Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Having looked at all the reference material I’ve managed to amass and that has been supplied, they seem to be fairly basic narrowish rectangular blocks, almost modular in design and don’t look like they changed much over time with just the brown tiles painted white and up-to-date adverts/signs on them (until they were demolished with the latest station re-building). Therefore, I’ve decided to make four, two at around 45ft and two at around 55ft which should be sufficient for my needs taking in to account the necessary evils of compression.

The aim is to capture the character and atmosphere of the station in the 1980s/1990s. To a large extent they will be hidden under the canopies and behind the terminus station trainshed and the concourse/forecourt roof so AFAIC they don’t need to be drop dead accurate replicas. I started with my usual construction technique of cutting and gluing mountboard card for the carcass.

DSCN0252.JPG.51dd6623d86abd28b7228b54722175dd.JPG

DSCN0254.JPG.503e7e318a66f97fdadab3eb9ea9bfcf.JPG

DSCN0255.JPG.0d1bbada540beb86a1d0c83298053bd5.JPG

G

• Like 4

Here's the basic simple card carcasses (next to the footbridge stairways that I made some time ago) assembled ready for cladding and detailing:

DSCN0258.JPG.0e62958b08236bb91bf38050c594de3c.JPG

Plain plasticard was added as cladding to represent the tiling and leave reveals for the window and door frames as well as the lower section. Half round strip was added to the lower section to represent the trolley rubbing strakes.

DSC_7596.JPG.fe6a35c34c80aa412de45a93a9e80cac.JPG

G

• Like 12

Ooo, I notice the visits/views has clicked over the 88,888 figure. Thanks to all who have visited this thread and even more welcome added a comment or reply.

Anyway a little progress with the station platform buildings (kiosks?). I've now added the 'tiling' cladding to all four - it's a little tedious trying to work on four, keeping them all roughly at the same stage and looking very similar. I've kept the 'tiling' as pain smooth plasticard as I've nothing suitable that is embossed/etched and in pics of the real things it is difficult to see that they are tiled. Plus it would probably be difficult to keep the rows lined up and horizontal along the length of the buildings.  And the plainer walls will be covered in advertising and notice frames as well as various signs, trunking and cabinets.

I've also started adding paint, but just on two to start with. The tedious bit is having to go back and repeat it on the other examples.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, milepost48 said:

here a couple of pics of an American industrial building I just have finished.

Paul

Impressive and dominating. I like the grubby windows of different hues.

G

Edited by grahame

Here's a pic of progress, not much but a little. The red sign is not fixed in place and is in effort to be redolent of the old 'Quick Snack' branding. The phone booth is a KX100 type - an etched kit that I made some time ago. They were first introduced in 1985 with the yellow dotted T logo before the prancing piper logo was used from the early 1990s for privatisation. I've ordered a 3D printed canned coke/drinks machine from Shapeways (just before the prices go up in a day or two but still rather expensive) to go there and the phone box will be used at the end of another of the platform buildings.

The whole thing is relatively tiny, around the height of a tuppence piece standing on its edge as shown below. And it'll be mostly hidden under the platform canopy as well as behind the trainshed and concourse roof :

DSC_7599.JPG.67855914a56162a2a3c17399edb7533b.JPG

G.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 2/2/2019 at 9:07 AM, grahame said:

Here's a pic of progress, not much but a little. The red sign is not fixed in place and is in effort to be redolent of the old 'Quick Snack' branding. The phone booth is a KX100 type - an etched kit that I made some time ago. They were first introduced in 1985 with the yellow dotted T logo before the prancing piper logo was used from the early 1990s for privatisation. I've ordered a 3D printed canned coke/drinks machine from Shapeways (just before the prices go up in a day or two but still rather expensive) to go there and the phone box will be used at the end of another of the platform buildings.

The whole thing is relatively tiny, around the height of a tuppence piece standing on its edge as shown below. And it'll be mostly hidden under the platform canopy as well as behind the trainshed and concourse roof :

DSC_7599.JPG.67855914a56162a2a3c17399edb7533b.JPG

G.

But you will know it is there. I have the same thing with my lamp hut interior. Filing cabinet with draw open with files in it. All in oo. 

I've been a little busy with other things (including a visit to the Horace Walpole art exhibition at Strawberry Hill House) so modelling has been limited to fiddling around with detailing items for the platform buildings. First I've painted some 3D prints of drinks vending machines purchased from Shapeways - a canned soft drinks ones and hot drinks coffee/tea dispensers. The problem with photographing them is just how much it shows up my dodgy detail painting like the buttons and so on. But they are very small being less than the height of a 5p piece standing on it's edge.:

DSC_7615.JPG.ebbd438df0f6bce6ce638a6b615f2549.JPG

Secondly is making some station sign/advert frames for the building walls. Again they're small but also quite tedious to make - perhaps I'll just stick the gluing the ads/notices directly to the walls :

DSC_7614.JPG.00f315aea76cc8e5c4349a1679d182eb.JPG

G

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I think I still have the sheets of scanned posters on my PC which I reduced for Kensington Olympia if you’d like them. Includes London network maps too if I remember correctly.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75679-kensington-olympia-in-n-scale/&do=findComment&comment=1547081

Edited by acg5324
Added link
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

I think I still have the sheets of scanned posters on my PC which I reduced for Kensington Olympia if you’d like them. Includes London network maps too if I remember correctly.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75679-kensington-olympia-in-n-scale/&do=findComment&comment=1547081

Yes, please - that'd be fantastic.

G

• RMweb Premium

Excellent, they will need resizing, can’t remember how small I made it to print. Whilst standard posters seem easy to find on the Interweb the poster hoardings seem very difficult especially for the 1970s and 80s. 

22 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Hi Grahame,

Really enjoying he thread. This popped up on my youtube feed this morning and thought it may be of interest. Show some of the surrounding buildings which may be of help.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks. Some great station atmosphere and NSE slammers action.

G

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Number Six said:

Long time no post. Everything OK Grahame?

I think so. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of things (other than modelling) going on in my life at the moment. But thanks for enquiring.

G.

• Friendly/supportive 6

I seem to be inundated with things other than modelling but here is a little project that I recently undertook which is basically a Kestrel plastic kit (3-storey town shops).

It's was an exercise in kit bashing to produce something a bit more individual - although the finished building is of no use to me. The only bits that I ended up using were the front and back elevations and windows (which are rather chunky). The sides, roof and chimney stacks were made from card (covered with embossed plasticard and Redutex) to beef up the building as Kestrel kits are often considered to be a little under scale (for N/2mm). Model Rail magazine were interested in a write-up so it will probably be featured in a future issue of it.

The pic below shows the finished building on the right with a bus to give a sense of scale. The part built structure on the left is made from the unused parts to show the difference in sizes.

94985802_Kestrel17.JPG.3b43ea6c6a5a4ba9d577009fdb8d52c5.JPG

G

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After very little progress on the buildings for the layout project over the last few weeks (due to various reasons) I've finally got around to starting to finish off the ramp/corner section of the terminus station and have added the windows/glazing to the 1970s re-built section of the bombed corner over Stainer Street. The window frames should be black/dark (according to monochrome pics) but the white makes them stand out and provides a nice contrast whereas a dark colour would get lost. And white is a lot easier as they were simply cut from self adhesive labels which saves painting. It's probably also worth mentioning, but even at the small N/2mm scale, the length of this structure is over 16" - a lot bigger than many buildings on most N layouts.

DSC_7666.JPG.7888fd906962cae1175a203444f30627.JPG

G

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• 3 weeks later...