Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

• RMweb Gold

I've decided on the next building. It will be Printworks House, 7 Bermondsey Street, which is to the right of this group of models and just over/behind the main railway viaduct slightly east of the station. It's part of a largish factory complex, that still includes a tall industrial style chimney, but has now been converted in to luxury flats (sorry, apartments).

attachicon.gifDSC_1887.JPG

G.

Pity it's too far down - I would like to see you tackle no 78 Bermondsey Street!

post-14351-0-57061200-1505806058_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters

I've undertaken some on-line research and sketched up my plans for the building. You can see it on the screen in the pic below (behind the railway, along with the row in the post above) and my rough drawing:

post-33-0-92337200-1505805918_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

Pity it's too far down - I would like to see you tackle no 78 Bermondsey Street!

attachicon.gif78 Bermondsey St 11th Jan 06.jpg

That's an interesting building with a strange wooden attic and single (almost) centrally placed first floor jutted bay window. And some interesting colours - white render, blue wood and pinky roof. It's just a few houses up for the Woolpack pub which I used to drink in quite regularly in the 1980s when it had a great pin table and a parrot. I went in a few years ago and it's been ruined - now a modern gasto-pub.

G

• RMweb Gold

That's an interesting building with a strange wooden attic and single (almost) centrally placed first floor jutted bay window. And some interesting colours - white render, blue wood and pinky roof. It's just a few houses up for the Woolpack pub which I used to drink in quite regularly in the 1980s when it had a great pin table and a parrot. I went in a few years ago and it's been ruined - now a modern gasto-pub.

G

Another nice building in that area is this one - the Morocco Store. This has been used a film location on a number of occasions, for its olde worlde look. I worked briefly in the same office as the guy who issued Southwark's filming permits, that's how I know.

post-14351-0-78007700-1505807041_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters

I've got my head down and made a start. Firstly, I've cut the two main floors and then the walls where there will be no window or doors (mainly the ends/sides) with floor supports added to make up a simple carcase framework:

post-33-0-38414700-1505822996_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 2

It's a simple matter to glue those parts together to form the main frame and then to cut and add a few strengthening bits to produce something that will stand on its own:

post-33-0-23298300-1505825067_thumb.jpg

And then to quickly double check how it looks in place next to the other buildings in the street (to make sure height, size, etc., will be okay) with my full size rough drawing in place:

post-33-0-38745800-1505825076_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6

I'd somehow missed this thread previously, but read through it all yesterday. Great modelling of well chosen buildings. I also like the way it makes you think about all the wierd shapes that city centre buildings have. Many have elements of symetry, with asymmetric bits either original or added on, and few have a simple rectangle ground plan. I think this is something that people often miss when modelling, especially those modelling the more modern period. Also you see very few 70s-80 buildings modelled.

I'd somehow missed this thread previously, but read through it all yesterday. Great modelling of well chosen buildings. I also like the way it makes you think about all the wierd shapes that city centre buildings have. Many have elements of symetry, with asymmetric bits either original or added on, and few have a simple rectangle ground plan. I think this is something that people often miss when modelling, especially those modelling the more modern period. Also you see very few 70s-80 buildings modelled.

Thanks.

And yes, most real buildings are designed and built to fit available space so rarely have a simple rectangular footprint. The same goes for roof lines, with a mix of pitched (upright and inverted) and flat (even on one structure) and a host of adornments and add on like dormers, lofts, extensions, etc. Yet, on many model railway layouts, where buildings have been made (designed as well as built), they can look like children's drawings of a 'standard' house and seem to have little consideration for the site/location and use/purpose. Same goes for RTP and kit buildings, especially where used indiscriminately.

G.  

• Like 2

Back to the Printworks House model. I've now cut the front walls from brick embossed plasticard ready for adding the relief detail (and before attaching to the framework). These will be facing the front of the layout so will be easily seen and therefore, will have most attention and detail lavished on them. The back walls will be almost impossible to see, so will be plain and simple even though in real life they have details like balconies:

post-33-0-43185500-1505831899_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

The windows are all glazed (except where bricked up) where they will be viewable - some of those at the rear of buildings that wont be able to be seen don't exist. There's mainly two types; those made from strips of self-adhesive label on clear plastic or by using SceneSetters glazing bars (see post 367).

HTH.

G.

They look very useful, do you have a source for them, the only internet search brings up sold out at Antics.

This will be much less mind numbing than the method I've been using.

It's the first years anniversary since I started this thread. 

Many thanks to all those who have shown interest, followed the thread, posted comment and/or clicked on the various feedback buttons. I hope you've found it interesting, informative and entertaining.

G.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

They look very useful, do you have a source for them, the only internet search brings up sold out at Antics.

This will be much less mind numbing than the method I've been using.

I did post up a review with details in the NGS Journal (some issues back now) for SceneSetter window grids. If I recall correctly they are available from Freestone Models (who either supply or commission them) and they can be ordered on-line - I've purchased some that way. I'm not sure of the web address without Googling.

G.

I did post up a review with details in the NGS Journal (some issues back now) for SceneSetter window grids. If I recall correctly they are available from Freestone Models (who either supply or commission them) and they can be ordered on-line - I've purchased some that way. I'm not sure of the web address without Googling.

G.

Hi Grahame,

I saw the Freestone Models stand at an exhibition a couple of months back and, having inspected some (but kicking myself as I didn't buy any), can confirm that they are selling the SceneSetter window grids.

I saw the Freestone Models stand at an exhibition a couple of months back and, having inspected some (but kicking myself as I didn't buy any), can confirm that they are selling the SceneSetter window grids.

They're available in a range of different grid sizes so can be used on various window types. And they are relatively cheap so are worth experimenting with. They are very handy where you have a lot of windows that need frames/glazing and are quick and easy to apply - but you will need a white paint pen (or some white paint and a brush) to thicken the outer frame.

Back to the building, I've now managed to get the side wall cut out. There's a lot less windows than the real side wall to keep things simple and compressed, and the view of it will be partially blocked. Obviously it's not glued in place in this pic as that won't be done until decorated, painted and glazed.

post-33-0-75761300-1505897759_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

I think I've got most of the elevation details on now (just some coping stone topping to add on the side walls) and the featureless rear wall sections and roof structure (notice the top of the peaked dormer window at the rear that faces the inner courtyard) are now in place:

post-33-0-69140600-1505929117_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 7

I've got some main blocks of colour on and sealed it with matt varnish. Obviously there is more painting to do and then the weathering (and all that before installing the windows and fitting the walls in place):

post-33-0-32024600-1506000707_thumb.jpg

There is also still some structural building to undertake such as some internal floors and walls, and the dormer windows along the loft section (penthouses?). I'm dreading making them - they always seem unnecessarily fiddly and I find it difficult to get them all the same - consequently I put off doing them (as the observant may have noticed on many of the other buildings I've made).

G.

• Like 6

Although the pics are starting to get a little repetative (any developments now tend to be less dramatic) it is now starting to blend in with the other buildings in the row, and this is about as far as I can get (possibly for a few days) as I've now a list of other chores that need doing, arrangements and places to go:

post-33-0-69644300-1506030028_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 11

I've now made a start on the shops in Tooley Street that back on to the triangular block with Printworks House. I wont be bothering with the shop fronts as they will not be able to be seen (at the back of the layout and facing away from the viewing position) but the building backs (facing forward) are a jumble of interesting terraced house types so should be fun modelling the details for them. Here's how the shops will dovetail together with the other model buildings:

post-33-0-02500600-1506349624_thumb.jpg

As usual the carcase/framework is made from 1.5mm mount board (card).

G.

• Like 7

I've added some chimney stacks (the far left one is shared and overlaps the building that buts up the end wall) and have started cutting the walls from embossed plasticard. Lower details will not be able to be seen so can be simplified or omitted:

post-33-0-34437300-1506453751_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6