Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

I'm a bit undecided about whether to make the main outer walls from styrene sheet or mountboard card.

The windows looked pretty much flush glazed so plasticard would be an advantage but it is more difficult to cut out the windows and I don't think any of the sheets I have are big (long) enough so would need a join. Mountboard card, on the other hand, is easy to cut and will more readily allow indenting to replicate the panel joints, plus I've sufficient sized sheets and the deeper window reveals, while not being so prototypical, will allow them to be painted to look like frames.

Decisions.

G

I've decided on using the card rather than plastic - that way I can crack on with some modelling. And the building will be at the back of the layout as part of the backscene, behind other buildings and the railway viaduct, so isn't exactly a feature statement.

I've added the floors, changed the blade to a fresh one and started cutting the windows. I've made them a little narrower than perhaps they ought, and have left out a couple of columns to help with the compression needed and reduce the number of windows to cut out.

post-33-0-54066100-1537186128_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 9

Good idea, although I'd thought about using vinyl cut on a plotter cutter (I've got one) over clear styrene but to be honest I find manual cutting easier and quicker than fiddling with programes either for the plotter or to manipulate and produce a suitable print (and my printer hasn't any ink and is rather unreliable). I did once, many years ago, print one of those download programmes on a sheet of self adhesive label paper but about a year later it was starting to peel off and curling at the corners. 

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have spotted a couple more shots which may or may not help. They were in my Southwark Needle file among my Public Art in Southwark folder. I have several photos of the NW corner of the building where the glazing is completely different, but I guess that will be out of sight.

post-14351-0-25658200-1537190021_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-98288600-1537190039_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good idea, although I'd thought about using vinyl cut on a plotter cutter (I've got one) over clear styrene but to be honest I find manual cutting easier and quicker than fiddling with programes either for the plotter or to manipulate and produce a suitable print (and my printer hasn't any ink and is rather unreliable). I did once, many years ago, print one of those download programmes on a sheet of self adhesive label paper but about a year later it was starting to peel off and curling at the corners. 

G.

Hi

If its one of the Silhouette cutting machines you can buy plotter pens for it.

https://www.yolo.co.uk/silhouette-sketch-pens---starter-kit-x24-1332-p.asp

Cheers

Paul

I've now cut the windows in the front facing wall, given it a dusting of primer and then sanded it down to remove any hairy bits, etc. Just need to give it a coat of paint (a suitable pinky/brown grey aerosol would be fine), pick out the reveals with silver paint (a close look shows they are shiny steel framed), draw on the panel lines and stick some plastic glazing behind.

post-33-0-32141700-1537190759_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 7

I have spotted a couple more shots which may or may not help. They were in my Southwark Needle file among my Public Art in Southwark folder. I have several photos of the NW corner of the building where the glazing is completely different, but I guess that will be out of sight.

attachicon.gifCIMG7896.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG7169.JPG

Thanks. Do you know when that needle was put there? I've a feeling that it's quite modern.

G, 

For the second, lower block I'm thinking of taking a slightly different approach to the construction. As it is not tall and narrow I think I'll partly revert to an open backed carcass, but as it has minimal depth (against the backscene) I'll simply cut the frontage then add the flank walls and internal floor to the back.

G

And here's the frontage for the 'other' block of the structure:

post-33-0-24537500-1537256239_thumb.jpg

Not only is the building a fairly straightforward and plain structure (no fiddly architectural features although with lots of windows) I'm also keeping it simple - as Allen Downes used to say no need to model what you can't see and this building will mostly be hidden by Colechurch House at the back of the layout.

• Like 1

Yep, a solid 6.5 hours of sleep last night and longer in bed with some reading.

While I sup from a nice pot of tea, I've cut and glued the sides, roofs and internal floors on/in. It shows the narrow depth which lines up with St Olafs house (that'll be to it's right). The angled wall is obviously not glued in place as the windows need cutting out and there is another small lower section between it and the right hand end that'll I'll add just a the thickness of card.

post-33-0-53034100-1537259943_thumb.jpg

I need to go out later this morning for some shopping. I'll also stock up on some more primer from Halfords and see if there is a suitable pinky-grey-brown car colour for use on the walls.

G.

• Like 3

And the basic structure is now complete and ready for detailing, painting and glazing:

post-33-0-95884100-1537263855_thumb.jpg

Next it's back to the main taller tower to get that to the same stage. But first I'm off out for a little shopping. Urhhhh.

G.

• Like 5

And just before I pop out here's a snap of how they line up with St Olafs House on the right - all are low relief against the backscene. There will an atrium connecting the two towers of No1 London Bridge: 

post-33-0-73756300-1537264733_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 15

The closest to pink granite that I could find was Ford Coral Beige (I'm not sure who would buy a car in that colour). I've tested it out on the top section of the lower block and it looks rather like magnolia beige than coral. But oddly, although not brown/dark enough for the more distance photos, it actually seems quite close to those on Google street view. I'll stick with it and no doubt it'll improve when I've added some matt varnish and dusted a little grey over to give a misty distance look.

I also painted the windows reveals for the top three (across) by three (down) windows on the left section (below) in silver but, TBQH, it doesn't really show and being at the back of the layout probably wouldn't be noticed. Therefore I'll save the effort and time having to carefully paint the edges of over 200 windows without getting any paint on the surface and not bother with it. The close up picture is a little cruel:

post-33-0-95155900-1537275095_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

Here's a quick pic showing how much of the two No1 London Bridge buildings can be seen at the back of the layout behind Colechurch House. On the left is Bridge House which is across Boro High Street/London bridge which is at a higher level to correspond with the door level on it and the walkway level on Colechurch House:

post-33-0-75239700-1537275973_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Here's a quick pic showing how much of the two No1 London Bridge buildings can be seen at the back of the layout behind Colechurch House. On the left is Bridge House which is across Boro High Street/London bridge which is at a higher level to correspond with the door level on it and the walkway level on Colechurch House:

It's looking brilliant and very reminiscent of an area I know well. I know this view from bing isn't from quite the same angle but I've cropped it to similar positions on the buildings and really shows how good your model gives the impression of the place even with the selective compression that you've put in...

post-13426-0-58352800-1537285047_thumb.png

It must be about time to put some busses on a bridge :)

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 3

Here's the evening update regarding No1 London Bridge

I've now cut the final side wall and all the windows out for the tall tower. The three wall panels (not yet glued in place) and the other tower have now got the base coral beige colour on but there is some contrast panels to be painted near the top of each. I've also made and added the roof structures (the one on the smaller tower can be seen although the other is bigger as the roof area is larger) but they need some details adding. Plus I've knocked up a trial/test atrium from cardboard that joins the two sections. I'll need to remake it in clear plastic, but that will have to wait for now:

post-33-0-10840000-1537303994_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 9