Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

13 hours ago, grahame said:

Today I've painted the wooden planked decks of the four wagons. Wood ages to a grey colour, rather than brown, as can be seen on this pic from Martyn Read's website: 

KFA_95288_MODA_Totton_310707a

Hopefully, I've been able to capture at least a bit of the variegated look and colour. When there are loads in place any inaccuracies will be less obvious:

DSC_0160red.jpg.ad5a748f046e524b80f780be23c48229.jpg

Looks spot on to me Grahame.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

A package from the NGS arrived this morning which included two Saxon APC kits, another Warwell wagon kit and transfers. First deployed in 1983 they were considered battlefield taxis and based on a Bedford M series 4x4 truck chassis. Here's the Saxons as supplied - simple lightweight resin models. They shouldn't take more than a few minutes to assemble.

DSC_0161red.jpg.c54a276d5db741a8551e9daf479935ac.jpg

• Like 5

The Saxons were cleaned up (there was very, very little flash to be removed), the five wheels superglued on to each, then given a scrubbing with cream cleaner, rinsed in warm water, dried and given a dusting of grey primer:

DSC_0163red.jpg.ae7b3fb5b200b91023f2c650eaaa7016.jpg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, grahame said:

The Saxons were cleaned up (there was very, very little flash to be removed), the five wheels superglued on to each, then given a scrubbing with cream cleaner, rinsed in warm water, dried and given a dusting of grey primer:

DSC_0163red.jpg.ae7b3fb5b200b91023f2c650eaaa7016.jpg

Looking good, Grahame! Do you use a rattle can for the primer? I've used Halford,s grey primer for various purposes, but I'm hesitant about using it on n-gauge models in case it clogs the detail.

Jim

Halfords grey primer - just dust on several thin coats. Keep the spray moving and don't linger in one place. And shake well before use.

It will only clog details if you over apply and let the paint unnecessarily build up. I've not had any problems - the Saxons look fine to me and they're resin castings which can have 'soft' details.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Base colour and disruptive camouflage now on this morning. Looks like it needs a little touching up then picking out the tyres, exhaust and lights:

DSC_0168red.jpg.24eeb71c0d6a8ff5d08f62cf8a2d9eca.jpg

Then, hopefully, they'll look something like this:

saxon-apc-97-kf-86.jpg.8937975c0f583d3cc3308903c06202fc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I painted the tyres with some Ammo Mig acrylic paint 'rubber and tyres' that I'd picked up in the local model shop a while ago. But it was very light grey . . .  so I had to mix up something darker and re-paint all the wheels again (damn). I had checked out pics of real Saxons and their tyres range from black:

489941810_darktyre.jpg.c3a352cfddbed90ace74c092fd599721.jpg

to light:

1269694344_lighttyre.jpg.c2596451e7f8b8eaccee406e4a3688cf.jpg

or even multi shade :

1169500419_SaxonAPCyoung(3).jpg.d6cab481bbe96527a68ef6c0c181f34a.jpg

but I ended up with this, probably a mix of all three extremes and not as neatly painted as the original light grey :

DSC_0169red.jpg.1a591c525f78d1a1f8a3cc085c8337a2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The other thing that I've done this morning is to put together the second Warwell body - the experience and problems with the first one made it a lot easier to get the second one fitting better quicker:

DSC_0170red.jpg.2a8aba956295497b117e23c8e0eba987.jpg

It won't be a massively long train but eventually I'll have a military train with two Warwells loaded with Saxons APCs, three Warflats, two of which will have land rovers, and various appropriate vans (VEA, VDA, etc).

• Like 6

On 15/08/2020 at 09:34, grahame said:

I'm off out today, for the first time to meet few people socially since lockdown started (finger crossed), so won't be undertaking any modelling today. But here's a quick pic showing how the various sections 'clip' together while being built as separate manageable sub-assemblies. That makes them easier to handle, paint and detail. When they are finally positioned on the layout they will be permanently joined together and any obvious joint/joins hopefully disguised (with filler, weathering, road work patches, etc.,) :

DSC00244red.jpg.5afc6358a1c1fc92340d202cad7ccd2a.jpg

Hi Graham, just wanted to know a few details about the road / pavement building. Have you sprayed the road surface   using grey primer or is that just grey mountboard and what do you use to paint the paths that are not covered in the   scalescenes pavement paper?, thanks

16 hours ago, elttus said:

Hi Graham, just wanted to know a few details about the road / pavement building. Have you sprayed the road surface   using grey primer or is that just grey mountboard and what do you use to paint the paths that are not covered in the   scalescenes pavement paper?, thanks

The roads are just painted with Halfords grey primer from a rattle can. They need weathering, adding exhaust staining, oil deposits, etc., and Halfords primer does come in different grey shades depending on batch but that's not a problem as roads are often different colours - but usually lighter than depicted on many model railway layouts. The asphalt pavements are painted with acrylics. 

Edited by grahame
Correcting speeling chucker
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some relatively rapid progress on the second Warwell has seen the buffers trimmed off, drilled out and new ones added, the TOPs panel plates made and glued in place, the bogie pivot bushes added and the body given a coat of dark green. There's still the wood planking deck section to be painted and then they should be at the same stage:

576918277_2020-10-13-17_21.38ZSPMaxred.jpg.5627311ea2712803ecdd61c52470fc0e.jpg

• Like 9

Back to the bogies and brake wheels. Paul has kindly supplied me with some smaller etches that he had spare. Here I've test fitted one in the same hole that the larger one was fitted. And I must say that even if not in quite the correct position they are certainly more appropriately sized. Here's a comparison:

DSC_0198red.jpg.a30cd9bc8ba921b03ab667b6621ee152.jpg

Now just another 19 to fiddle with, mount on wire, paint and install *sigh*

But fortunately the end is now insight for when I'll have five completed military wagons (3x Warflat and 2x Warwell).  Although then it's the business of adding loads and tie down straps. It's taken more time and faffing than I thought.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/10/2020 at 09:50, grahame said:

It's taken more time and faffing than I thought.

But.......you've ended up with a train with your own stamp on it, which is much more interesting and  satisfying than just opening a new box and sticking it on the track IMHO. Thanks for letting us in on the build process which I found very enjoyable and interesting to follow.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to the Warwells - and some more faffing. I've now got the decals on them and given them a coat of matt varnish. There a few things left to do like chain down the loads, perhaps some weathering, painting the axle box covers and adding the bogie hand brake wheels. I've started fitting those the Warflats but not yet added their decals, while the Warwells have decals on but no hand brake wheels - yet. Anyway here's a gratuitous photo of the latest (should it be of interest):

DSC_0205red.jpg.05ef772662a939e7161780dc0e6cd2c3.jpg

• Like 12

The last of the new correct sized etched brake wheels have been mounted on wire spindles and painted - just a matter of drilling holes in the bogies side fames and pushing them in. That's two lots of 20 that I've now made - the first being oversized. And they're quite fiddly as I had to drill out the centres to accommodate the wire:

DSC_0206red.jpg.a0636296c3a9967e7afb39a51305a48f.jpg

The end of this military train project is now in sight. Phew.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The etched hand brake wheels (courtesy of Paul) are now fitted on the Warflat bogies (although yet to be fitted on the Warwells). Next is to tackle the Warflat decals  . . . . . 

DSC_0207red.jpg.a2b71864e587e355f30a5766389e6908.jpg

• Like 7

All the handbrake wheels and bodyside decals are on both Warflats and Warwells although not on the bogie sides (I'm not sure whether I'll bother with those). Also each Warflat kit is supplied with a set of decals but it seems that they only include two "Handbrake release both ends" legends whereas there ought be four - one at each end on both sides (according to the location diagram and photos). Anyway, here's another gratuitous photos for those not fed up with seeing pics of these wagons - but they're definitely getting closer to completion :

DSC_0209red.jpg.5f1204c2aae7f232b325f828f3c25d02.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And as a train . . . . (with a rather messed around photo)

Publication1.jpg.e11459214abedb8d7a4b75bd4ffcd83e.jpg

Although there is still a little to do, it's time to consider and start another modelling project . . . . 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

41 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Very nice. Is that 2mm society easitrac?

Thanks, and yes (it is).

But it's not part of a layout, rather a small scenic display stand made from foam board for photographing models.