Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Finally got some paint on this morning after numerous interruptions. Every time I got the paint ready, mixed and thinned, the door bell or the phone rang - friends wanting a chat. The result is quite dark but I seem to remember buildings in the area being a lot grubbier for the era I'm hoping to replicate than they are now. Many these days get a blasting to clean them.:

113225.jpg

They've been given a quick blast of matt varnish.

G.

How it's starting to look, although the sub-assemblies are not yet ready to glue together:

121735.jpg

Window frames installed in the back wall from Scene-setters glazing bars:

121813.jpg

G.

• Like 5

Upper storeys shop windows now in place and the building is starting to look like a real one. But there is still a lot to do including the tower windows, shop fronts and dormer windows on the roof, then the details like alarm boxes, gutters and down pipes on the back, signs and shop details.

post-33-0-43708800-1499953407_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 5

I've started to think about modelling the shop fronts. I'd like to make them so that they represent how they were from the mid 70s to mid 90s if possible. I've found this pic on the web that looks about right - does anyone know from when it is? It certainly looks suitable:

105431.jpg

And here's a rough paper mock-up:

151108.jpg

G.
  • Like 4

Progress so far seems to go together well with the other buildings in Borough High Steet. Next to tackle will be those along the north side of St Thomas Street which will be the front of the layout. It's the old St Thomas's Hospital site and includes St Thomas Church (which contains the old operating museum) and the former railway offices.

post-33-0-25399700-1500037825_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 3

I've started to get some more of the windows in, the tower ones needed careful cutting the curves, and a little weathering on the Ward/PO building next door:

post-33-0-64152000-1500107340_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

Managed to get those little bits of Redutex in place:

r270_145952.jpg

While progressing the building I've also been starting to put together an N gauge white metal kit of an Austin K2/Y 'Katy' ambulance. The main assemblies (chassis, frames and body) have been put together but they have not yet been glued together - I'll probably paint them first:

150341.jpg

G.

• Like 4

I've got a problem - in that I get easily side-tracked. So I've been putting some paint on the K2/Y and fiddling with a 3D printed milk float (both N/2mm scale):

150343.jpg

G.

• Like 2

The retail premises at the bottom of the white tower (No 19) used to be a café - the White Cup Café - in the 1960s and the shop next door (No 21) was a tobacconist/confectioner. At that time the corner shop was a cobblers and still is although has recently added vaping to its repertoire of key cutting, leather goods/cutting and shoe repairs.

No 19 is now closed and boarded up, but prior to that was an employment agency (Reeds) although I'm not sure when it became that. No 21 was upgraded to a Newsagents, again I'm not sure when, and still is. Therefore, I'm not quite sure what type of shop to model No19 for the period mid 70s to mid 90s. No 21 will obviously be a newsagents and the corner shop a cobblers, but without the vaping connection.

G.

• RMweb Gold

The retail premises at the bottom of the white tower (No 19) used to be a café - the White Cup Café - in the 1960s and the shop next door (No 21) was a tobacconist/confectioner. At that time the corner shop was a cobblers and still is although has recently added vaping to its repertoire of key cutting, leather goods/cutting and shoe repairs.

No 19 is now closed and boarded up, but prior to that was an employment agency (Reeds) although I'm not sure when it became that. No 21 was upgraded to a Newsagents, again I'm not sure when, and still is. Therefore, I'm not quite sure what type of shop to model No19 for the period mid 70s to mid 90s. No 21 will obviously be a newsagents and the corner shop a cobblers, but without the vaping connection.

G.

Reeds started in business in May 1960. As a very central London location, it wouldn't surprise me if it opened in the early 1960s. I started in Southwark in 1966, although not in that part of the borough. I do remember it being there, but from when I can't say. They all had a similar corporate look, so grabbing a 1960s frontage, from almost anywhere, should give you the look of a typical branch and they didn't reinvent themselves as often as firms do now.

Reeds started in business in May 1960. As a very central London location, it wouldn't surprise me if it opened in the early 1960s. I started in Southwark in 1966, although not in that part of the borough. I do remember it being there, but from when I can't say. They all had a similar corporate look, so grabbing a 1960s frontage, from almost anywhere, should give you the look of a typical branch and they didn't reinvent themselves as often as firms do now.

Excellent, thanks.

A Reeds employment agency it is.

G.

Apologies for the lack of modelling updates but I've been concentrating on some 3D printed vehicles: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120165-3d-printed-road-vehicles/page-3 and I've been contemplating the next buildings to make. 

Next to the corner cobblers building along St Thomas Street (which will be the front of the layout) is is a relatively modern nondescript building which I'll construct later as it can be significantly reduced in length and compressed to fit. Behind it is the rear of the Ward Block/Post Office (for which I've made the end section but will need to make the centre section).

After the modern building is St Thomas' Church (which incorporates the old operating theatre museum and herb garrat). It's an interesting building with an interesting history (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Thomas%27_Church,_Southwark).See the photos earlier in this thread including one by Phil Sutters. Next to the former church are a series of fine Georgian looking buildings with a cobbled forecourt that were once the Railway Offices and are also on the site of the old hospital. I'll also need to make them:

post-33-0-09183100-1500553575_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-29656300-1500553587_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 1

I often compare a building during progress in constructing it with/against other buildings I've made to check that they all have an overall similar feel and look, the sizes are okay and the quality consistent. And, of course, that they will fit together as intended:

post-33-0-62973000-1500559511_thumb.jpg

Anyway, apart from that excuse to add the above pic, I've now set up the photo folders on my hard disk and put the relevant prototype pics in them. Progress model pics will also go in the appropriate building folders as construction develops. Next I need to check out on-line to size the models and sketch up the character drawings and plans.

G.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen the plans for the Science Gallery in Guys forecourt almost opposite these buildings? It's opening in 2018 and aims to bring art and medicine together. I saw it first in a copy of Southwark Life, the council's magazine, which a friend who still lives in London sent us. You cab see more about it here  https://london.sciencegallery.com/building  . I appreciate that it is of no relevance for your current project, but as someone interested in the area, I thought it may be of interest, if you haven't already come across it.

Edited by phil_sutters

Yes, I had read about the new science gallery/centre although at first I thought it was to be built on the old St Thomas's Hospital site where they have knocked down the building just east of the Georgian Railway Offices and in front of Fielden House (which has already been knocked down) before realising it was at Guys Hospital site across the road. Apparently another Renzo Piano skyscraper monstrosity is going up there (on the north side of St Thomas Street in front of the Shard):

post-33-0-34222300-1500631119_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-77614800-1500631190_thumb.jpg

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/places/st-thomas-street

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/aboutkings/orgstructure/ps/estates/Real-Estate-Development/current/ScienceGalleryplanning.aspx

G.

This is the building that was on that corner (St Thomas Street and Joiner Street). It looks quite modern (1980s/90s style) so does anyone have pics of what was there before?

post-33-0-27842900-1500632821_thumb.jpg

G.

Okay, here we go with a start on the tower of St Thomas's church - and I appreciate that some of the other buildings have not yet been completed.

It took a little while to work out the size, not just height but the foot-print to fit in with the other buildings (some already made and others yet to be constructed). As usual it's a mount board frame with brick embossed plasticard walls hung on. The front wall can't yet be glued in place to allow access for glazing:

post-33-0-17787100-1500657167_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 2

And the framework for the main part of the church building is easily and quickly made up from mount board. The only elevation with windows is at the front (right of the tower) and will be clad with appropriately detailed plasticard:

post-33-0-24332100-1500663910_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 1