Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

• RMweb Gold

For future reference some casters recommend putting it on (not in!) a spin dryer for that. A few minutes good shaking should shift all but the most stubborn bubbles.

• Informative/Useful 1

A good idea, but blimey, spin drier, that's an old fashioned term. These days the spin operation is part of a washing machines operation cycle. And my machine is integrated under the work top.

G.

Crikey, launderette, are there still such places? :O

I haven't seen one for years.

:scratchhead:

G. 

My nearest town has a launderette which expanded into the shop next door a couple of years back.  We also have a pawnbrokers again, although it trades under a more modern title.  Who will be the first to model a food bank as a sign of the times?

Tony Comber

For future reference some casters recommend putting it on (not in!) a spin dryer for that. A few minutes good shaking should shift all but the most stubborn bubbles.

I used to work in a dental laboratory, and we had small table-top vibrating machines to bring the air bubbles to the surface of the plaster moulds. Apologies, I have no idea what they were actually called - we just called them "vibrators". Probably best not to Google that though...

• Funny 2

A good idea, but blimey, spin drier, that's an old fashioned term. These days the spin operation is part of a washing machines operation cycle. And my machine is integrated under the work top.

G.

Get a towel, the bigger the better; soak in water, wad it up and jam it into the machine; switch on the spin cycle. With an unbalanced load like that, your whole kitchen will shake, let alone the worktop.

Jim

Still loads to do just for this small corner. On top of the walling so far modelled is a dwarf wall, that I need to make and add, that supports the roof cross beams/girders. The blue card in the pic below temporarily represent the glazing at the end of the train-shed, presumably erected to fence in the top section and prevent wind blowing through. It's something else to make.  

post-33-0-31331200-1547813392_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 12

The train-shed brick wall is now up to its full height. Track height will be on the first viaduct wall section (roughly where the ramp leads to). On top will sit lattice girders that support the roof (as in the temp mock up below). This is only one third of the width - one of the two outers sides with rectangular tent shaped sky-lights and the centre section with a domed glass roof - and, of course, just a very small section of its length. I've added a few of the basic colour blocks but it needs detail painting and a fair bit of grubbying down and weathering:

post-33-0-37515400-1547831545_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-82341200-1547832009_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 9

I've dirtied down the walling so here's another pic showing that and also (again) showing the perspective and height comparison with Southwark Towers (so much to do . . . . ). Please excuse the pic - the model is photographed on the dining sideboard :

post-33-0-91047200-1547976196_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 12

Moving east along St Thomas Street and the viaduct/train-shed wall there are three more sections before there is an angled bend. I'll be reducing the number of panels to two more (four in total instead of five in reality) before the angle to accommodate the compression required. The last lower section is an arch over Weston Street and this will need to be made with the others (upper train shed wall and lower viaduct arches) formed from my cast resin panels. The photo below show the angled corner with Weston Street just in view.

post-33-0-19088900-1547997169_thumb.jpg

This is the view (below) in the other direction (westward) towards the angled corner in the distance showing the extent of the train-shed walling on top of the viaduct arches:

post-33-0-03908600-1547997237_thumb.jpg

I'll be next making a start on the panel with the arch over Weston Road and the two panel section to the angle: 

post-33-0-63884100-1547997301_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 11

And with a bit of grey primer on it doesn't match up too bad despite having to use different brick plasticard for some of it. With some paint and dirtying down it should blend together even better:

post-33-0-12950800-1548004834_thumb.jpg

That's it for today - I've got some cooking to do now.

G

• Like 8

This morning I've cast a couple more train-shed wall sections. The rapid curing time of the resin means it doesn't take long and it seems that as the mould gets used the definition gets better (probably just me thinking that). Now they'll need some fettling to fit together along with another one and on the lower viaduct wall to form a three (long) panel section with an angled bend in it:

post-33-0-33456100-1548057142_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 4

Not much modelling done in the last day or so - plenty of other chores. But I've got the top dwarf wall section on, primed it and base colour painted:

post-33-0-11803600-1548165673_thumb.jpg

G

Edited by grahame
  • Like 5

G.

I still have a spin dryer Grahame, as I prefer hand washing for some things, but don’t think I’d use it for modelmaking! Your casting technique is working really well for this section of your model! Not been on the Forum much for a while but enjoying catching up with your progress.

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

I've painted the details (not much to do or a great deal of effort) of the second section and added some dirt. I'm pleased that it matches the first section of walling very well and the two clip together to make the join almost invisible. Here's a moody shot of the second section taken in daylight from the window this morning and with no artificial light - quite a long exposure. It gives a different look and flattens the colours: 

post-33-0-64084400-1548411548_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I seem to have the train-shed wall and viaduct arches cracked and I can't really continue to make a long wall (until I've a layout to put it on) so I'll be giving that project a rest for now. And think about the next one to tackle.

Some of the structures are major modelling efforts and will need to be made to fit - such as the trainshed roof, the forecourt canopy, the through station viaduct, and so on. I'd prefer to make something that doesn't impinge on the fit of the infrastructure so they're out for now. Something I'm considering is a start on the through platform station buildings - basically toilets, snack bars and waiting rooms really. They're quite small (well narrow) and self-contained with mainly the fit of the canopies to consider (but I assume that would be quite straight-forward. Snag is I don't have many reference pics from the era I'm trying to cover and having previously scoured the internet it seems not many people took photos of London Bridge station platform buildings in the 80s and 90s.

I do have these (and a few others), but I might need to make up a lot of the design. And of course they need to be compressed to fit the reduced length platforms (and not overwhelm them) as well as take in to account the curvature and width of the platforms:

post-33-0-60097700-1548413014_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-83519100-1548413081.jpg

post-33-0-09754700-1548413114.jpg

post-33-0-83105000-1548413374_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 2