Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

• RMweb Gold

Although it doesn't help you with your Borough High Street properties, here is a photo of the museum not shrouded in scaffolding and plastic sheet!

post-14351-0-63425400-1498492637_thumb.jpg

I do have one of the buildings a bit further down Borough High Street which could present a challenge that couldn't be solved with a sharp blade and a straight edge.

post-14351-0-86927900-1498492956_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Although it doesn't help you with your Borough High Street properties, here is a photo of the museum not shrouded in scaffolding and plastic sheet!

attachicon.gifThe Old Operating Theatre & Herb Garret 29 1 2009.JPG

Thanks. That's a good clear pic and is a building I need to make. I'll save a copy for future reference.

Apparently it was originally St Thomas church. It still looks quite like one.

G

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. That's a good clear pic and is a building I need to make. I'll save a copy for future reference.

Apparently it was originally St Thomas church. It still looks quite like one.

G

It was quite difficult to get a decent frontal view as St Thomas Street is quite narrow and the tower is tall - by some standards, but dwarfed originally by the Guys Hospital tower and now by the Shard.

Edited by phil_sutters

Not much more to report today. I think I've got all the necessary relief detail on the front and have given it base coat of paint and matt varnish. Any further details required can be paint effects.

214334.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Right, here we go with making a start on the next building along - the corner block (Borough High Street and St Thomas Street):

151252.jpg

I've been studying old photos, those I've taken (like above) and google maps aerial shots, and have sketched up a plan and front elevation to full size ready to start cutting card:

163716.jpg

G.

• Like 1

The first constructional steps are to form a framework, on which to hang the walls and decorate with architectural details, simply cut from 1.5mm mount card:

180552.jpg

G.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes, thanks. That's a great old photo.

That building (at 19 Boro High Street) in front of the PO had gone by the mid 70s. The building to the left of it was demolished about five years ago (which is the one I've just made) and the one on the far right (around the corner in St Thomas Street in front of the ward block) has also been replaced. Here's a photo taken from roughly from the same place last week. The tower in scaffolding is the old hospital operation theatre museum. Note that the shoe repairers on the corner is now a vaping shop - how times change :

151105.jpg

G

The shoe repairer's in fact sold a wide range of leather goods - wallets, belts, satchels, brief cases, key cases etc. Their windows were full of them. You couldn't see into the shop itself as far as I can remember, apart from through the glazed door panel.

I certainly can't dress it as a vaping shop - far too recent a fad. Perhaps the old cobblers shop can be resurrected but with an update.

And a start made, as the last bit of modelling effort today, on the front wall. It's not fixed in place as it is only the basic façade and there is still a lot of work to be done on it.

195821.jpg

G.

• Like 2

I've been adding some architectural details to the front elevation from styrene strip. It's not an absolute accurate rendering but hopefully is representational enough to pass muster as being of the real building. And once painted should blend together:

092949.jpg

G.

• Like 3

The roof sections are made as separate sub-assemblies like little tents from card frames and a covered with styrene sheet. Over the pitched sides will be stuck Redutex slate covering which is self adhesive (and the windows added to the flat roofed one): 

064700.jpg

When complete they will be glued in place but here they are simply placed to show how they fit:

065735.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4

Fantastic modelling Grahame, I like seeing the basic shell and buildings coming together. Have you built anything in other scales, I guess the techniques could be used for 4mm buildings?

Steve.

Fantastic modelling Grahame, I like seeing the basic shell and buildings coming together. Have you built anything in other scales, I guess the techniques could be used for 4mm buildings?

Thanks.

No other scales ATM. But I guess if I made them to bigger scales the same techniques would work although with more bracing and possibly thicker sheet material.

G.

I tend to make various sections of a building as sub-assemblies. This makes them easier to finish (paint, detail, etc) and particularly to allow the windows to be glazed as access from behind is very limited and often very small. However, I do regularly check the fit of them to ensure that it will all go together when ready.

124532.jpg

G.

• Like 2

The reddish brick rectangle in the previous photo is the back of the tower part of the building. I've not been able to find any photograph evidence of what the rear looked/looks like and the current Google aerial photography is rather vague, but fortunately it'll be mostly hidden by other buildings so just a few high level windows have been cut in it to suit some Scene-setters glazing bars: 

211240.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to start getting the base brick colour on various bits of the model.

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The reddish brick rectangle in the previous photo is the back of the tower part of the building. I've not been able to find any photograph evidence of what the rear looked/looks like and the current Google aerial photography is rather vague, but fortunately it'll be mostly hidden by other buildings so just a few high level windows have been cut in it to suit some Scene-setters glazing bars: 

211240.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to start getting the base brick colour on various bits of the model.

G.

Have you tried the 3D version of Google maps? This (if it works) does show some detail. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/London+Borough+of+Southwark/@51.5046378,-0.0891455,89a,35y,39.59t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48760398794427df:0x41185c626be6770!8m2!3d51.4834479!4d-0.0820877?hl=en

Not that it helps with this query, but are you aware that Southwark has a mapping service. There is an aerial view in 2010 or 2013,  http://maps.southwark.gov.uk/connect/southwark.jsp?tooltip=yes   You drag to move about and the zoom tool is on the left - all fairly obvious!

Edited by phil_sutters

Have you tried the 3D version of Google maps? This (if it works) does show some detail. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/London+Borough+of+Southwark/@51.5046378,-0.0891455,89a,35y,39.59t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48760398794427df:0x41185c626be6770!8m2!3d51.4834479!4d-0.0820877?hl=en

Not that it helps with this query, but are you aware that Southwark has a mapping service. There is an aerial view in 2010 or 2013,  http://maps.southwark.gov.uk/connect/southwark.jsp?tooltip=yes   You drag to move about and the zoom tool is on the left - all fairly obvious!

Thanks.

I've been using Google maps but I find it quite frustrating. As you zoom in, in both 2D and 3D modes, to inspect the detail it suddenly whooshes you down to ground level and dumps you in the street with a street view. The Southwark mapping service is interesting although it doesn't seem to have a 3D facility and is a shame there isn't an older version than 2010. BING has a map service with aerial and 3D view which tends to be not so up to date as Google but the pics seem more fuzzy.

G.