Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

2 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

I made a small gate keepers / reception office for the Motorail terminal at Olympia which had a lot of glass. To get round this it was made entirely from clear plasticard with overlays. This should work for the bus shelters.

Very nice and particularly fine and compact. I've also used the technique of overlays on clear styrene for various structures and it can be very effective. I guess for the more modern mostly 'glass' bus stop shelters it would be very suitable. 

This only took five minutes of whittling a bit of styrene. It needs a little tidying up and slimming down plus adding a finial, stop flag and glazing the timetable window, but at the back of the layout it might be acceptable:

DSC_8938.JPG.7d1ff30ca8fd889b5a8beb4ad827ce74.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

For bus shelters, Kingsway Models have very kindly provided a free download.

These are previous Christmas downloads available for free personal use - not to be further distributed.

K201 bus shelters - wood & concrete versions. Similar to those in the LTS kit.

http://www.kingswaymodels.com/page27.htm

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

For bus shelters, Kingsway Models have very kindly provided a free download.

http://www.kingswaymodels.com/page27.htm

Thanks. I had seen those and although they're the wrong scale I guess they could be printed at a different size to suit. However, you need a printer and unfortunately currently that is something I've not got (or rather the one I've got is busted) ATM.

I carved the finial out of a bit of plastic rod. It's probably a little too chunky but will have to do until I can find anything more suitable. And the flag is a self adhesive NGS/Modelmaster effort but it looks a tad too small especially when trimmed to the route indicator square lines (hence the margin around them). But here's how they look:

DSC_8945.JPG.87279bd8d29945c50532135b6bbfb23f.JPG

Probably time to move on to something else.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

The 'move on to something else' is my first New Year's project and is to scratch-built an Interfrigo refrigerated ferry van. I appreciate that it is not a structure/building but was unsure where to post this. I had started a thread about them in the 'prototype questions' section last year (here :https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/146128-interfrigo-ferry-van/#comments) but now I've progressed to some actual modelling.

My 'plan' for the ferry wagons is to use the body as a master, produce a mould from it and then resin cast several. That way they will at least all be similar (unlike trying to make separate ones) and hopefully quicker, even if they display my dodgy, wonky and inaccurate building techniques. I've started on three chassis (not yet complete and the same is true for the body) so with luck I'll end up with a short rake of three.

In the pic below the main assemblies (roof, body, and chassis) are all separate and just resting on each other. There is still lots to do and add like roof end hatches, axle boxes, brakes, handbrake levers, dynamo, bottom door runner, ferry lashing hooks, sole bar steps, buffers, couplers, etc. I'm looking to add the handrails and the vertical door looking bars (from wire) and the end step/platforms after casting.

DSC_8981.JPG.5de538c32d4f2527a0f2bcff795d670e.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 2 January 2020 at 10:48, acg5324 said:

Nice job.......I’ll need to make some too. I made a small gate keepers / reception office for the Motorail terminal at Olympia which had a lot of glass. To get round this it was made entirely from clear plasticard with overlays. This should work for the bus shelters.

9C5F9FB8-8FD1-42C4-858B-C692C4B107AB.jpeg

4F94759C-05A8-44B0-B336-95911D816696.jpeg

C16B7B76-DE81-404A-A3A7-DDA71733E230.jpeg

770EA692-6F85-4DA4-B744-3F77766443BE.jpeg

Hi Andy, got a question about your ruler, hope you dont mind me asking but the markings look great and easy to read on it, I need a new one as was wondering where did you get it? 

Many thanks

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, sb67 said:

Hi Andy, got a question about your ruler, hope you dont mind me asking but the markings look great and easy to read on it, I need a new one as was wondering where did you get it? 

Many thanks

I’ve had it for many years......thought it might be from the long closed and sadly missed Turtles in Croydon.....but no....it’s marked Wilko in the middle. So Wilko / Wilkinsons. It’s made of Aluminium. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

I’ve had it for many years......thought it might be from the long closed and sadly missed Turtles in Croydon.....but no....it’s marked Wilko in the middle. So Wilko / Wilkinsons. It’s made of Aluminium. 

Thanks for that Andy.

Apologies Grahame for hijacking your thread.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Thanks for that Andy.

Apologies Grahame for hijacking your thread.

No problem. All helpful information is welcome.

I remember Turtles in Croydon. In fact I worked around the corner in the same block when it was still open.

• Like 2

I've made a new roof as I wasn't happy with the first effort. It was too peaky, wonky and each side slopes had melded in to one panel rather then the two at different angles. Here's the new effort that I'm more pleased with and have joined it to the body sides:

DSC_8985cr.jpg.6ccda4b617072ad80d7c045f4bea05df.jpg

The photo above, with a larger than life image of the model, is very cruel and exposes my modelling effort limitations. And the now more correct various slope angles are not obvious but it does look better in real life. This quick flash snap below gives a better (but not great) idea of the roof panels and the overall size of the model:

DSC_8989.JPG.ee4068db4df999937a3fa24d0738be1a.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, grahame said:

No problem. All helpful information is welcome.

I remember Turtles in Croydon. In fact I worked around the corner in the same block when it was still open.

So did I, Stephenson House, Carolyn House and Go Ahead House all by the station. Fantastic shop... could buy big machine tools to a single nut and bolt.

A little progress to report on the wagon. The casting chemicals kit turned up this morning so I've mixed up the RTV silicon rubber and the mould is currently curing. Hopefully I'll be able check it and remove the master tomorrow and maybe cast a few bodies, although I've got my cancer check up at hospital tomorrow as well. I just hope they don't keep me there for ages.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, grahame said:

A little progress to report on the wagon. The casting chemicals kit turned up this morning so I've mixed up the RTV silicon rubber and the mould is currently curing. Hopefully I'll be able check it and remove the master tomorrow and maybe cast a few bodies, although I've got my cancer check up at hospital tomorrow as well. I just hope they don't keep me there for ages.

I hope all goes well with your check up and that 2020 is a good year for you.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The RTV silicon rubber has set and now the mould is out of the box and the master is out of the mould. And a pot of tea is brewing. A quick visual inspection of the mould reveals that it looks fine and smooth although the real test will be to actually cast a few examples. In the meantime I'll pour myself a nice cuppa.

DSCN1389.JPG.c7e4c6b677f5e082181b92067ba730ac.JPG

• Like 6

The first cuppa out of the pot is drunk (and another is poured) and the first test casting is out of the mould. There appears to be about half a mil shrinkage in length but none in the width. There doesn't seem to be any bubble holes in the casting and I can't see where any cleaning up will be required. Overall I'm pleased with the result. 

DSCN1392.JPG.07b876286265ebf0bdd5ac637e4df6ec.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

A quick blast with grey primer makes it easier to see and inspect (and to photograph although this morning I've only been using my little compact camera and with flash so apologies):

DSCN1394.JPG.668b05e1d72b0cc43207bb5594d4aa8e.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I'm back. The good news is that the next appointment in 6 months time will be my last if everything is still clear and I'll be considered cured. But the whole trip has taken over four hours just to visit a hospital only 16 miles away and spend less than 10 minutes with the oncologist, so it's basically wiped out the day and effectively put the kibosh on casting more wagons today.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14