Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Grahame,

The building site looks great.

How are you going to make piles of bricks? I could do with Pallets of bricks to load up my Satlink train.

Carl

Have a look at model railway scenery - my brother has had palletised bricks/blocks from them and was well pleased

How are you going to make piles of bricks? I could do with Pallets of bricks to load up my Satlink train.

They'll be rough piles rather than neatly stacked/pallatised ones but I've had a bash at a test pile here:

post-33-0-88195000-1522166361_thumb.jpg

Not great but should do for what is a back of the layout scene. It's made from brick plasticard cut up and glued on a former made from card.

G.

• Like 4

Hi Grahame, nice bit of site reclamation going on, perhaps you might need a bit of help from this firm,

The old Sid 'watch 'em come down' Bishop - I didn't realize they were still around.

The demolition site is a fantastic use of the space Grahame. Really nicely modelled too! That's an idea I'm saving for a future project

Jo

It's meant to be from the 70s/80s so none of that fancy modern security fencing and H&S stuff which makes it easier to model.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the Buddleia! Every derelict site has loads. In the '80s we had a scrap of land between our office, in Grange Road - about half a mile away from your site, and the day centre next door, which was covered in the stuff. It was cleared and the space tarmacked over. The next year it was back, straight through the tarmac. Here's some from round the back of boatyards in Newhaven. They have purple or white flowerheads - or rusty coloured dead seed heads - upto 18" long.

post-14351-0-04773900-1522220293_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

I'm now fed up of cutting tiny bits of plasticard, painting and gluing them in position, so I think that'll do for now.

In the meantime is it best with a Bucyrus crane (as in previous pics), none as below, or a Poclain TY45 digger with grab (that were popular in the 70s/80s) as bottom of this post.

post-33-0-46664100-1522240398_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-21179200-1522240888_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 5

I've not undertaken any modelling recently (as I'm due to go in to hospital next week for an operation) so apologies for any lack of progress.

However, I've had a little breakthrough concerning research about Battlebridge House (see earlier in this thread) and have received a ground view pic of it. It looks quite a flashy and modern building and shows up some of my assumptions (and model) to be incorrect. The ground frontage is interesting and surprising as well as very helpful to be able to detail/complete the model.

The pic is the first stage build of Battlebridge House which appears to have later been extended Eastward along Tooley Street (to the corner with Morgan’s Lane) as in the 1978 aerial view on page 25 of this thread. 

post-33-0-51515200-1522911972_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

What we forget is what a breath of fresh air these buildings seemed when they first came along - the spirit of modernity contrasted with all that filthy black fussy brickwork further down the street. My father still maintains that high rise flats were the right thing to build at the time. The fundamental problem was not so much the style as the tight budgets to which they were built.

• RMweb Gold

I've not undertaken any modelling recently (as I'm due to go in to hospital next week for an operation) so apologies for any lack of progress.

However, I've had a little breakthrough concerning research about Battlebridge House (see earlier in this thread) and have received a ground view pic of it. It looks quite a flashy and modern building and shows up some of my assumptions (and model) to be incorrect. The ground frontage is interesting and surprising as well as very helpful to be able to detail/complete the model.

The pic is the first stage build of Battlebridge House which appears to have later been extended Eastward along Tooley Street (to the corner with Morgan’s Lane) as in the 1978 aerial view on page 25 of this thread. 

attachicon.gifDSC02391z.JPG

G.

No apologies needed. You are generous in sharing your project with us. I hope all goes well with the op and you recover soon. Best wishes.  Phil

Just wondering if you would be able to see the remains of the demolished houses interior decor on the now external end wall.

See part way down this link.

https://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/tag/rillington-place/

And would the old fire places still be seen, although could be rendered/bricked over.

Edit added this link http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/articles/blitzhouse.jpg

Edited by Shadow

Just wondering if you would be able to see the remains of the demolished houses interior decor on the now external end wall.

See part way down this link.https://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/tag/rillington-place/

And would the old fire places still be seen, although could be rendered/bricked over

I think the end building interior decor/fireplaces would have been visible when the house was bombed in the war(1940s) but the site wasn't cleared until the 70/80s and the pics I've seen seem to show the end was rendered (or something), probably to make the wall watertight and repair damage.

I was umming and ahhing about adding some wallpaper and fireplaces, but I've not yet made up my mind. It would make a nice feature and would be easy and interesting to model.

G

There's another larger building site that I'll be making at some point (which can be seen in the aerial view in post #465 on page 19 of this thread) where I can go to town with details, but probably not yet. Well at least not until I can work out the exact shape and size to fit in with the other structures. In the meantime I'm thinking about what'll be the next modelled building while I recover from the surgery I had on Wednesday.

G

I've been trying to do a little on-line research about the building site but not much seems forthcoming although it appears that it was still there at the beginning of this millennium. In the aerial pic below the building site is outlined in red - the red oval is the building site that I have just modelled. The buildings outlined in green are those that I have now made and the blue ones are also made but are not in the pic as they were demolished before the pic was taken.

post-33-0-29217700-1523788352_thumb.jpg

I do now have ne pic of the white building on the building site which looks quite interesting although it from the road side which is facing away from the viewing position. I really need a pic of the other (rear) side as that will be facing the front of the layout. Perhaps I'll have to make it up.

G.

• Like 2

Despite having never completely finished one of the building projects in this thread, it's eyes down and off we go for the next one - the plot of land between Holyrood Street and Magdalen Street before the recent modern apartments were built. It contains an old whitewashed warehouse building (ready to be demolished) and a more modern building in the front right corner. This should help provide a screening/view blocker for the edge of the baseboard behind. Both buildings can be seen in the on-screen pic below:

post-33-0-44485700-1523801834_thumb.jpg

I've sketched up the older building although I need to sort out the details. I've also cut a card base for the area. The 'scene' will be built directly on to this as a sub-base (like the other bomb/building site clearance cameo) - it can also be seen in the pic above.

• Like 3

The first, or rather next, thing was to run superglue around the edges of the card base and rub it in. This helps strengthen the corners and edges and gives a modicum of protection from accidental damage. It also allows the curved sections to be filed more accurately to shape.

Although it stains the card a little (looking like a damp patch) it will be finished later, either with coverings or paint (depending on what that part is), so won't show on the final model.

G.

I've made a start on the white warehouse building - the main carcass being cut from card. I'm planning to model the back of the building - which will be facing the front of the layout - as being torn down and part demolished, so probably a lot of fiddly internal floors, walls, roof trusses and details. The side with windows and doors cut out will be facing away from the viewing position so not a great deal of details will be needed on it. I'm not sure whether to model the doors and windows as boarded up as that should be easy and quick.

post-33-0-17955600-1523810920_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 8

The corner 'modern' building is quite interesting with an unusual footprint - see the rough paper plan in the pic below. It does extend further along (to the right) but I won't need to make that (or even if I find that I do later an extension section can be easily made and added). 

post-33-0-90912500-1523821732_thumb.jpg

This view is taken from the planned viewing side of the layout. The viaduct will pass left/right in front with just a narrow road (Holyrood Street) between the arches and the site.

G.

• Like 4

This is the only demolition site I can find. It was a Victorian school at the end of our road, being demolished to make way for a new academy.

Thanks. Oddly I also used to live in East Dulwich.

I did also search on-line for pics of warehouses being demolished and there were dozens to provide inspiration and detail. Most of them seem to feature a single digger/crane and huge piles of rubble.

The big problem area for me is timing. The pic of the white warehouse and modern building (7 Holyrood Street) is dated 1996 but ideally I like it set in the 70/80s. However it does overall look nicely run down and decrepit, especially the road/pavement. But I think I'll need a history licence.

G

Edited by grahame

My interest in 7 Holyrood Street has been piqued so I've been looking at pics and google aerial views, working out sizes for some compression and to fit, sketching plans and started cutting card. But unfortunately I'm out of mount board so I'll need to go out later to purchase some new supplies to be able to continue.

It's a Victorian building that was used as a tea packing warehouse before being converted in to office units so at least was around for the period I'm trying to emulate. Apparently it was once the headquarters of Clark and Taylor advertising agency who started up in 1990 but when they lost the Sainsbury's account they had to merge with another company meaning it was dissolved and the Holyrood Street offices closed.

post-33-0-74202500-1523869795_thumb.png

post-33-0-02124700-1523869828_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4