picture popped up on a Facebook group recently, which I thought may be of interest to you. Unfortunately I did not note the location or source at the time, and it is impossible to find stuff from more than a month ago of Facebook:

51968956618_50bf7e6511_o.jpg.cf8ee3e2238989126a3bc92526e4db11.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I've been putting together a GHQ white metal kit of a 1970s Caterpillar D8 bulldozer purchased recently from Osborn's Models. It's been out of stock everywhere for a long time and even out of production, but GHQ have recently re-launched it.

BDred.jpg.7b68c319229d72e8ac0d95d27e2cc4ba.jpg

• Like 11