Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

• RMweb Gold

Some one here is trying to do the same in 12inch/1foot scale! https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-london-uk-07th-july-2014-bomb-sites-and-vintage-scenes-are-being-created-71534527.html

Edit - I was actually trying to be helpful and find a domestic scale, non-WW2 bomb-aftermath, derelict site. You are right. There ain't much out there. There are masses of the WW2 bomb damage photos - but almost all show the immediate damage, not the sites, as left for decades afterwards.

Edited by phil_sutters

Just a little gentle modelling this morning - it probably doesn't look like anything has been done. But windows fitted in the building in Holyrood Street and test ones fitted in the dilapidated older warehouse with some corrugated boarding up - hopefully it looks okay. Plus the iron hoist. There's still plenty to do but there's no rush.

post-33-0-77779800-1524318467_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 9

Looking good as always! There's an apparently inaccessible space between the white-painted wall and the rickety board fence - I suppose such things happen but wouldn't it fill up with fly-tipped junk?

I don't know what the space is for although there is access to it through double doors in the white wooden wall near the stairs - you should be able to see their outline if you click on the pic to get a larger higher resolution image. The space just looks like a patch of rough ground, some grass/weed growth, some mud and some rubbish. I've yet to attempt to model it.

G

As well as a number of skips (BHE fold up etched brass kits which IMO are better than the cast white metal and resin ones available from other suppliers) I've got a few other building-site scene-setting models as can be seen here. They're not glued in a final position and only on display in this pic. I'm not even sure I will use them but the generator is an N Brass loco etched kit, and the cement mixer and dumper truck are white metal kits while the portaloo is a RTP Hornby Lyddle end jobbie (IIRC). I've also got some Knightwing Portakabin Pacemaker kits. :

post-33-0-73237900-1524328935_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 7

Although the two buildings are far from finished and there's still plenty of details to make and add, the back of that project is now broken and I'm starting to think about the next. I'm trying to pluck up courage to make a mould of the viaduct arches so that I can cast multiples in resin.

I'll probably need to make two or three different ones: one with the complex fancy architecture and windows, one more basic type for the simpler occupation arches, and a third for the wall extension on top of the main ones that support the trainshed roof. I've got a number of photos from which I should be able to work out a design compromise (as there are many different ones) and the sizes necessary. I need to find a few envelopes with clear backs to sketch up some ideas. ;-)

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what the space is for although there is access to it through double doors in the white wooden wall near the stairs - you should be able to see their outline if you click on the pic to get a larger higher resolution image. The space just looks like a patch of rough ground, some grass/weed growth, some mud and some rubbish. I've yet to attempt to model it.

G

Oh yes I see now. I do like the weathering on the skip.

You fairly crack on with your modelling, Graeme! I always have to fit mine in between so many other things. Still love the detail and the research you put into each building project!

Marlyn

I can't remember if I've posted any of these pics before but here are some of the viaduct arches that I need to consider - and of course much of it has already been demolished or clad in modern plastics. The designs need to be distilled down to a few types (hopefully just the three I mentioned) while retaining the character and atmosphere. And the other thing to carefully work out is the various heights required and levels necessary. Obviously those on the far side and facing the back-scene that won't be able to be seen can be simplified.

post-33-0-36590600-1524391303_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-25359300-1524391322.jpg

post-33-0-12549200-1524391338_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-87923900-1524391364_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

Nothing much has done in the last few days apart from some work on the NGS Journal and a visit to the doctors to confirm I've an infection in the surgery wound that was carried out nearly two weeks ago and started bleeding just before the weekend (so now I'm on penicillin).

Nonetheless, I've been looking at the viaducts and have decided to start with making just two mould masters (the third can wait until when I get a better idea of what is required and how successful they are). The two will be the sections of three arches that form the front viaduct and train-shed wall on top. The bottom ones will have open arches as they have various infill uses (it should be easy to put brick plasticard behind to block in where necessary or form doors, windows or whatever) and the top panel will be fully bricked as in the real ones. Here's a rough sketch of the bottom open arched version - I now need to work out sizes.

post-33-0-99584400-1524563903_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

I've drawn up a full sized plan of the first mould pattern based on estimated dimensions. I've just now got to work out in my mind the best build sequence and the edge overhangs to make assembly of a run easy in that they butt together without much fuss. I'd prefer to cut/file bits off the casting rather than having to make and add small bits where they overlap.

G

• Like 1

I was out all day yesterday so it's eyes down today to make a start. And here, having worked out the size required, I've started to cut the main wall section and the three arches. The round tops were cut using a compass cutter (see pic in post #672 on page 27):

post-33-0-92867700-1524741982_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 5

I've been slowly cutting and sticking bits on to build up the relief - nothing revolutionary. I've simplified the design to make it easier to model and for being able to cast it but hopefully it'll still capture the look and atmosphere of the real arches. There's still a lot of details to add and obviously I'll need to thickened it up for casting:

post-33-0-39143800-1524750659_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

And a little more cutting and sticking and it's start to look like what it should, and a reasonable match to my scale drawing, although there is still more to add:

post-33-0-58172400-1524755817_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 8

I've got the sides on and given it a coat of grey primer. Now I can spend a little time carefully going over it to check, fill where necessary, file and tidy up ready to produce a RTV mould from it. But I need to order some fresh mould and casting chemicals for that.

post-33-0-33005000-1524767494_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 13

Nice work as always Grahame,

Out of interest, what have you used for the corbels?

Thanks.

They're cast white metal. I purchased a lot quite a few years back from a trader at an exhibition. There's several styles but they come in sets of three on one sprue/feed. I can't remember the make and I've just got them in a plain plastic bag.

G

Thanks.

They're cast white metal. I purchased a lot quite a few years back from a trader at an exhibition. There's several styles but they come in sets of three on one sprue/feed. I can't remember the make and I've just got them in a plain plastic bag.

G

They might be from Langley models range of building details.

The amazon (US) link https://www.amazon.com/Langley-Models-Decorated-Corbels-UNPAINTED/dp/3598218575 has a picture. There's no picture on Langley's own website

They might be from Langley models range of building details.

The amazon (US) link https://www.amazon.com/Langley-Models-Decorated-Corbels-UNPAINTED/dp/3598218575 has a picture. There's no picture on Langley's own website

Yes, that looks like them, although I recall the sprues of three were loose (in a box rather than packed in small bags) and I purchased a couple of handfuls. They've been very handy and I've used them on many buildings over the years so I don't have a lot left now.

G

I was out all day yesterday at the Epsom Exhibition (a very good show as usual) and visiting friends so no modelling work was undertaken. And today I've taken things easy. Rather than start on a new master for another section of the viaduct wall/arches I've just added a few details to the warehouse building site model - guttering and downpipes and the rear site wall.  This is just simple painted cardboard as much of it won't be able to be easily seen, but here's a revealing pic showing the lack of internal walls and stairs for the section of building being demolished:

post-33-0-90820100-1525016519_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll start anything new tomorrow as I'm due back at hospital on Tuesday and I think I'll wait the out come of that. However, I have ordered fresh RTV mould and resin casting chemicals. Hopefully they turn up later in the week when I'm home.

G.  

• Like 9

While having a relaxing day and doing very little I thought I'd lay out some of the buildings I've been making (none are completed) on some large sheets of mount card that I currently have to get a rough overview of the scene:

post-33-0-51648500-1525037637_thumb.jpg

The black line is where the viaduct, with the railway on, will run, while Tooley Street runs along the back in front of Hays galleria, Battlebridge House (the white building) and Aston Webb House. And here's an end view:

post-33-0-10109300-1525037726_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 11