Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

This morning I've knocked up the pitched roof 'tent' which will get covered with Redutex tiles. The tent, tower and main building are all separate sub-assembles that will not get glued together until detailed and finished;

post-33-0-18632600-1500707683_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just in case you need them here are a few detail photos of the tower.

post-14351-0-96185000-1500717270_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-70668300-1500717276_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-31502900-1500717283_thumb.jpg

This is one building I particularly look forward to seeing completed.

Although off your scene, you may be interested to know that a modeller, from Australia, recently asked me for permission to use my Le May Hop Factors frontage, to experiment with 3D laser sculpting. Should you ever need to explore that technique I can give you his contact details, with his permission of course.

Regards

Phil

This is one building I particularly look forward to seeing completed.

So no pressure then?

Don't forget I don't aim to make an exact scale replica but tend to compress and simplify with the aim of capturing the character and overall look. I'm not going to be accurately modelling the cherubs heads and masonry detail.

Although 3D sculpturing sounds impressive, I'm more of an impressionist modeller using traditional materials and techniques.

G.

• Like 2

I've been getting the architectural detail on this morning, but I'm not looking forward to tackling the pseudo quoins (they look like they are stuck on over the bricks which is what I'll be doing) - potentially very fiddly and repetitive;

post-33-0-81350500-1500797398_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 3

So no pressure then?

Don't forget I don't aim to make an exact scale replica but tend to compress and simplify with the aim of capturing the character and overall look. I'm not going to be accurately modelling the cherubs heads and masonry detail.

Although 3D sculpturing sounds impressive, I'm more of an impressionist modeller using traditional materials and techniques.

G.

Phil was talking about me - as I said a couple of days ago I am amazed at how you can break these buildings down to simple layers - and reconstruct them so accurately so quickly. I am really enjoying your thread.

As Phil said, I've been dabbling in 3D laser sculpting. I saw the cherubs on the pics Phil posted so I whipped this up - not sure how it would look in 2mm/ft.

post-22541-0-88036600-1500806509_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-89714400-1500805606_thumb.png

Thanks again for a brilliant thread.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

Phil was talking about me - as I said a couple of days ago I am amazed at how you can break these buildings down to simple layers - and reconstruct them so accurately so quickly. I am really enjoying your thread.

As Phil said, I've been dabbling in 3D laser sculpting. I saw the cherubs on the pics Phil posted so I whipped this up - not sure how it would look in 2mm/ft.

That's very impressive. Is it taken and rendered simply from the photo? The technology and techniques are certainly beyond my skills (and probably comprehension).

To get the cherubs to fit in my N/2mm church doorway pediments, they would need to be produced in a semi circle with a radius of 4mm. Is that doable with 3d sculpting?

post-33-0-24140800-1500809091_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 2

G'day Graham,

Yes its basically the result of a google search for 'cherub carvings', then choosing my favourite, importing that into gimp (ie photoshop for tight ar^^es),  turning it to greyscale and then  messing around with the brightness and contrast. Thats the bit that I've been working on. Phil sent my a hi-res picture of the pediment of a building he posted here - here is the result I posted on my emblaser laser cutter thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108310-darkly-labs-emblaser-affordable-laser-cutter-review/page-33&do=findComment&comment=2785207

and I've been fine tuning it all from there.

Re your question, anything is pretty much doable, I'm still experimenting but the fine details that are achievable at this early stage are impressive I reckon,

post-22541-0-05426300-1500812594_thumb.png

I haven't yet scaled anything down to 2mm scale but if you have anything you want tried out I'm more than  happy to give it a go, Your modelling is an inspiration.

Cheers,

Chris J

Edited by monkeysarefun

I think I've now got all the relief detail on the main building front wall so I've given it a quick blast of grey primer. The quoins are probably a little overscale but it does at least mean there are less for me to cut and there's a lot to do on the tower:

post-33-0-24204500-1500826947_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

I've also got the Redutex tiling on the pitched section of the roof although the sloping ridge/hip tiles need to be added:

post-33-0-17249200-1500828719_thumb.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4

Quoins are now fitted on the separate front tower wall - just three others to do (all that fiddly cutting out still to do . . .).

The 'bars' (louver slats?) behind the tower upper round topped openings are Evergreen siding which when painted black and the raised section dry brushed/painted with a lighter colour should look appropriate (hopefully).

post-33-0-09701700-1500885004_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 1

I think I've got on all the quoins and architectural details on now (excepting the top front coping) and can start to think about doors, windows and glazing. I did cheat on the rear wall of the tower with just straight edged quoin strips, but then it's also just a card back with no brick embossing and will be difficult to see.  Hopefully, the painting will also tie it together so the cheating is not obvious. I think painting can make or break a model. I'm hoping that I don't break mine.

post-33-0-37710100-1500905277_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 5

I've said it before and I'll say it again: You're work is fantastic! I really envy the skills you have in scratch building, wish I could produce structures of the same quality. My buildings would end up looking like remains from WW2 

Thanks.

But the 'skills' are only basic cutting, gluing and painting. There's nothing tricky or difficult like soldering, programming or lining. There's no metalwork, electrics or mechanics, and just basic tools required.

Accuracy and consistency comes with practice and experience. You're probably doing yourself a misservice saying you couldn't make similar. A little application and 'can do' should get you going, and no doubt soon you'll be making better buildings.

G.

• Like 1

I've started getting blocks of basic colour on. It's a little rough but I'll go around tidying and touching up later before any weathering and trying to accentuate the brick effect. I'll also be able to seal it with a coat of matt varnish before glazing. And then I'll be able to glue the separate walls in place (which will hopefully eradicate the gaps down the corners of the tower) and the sub-assemblies together:

post-33-0-93839900-1500971293_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 5

I've now got some colour on the church and have tried to replicate the vary variable brickwork. The lower section of the tower front wall and the main section frontage are yet to be fixed in place. They are loose to enable the glazing to be easily carried out. Fortunately as the building is no longer used as a church any coloured/stain glass is no longer present.

There are still also a few details to be added like the hip ridge tiles, some small dormer windows, a fancy skylight (behind the tower) and the doors but it's getting close to completion. Here's how it compares to Phil's photo of the real building. It's not an exact scale replica but hopefully it captures the character and look:

post-33-0-06809200-1500994311_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 8

Very nice Grahame one of Brunel's Vacuum pump house's would be a good project.  :good:

Unfortunately there isn't one in the layout area. But I did once make one of Hawkshaw's towers from Cannon Street station for a previous layout.

G

I've already started thinking about the next building to make which I've decided will be the modernish one between the corner cobblers shop building and St Thomas's Church. The Georgian style railway offices looks to be a big project and a fairly complex build, while the modern one looks easier to construct and fills the gap. I've knocked up a sketch and placed it between the building models to see how it looks. It is quite a bit reduced in length but I do need to ensure a certain amout of compression to get it all in:

post-33-0-93908900-1501013844_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6

I've knocked up the card framework for the new building from 1.5mm thich mount board. The main front wall will be one rectangle of clear plasticard hung on the side and decorated with the various window frames and panels:

post-33-0-50121300-1501058851_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, even with a much shortened length, I'll end up with something looking a little like and representative of the real building:

post-33-0-31716900-1501058899_thumb.jpg 

G.

• Like 3

A little bit of progress this morning. But I've made a mistake in gluing on the raised roof section on having cut out a doorway (on to the roof). Now I've got no access to install a door from behind. No big problem - perhaps I'll fit one that is slightly open:

post-33-0-21235300-1501067887_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4