Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Are you sure you are not Allan Downes in disguise,

Nope, but he is an inspiration. He makes 4mm and 7mm models whereas I stick with N/2mm.

Anyway I've added a few more details but think that'll do for now on the pub. The model will be at the back of the layout and difficult to see so no point in wasting a lot of time and effort in trying to super-detail. I need to move on to painting and so on.

post-33-0-41967800-1518168099_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! Such inspirational stuff.

I've been collecting information and images from down the line at Woolwich Arsenal for years but have yet to put scalpel to styrene.

For now I'll just gaze at your buildings and dream.

Edited by ThirdRail

I've been collecting information and images from down the line at Woolwich Arsenal for years but have yet to put scalpel to styrene.

Perhaps it's now time to make a start. I often begin making models without all the necessary info and reference pics. You can always revisit and upgrade if more data comes to light - although often it doesn't.

I like the idea of Woolwich Arsenal. I used to work there (in Powis Street) and would take lunch in the Tramshed (no longer there) for a pint of ESB and real welsh rabbit made with beer. We even organised and ran a five day beer festival in the hot summer of 1976 and stored the beer in the cellar of the derelict pub opposite the station (also no longer there). By then the first McDonnalds in the UK had been opened in Woolwich for nearly two years. And I can even claim to having played football at the old Arsenal ground in stadium road (after they moved to North London). But the area has changed a lot since.

G.

At the risk of committing some sort of netiquette faux-pas can I message you rather than clutter your excellent thread with Woolwich reminiscences?

Feel free, although also feel free to post (either on this thread or another, perhaps even one you start) as you'll get a bigger audience and possibly some helpful feedback that you can add to your collection of information.

G.

Edited by grahame

I've got some Redutex tiling on the pub and warehouse roofs - it needs ridge tiles and flashing adding.  I might darken the warehouse roof by painting and they both (and the third pitched roof when done) will need matt varnishing. Fitting Redutex is like laying self adhesive vinyl floor tiles, only it's easier to cut and quicker to fit. And I've evened out the 'dirtiness', of the warehouse brickwork with some powders :

post-33-0-05326700-1518280708_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The warehouse brown looks spot on for the area. I have turned up a couple more photos of details on Denmark House. I can't help thinking that there must be some Ancient 10 or 15mm wargames figures with hairy heads like the ones on this building.

post-14351-0-45459000-1518309523_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-69090000-1518309536_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Particularly like the warehouse - really captures the local architecture, and the grubby brick tone is perfect! I spent a year or so living at a friend's place on Pardoner Street. The old buildings might have been gentrified within an inch of their lives, but there's still just enough of a sense of what it would have been like in the nineteenth century.

After a couple of days doing other things I've now been looking through my stock of various windows (Downesglaze, Scene-setters glazing bars, Samson and various odds and sods) for suitable ones:

post-33-0-93064100-1518520666_thumb.jpg

In the photo (black and white admittedly) of the actual buildings the window frames are dark (on the warehouse) but I'll have to make do with white ones. I've tried in the past to colour them but at best it only becomes a very pale pastel shade.

G.

• Like 6

I've knocked up the warehouse hoist/crane from 'I' beam. Although, using the smallest I had, it looks rather chunky and, of course, the original is not made from 'I' beams. However, perhaps I shouldn't worry as it'll be at the back of the layout and probably difficult to see. The pic shows it just resting in place and in grey primer.

post-33-0-45325100-1518530069_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6

I've been struggling a bit with the last building. I had no idea of the tile and frontage colours (just a black and white photo) so I made them up deciding to go with a grey-green - but found that the acrylic colour I had had dried up and the only other green was a bright garish one. So, even with mixing with some grey and black, it's ended up looking rather like an old toilet. Hopefully it will suffice, and being at the back of the layout not too obvious. Then the ground floor shop front looks like it's cut stone or marble, but not being very proficient with paint effects it has ended up looking rather beige. I'm wondering whether the whole look clashes too much with the building next door:

post-33-0-27608300-1518604922_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I've been struggling a bit with the last building. I had no idea of the tile and frontage colours (just a black and white photo) so I made them up deciding to go with a grey-green - but found that the acrylic colour I had had dried up and the only other green was a bright garish one. So, even with mixing with some grey and black, it's ended up looking rather like an old toilet. Hopefully it will suffice, and being at the back of the layout not too obvious. Then the ground floor shop front looks like it's cut stone or marble, but not being very proficient with paint effects it has ended up looking rather beige. I'm wondering whether the whole look clashes too much with the building next door:

attachicon.gifDSC_4840.JPG

G.

The grey green is reminiscent of panels used in concrete buildings in the 60s. I think that Hannibal House, above the Elephant & Castle shopping centre still has those, although the Google maps pictures aren't brilliant. 

As far as the other building goes, I expect that the ground floor finish is like the Lloyds bank in Borough High Street, rather than marble. So I think beige or cream would be about right.

post-14351-0-29745800-1518623595_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The grey green is reminiscent of panels used in concrete buildings in the 60s. I think that Hannibal House, above the Elephant & Castle shopping centre still has those, although the Google maps pictures aren't brilliant. 

As far as the other building goes, I expect that the ground floor finish is like the Lloyds bank in Borough High Street, rather than marble. So I think beige or cream would be about right.

attachicon.gifLloyds Bank Borough High Street 17 1 2018.jpg

Thanks I'll go with the strange green tiles now. 

However, I'm not so sure the ground floor frontage is worked Portland stone (a white-grey limestone) used a lot in prestigious local buildings (possibly like the one left below) and used to face St Olafs House - it looks more like slabs of a cheap creamy cut and polished aggregate veneer.

post-33-0-94675300-1518624461_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 3

If you have access to 

Thanks I'll go with the strange green tiles now. 

However, I'm not so sure the ground floor frontage is worked Portland stone (a white-grey limestone) used a lot in prestigious local buildings (possibly like the one left below) and used to face St Olafs House - it looks more like slabs of a cheap creamy cut and polished aggregate veneer.

attachicon.gifImage crop 2.jpg

G.

If you have a printer and a simple graphics package  there are sites that have downloadable texture files that look very realistic when resized to scale, eg:

https://www.textures.com/browse/tiles/2448

You register for free and textures are free if you only use the smaller examples, which is all I have ever needed. Choose the 'seamless' patterns and you can tile the file to produce an area as big as you need to print off on decent paper - its kind of like 'scalescenes' brick paper  for tight-ar5es.

If you have a printer and a simple graphics package  there are sites that have downloadable texture files that look very realistic when resized to scale, eg:

https://www.textures.com/browse/tiles/2448

You register for free and textures are free if you only use the smaller examples, which is all I have ever needed. Choose the 'seamless' patterns and you can tile the file to produce an area as big as you need to print off on decent paper - its kind of like 'scalescenes' brick paper  for tight-ar5es.

That looks an interesting site with a good range of finishes - thanks. There's certainly some of the marble tiles that look like the shop front panels.

I do have a printer but I can't remember the last time I printed something on it. I got fed up with continually purchasing expensive ink which only seemed to be supplied in minute quantities making it dearer that liquid gold. I don't even know if it works as a printer now and only use it for scanning.

G.

I think the next building to make will be Aston Webb house. It's the next one along Tooley Street (eastward) from Battlebridge House so will be another low relief one at the back of the layout. Fortunately it still exists - one of a very few buildings to survive the London Bridge City 'More' development. Originally the building was the offices for a brewery/distillers (located behind it) but fell in to disrepair and dereliction when the company ceased trading and was later converted in to apartments.

With the round corner towers topped with witches hat conical roofs and central open courtyard, it has something of a French chateau look. However, it was designed by Sir Aston Webb, an English architect, who also designed notable buildings such as Buckingham Palace and the V and A, and was founding chairman of the London Society - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Society_(organisation). 

post-33-0-06201300-1519383150.jpg

Next for a little research, undertaking some sketch designs and thinking through the build methodology.

G.

• Like 5

Really enjoying your thread - the historical background research to model railways is fascinating whether highly detailed, as in your case, or more tenuous for some of the fictional interpretations elsewhere on the Forum.

Marlyn

• Agree 1