Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

I've now got the windows cut out and their surrounds added for the main section of the terrace. It's now starting to look a little like a real terrace of shops. Hopefully when the left end is finished, the roof and other details are added, and it is all painted, it will be representative of the real building:

post-33-0-03615600-1508673559_thumb.jpg

Here's an old picture of how it used to look. The era is rather earlier that what I'm modelling and trying to achieve although by no means is my model an exact replica:

post-33-0-23798000-1508673621.jpg

And this is what is there now. It's shorter than what it replaced as there is now the new railway bridge at the right hand end. But it would be a challenge to model. Any takers?

post-33-0-61695800-1508673758_thumb.jpg

G

Edited by grahame
  • Like 3

I've been slowly working my way along the building, completing the wall panels, and adding a little detail here and there. I've also now covered the roof with Redutex tiling (the ridges still need making and adding). Now just the tricky curved end section to do for the main structure and then the laborious task of painting all those surrounds:

post-33-0-31304700-1508752031_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 8

Re post #476 and the "now" photograph, I wonder how much Pilkingtons bunged the architects/planning committee?

Yep, it was a real 'pane', everyone could see through the scam. 

;-)

This afternoon I managed to get the end curved section mostly completed. In the pic below it's only held temporarily in place (like all the other wall sections) with sellotape, but they need to be glazed first, and there is some other details to add and finish. Glazing would be tricky if the walls were fixed in place as access would be limited and it's easier to work on a flat (or curved) panel.

post-33-0-13663900-1508781782_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 8

I've got to the stage where I've started to get some colour on to the wall panels. Each are at various stages of completion (in the pic below) and none are yet ready for glazing - although I've knocked up a few windows just to check aperture sizes and look. It all seems to be going to plan. Even the wobbly edge on the curved section will be straightened when slotted and glued in place:

post-33-0-67423100-1508855701_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 12

I've started to slowly work my way from left to right in getting some paint on and the windows glazed. It's a little repetative and laborious, but is starting to make the building come alive (well, at least IMO):

post-33-0-89317000-1508933455_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 13

I've been rather busy working on the NGS Journal but I've finally got around to painting all the window surrounds, dirtying them down and adding the glazing. Next to add some internal floors, to be inserted from the back, and make the chimney tops:

post-33-0-98964500-1509188818_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 13

Just a little more work done since the last snap. Although it doesn't look like anything has been done, the ridge tiles (card strips), chimney stack tops (card) and pots (white metal) have been added and the internal floors fitted:

post-33-0-53705000-1509278430_thumb.jpg

With just details and the shop fronts to finish I can now start to consider the next project . . . . . 

G.

• Like 9

I just love this thread. Quality work that is posted at a remarkable rate of knots and I really like the clear and concise explanations. But mainly I just love the way you take photos and turn them into something 3D. You have inspired me to resurrect my modeling skills for the first time in 30 years, and do something similar in card in 4mm - albeit at a snails pace compared to you . So thank you Grahame

Love the shop front. Looking forward to see what you will do with the interiors.

Hmmm, no pressure then?  :whistle:

I'll probably leave the interiors for a while but from left to right they'll be:

Blue - an estate agent so simple photo display

White - private upper floors entry

Brown - shuttered

White - a 'café-bar' so some tables and chairs

Yellow - snappy snaps

Orange - Londis mini store

white/brown - not sure but the canopy will probably prevent seeing in

It took me a while just to do the burger bar opposite and I've not yet done the Budgens:

post-33-0-69207800-1509451987_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

I've been rather busy over the last few days and weekend finishing off the NGS Journal 6/17 but that is now completed and the print ready files generated and sent off. Consequently there has been very little progress on the model buildings, although I have found suitable images on-line for two of the shop fronts name boards. The colours don't quite match but they'll do for what is a fairly run down terrace:

post-33-0-40278900-1509468424_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 11

I've still got a number of structures to make including the shop front terrace in Guildable Manor Street (which are no longer there):

post-33-0-52060400-1509481544.jpg

and now (the new railway bridge goes over the top of it):

post-33-0-30212400-1509481585_thumb.jpg

and to complete the two tower blocks (New London Bridge House and Southwark Towers) for which I have already made foam board cores. Both of these are now demolished.

Then there is the very ornate walling along St Thomas Street that is part of the terminus station viaduct:

post-33-0-95204000-1509481776_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-15420600-1509481799_thumb.jpg post-33-0-91593900-1509481821_thumb.jpg

For this I was thinking of making a master for an arch section and then casting it in resin for consistency and ease. Any suggestions?

G. 

• Like 4

Yesterday evening, while watching a bit of telly (Spurs super win over Real) and contemplating the next building, I knocked up a static caravan from plasticard and painted it this morning. It's not finished, the glazing and doors need fitting and the roof hasn't been fixed on, but it was a nice little diversion. It's a fairly generic 28 x 10 footer. I'm not sure about the shocking pink colour . . . . and the photo is rather cruelly enlarged :

post-33-0-98140400-1509621209_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've still got a number of structures to make including the shop front terrace in Guildable Manor Street (which are no longer there):

attachicon.gif1115118_d8c859d7.jpg

and now (the new railway bridge goes over the top of it):

attachicon.gifP1090698.JPG

and to complete the two tower blocks (New London Bridge House and Southwark Towers) for which I have already made foam board cores. Both of these are now demolished.

Then there is the very ornate walling along St Thomas Street that is part of the terminus station viaduct:

attachicon.gifLB b30.JPG

attachicon.gifLB b32.JPG attachicon.gif21.jpg

For this I was thinking of making a master for an arch section and then casting it in resin for consistency and ease. Any suggestions?

G. 

Meanwhile round the other side of the station there have been these delights - fortunately after your timescale

post-14351-0-46848000-1509636001_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-61454200-1509636002_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile round the other side of the station there have been these delights - fortunately after your timescale

The first pic is the 'back' (for the layout) of the 'flat iron' (SER offices) building that is now demolished. I have made a version of it including the 'V2' rocket on the end:

post-33-0-86300200-1509638303_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-03992600-1509638321_thumb.jpg

However, the other side in Tooley Street (with the wartime museum) is just a print on my model. In the photo there is a Networker in NSE livery at the station and New London Bridge House (in the background) is still standing, so although a little late (2006) it does at least include the right elements.

In the second pic, of London Dungeon, you can see the announcers office on the viaduct (also now demolished) which I started making some years ago (but is another yet to be finished model):

post-33-0-73368600-1509638353_thumb.jpg 

Shame that side of the viaduct will be facing away on the layout but it will save a lot of fiddly modelling as I'll probably just make a basic representation.

G.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Has the SER office entrance gone? It was an impressive bit of railway architecture and I know that Historic England (as English Heritage now is) weren't pleased that it was marked for demolition. Photographed 10.4.2006

post-14351-0-31477900-1509653109_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this shot is of any interest. It was kicking around in a London Bridge file 'unprocessed' As usual it's after your period - 2009. I came across it while looking for stuff to upload to the Historic England site.

post-14351-0-45150100-1509655660_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters

Has the SER office entrance gone? It was an impressive bit of railway architecture and I know that Historic England (as English Heritage now is) weren't pleased that it was marked for demolition. Photographed 10.4.2006

attachicon.gifSoutheastern Railway Company offices Tooley Street London 10 4 2006.jpg

Yep, AFAIA Network Rail knocked the whole thing down in an act of wanton destruction just to have an open plaza that could accommodate retail outlets. It wasn't just opposed by English Heritage but also by the Victorian Society who even also employed an architect to show how the ground floor could be opened up to provide access to the station without destroying the building.

http://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/news/former-south-eastern-railway-offices-london/

http://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/news/save-londons-flat-iron-building/

G.

Its a kind of re-useable putty for making simple mouldings. There was a thread here about it

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124117-blue-stuff-from-green-stuff-give-the-boy-a-hand/

Ah, right.  

It looks like you need a hard firm master to press in to it. I'd guess that if I build a stand alone arch it probably won't have sufficient rigidity and relief to form a suitable impression. But it's probably good and handy for making a quick replica of one of a pair to replace a broken one.

I think I'd be happier to form a RTV rubber mould from such a master which will produce a reasonable number of resin castings.

G

Here's some pics of the almost complete static caravan. Okay, so it's not cardboard and is all made from plasticard. But it only took two evening work and made a nice little change from large buildings - at N/2mm scale it's less than two and a half inches long. I'm not even sure if I will use it on the planned layout and the pink is still pretty shocking . . . . .

post-33-0-25261300-1509878992_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-32144700-1509879008_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6

I spent a bit of yesterday evening experimenting with image stacking. I've used a free trial bit of software to check it out. It's easy to use and certainly sharpens up the DoF in one's snaps, but that draws attention to the modelling deficiencies even more - perhaps a double edged sword.

Here's my third test image (the first two were dull pics of nothing in particular). You probably need to click on the image for a full size version. I've opened up to f10 from my usual stopped down minimum aperture. The tricky thing is making small but consistent adjustments to the manual focussing - it looks like I've missed focussing on the 'Burger Bar' at the furthest point:

post-33-0-77067100-1510046632_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 11